Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

steel wheels and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
tcp
Default steel wheels and TPMS

Well, I spoke with my dealer about a set of steel wheels for the winter and apparently he has them in stock now. $80Cdn each and I'm sure I need different lug nuts as well. I spoke with their service manager as well and he confirms, again, that there is no way to turn off the TPMS light or system. $80 each seems a bit high, but I may just get them anyway, as they will fit properly.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Default RE: steel wheels and TPMS

But if Iunderstand right, you still need to go to the dealer each time you change your wheels to have the TPMS reprogrammed for the new sensors ?

Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

if you continue to use the same TPMS transmitters, you wont have to do anything to the system.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 PM

i understand that, but it destroys the whole concept of having two sets of wheels, one for winter and one for summer.... because if you need to unmount and rebalance each time....you do not need two sets...

for me, my winter set waits in the garage...and i put them when i want not when I get can an appointment in the rush of the first snow....

The constructors should at least program the system to accept two series of transmitters without reprogramming....

Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
tcp

Sure, but I plan on not having ANY sensors in the winter wheels. I hope the light goes out again in the spring, when i put the original wheels(with the sensors in them) back on.

ORIGINAL: ZuluXls

But if Iunderstand right, you still need to go to the dealer each time you change your wheels to have the TPMS reprogrammed for the new sensors ?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 PM

that is my plan too...I will wait for a price decrease in the sensors when they are more common next year

Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 AM

The sensors have their own codes, in order for everything to work the car has to be taught the codes. The only way to teach it the codes is to take it to the dealer, they will charge you $50-$100 to learn the codes. It only knows one set of codes at a time, so if you have two sets of wheels and two sets of TPMS then every time you swap you have to take it to the dealer, or live with the blinking warning light.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 AM

I ask the same question yesterday to my dealer here in Ottawa Canada and he said that I would need to buy new sensor if I want to use the system in the winter time but he said that It does not mean that the mitsu sensor will work on aftermarket steel wheels because apparently there bigger then normal and on some wheel they just don't fit and I would need to reprogram everytime what i don't want to do. So he said the best way to go is with no sensor for the winter and to have the solid light in your dash ! I went to Costco last night and I check for winter Steel wheels instead of getting a 18' I will be getting a 16' that fit on the XLS for 37.99$ cnd each pretty damn cheep just the way I like it and I will put the 215-70-16 size that is the down size match to the 18' in toyo open country tires and I should be ready for winter !!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:10 AM

BAD NEWS'
I just called Mitsubishi Canada to ask them about not running sensor on the winter wheels and they said there no problem you will get the light in your dash (no problem so far) the bad news his that they said that I will need to go anyway to the dealer in the spring to get the dealer to reprogram the computer to remove the light in the dash because you can't just put your Oem wheels back because the light wont go away automatic it need the reprogram there's no workaround apparently !

Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM

wow that is pathetic! what a great system! [:@]

Quick Reply: steel wheels and TPMS