Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Steering wheel electronic controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
eso
Default Steering wheel electronic controls

2008 Outlander steering wheel controls for radio, phone and cruise control intermittently miscommunicating - increase radio volume button actually lowers volume but self corrects if I change stations. Hitting radio volume down button activates the hands free phone system. Cruise control won't engage until 3rd or 4th try. All these are intermittent. Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 AM

If its intermittent it sounds like a loose/damaged connector rather than a programming issue.

Try pressing the buttons while moving the wheel around, if you find a spot where they work fine but not in others it's the slip ring contacts.

Try stripping down the wheel (disconnect battery first) and checking everything is clean and plugged in correctly. Maybe remove slip ring and blow out dust (low pressure only) and check for free rotation.

There are plugs on each set of buttons, onto the slip ring, from the back of the slip ring and again on the controllers.

If all else fails I have a steering wheel and slip ring for sale..

Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Its under warranty so let them fix it. If you stuff it then its your problem.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM

I experienced exactly the same problemon my 2007 XLS. Could not replicate it when at the dealer though. After mentioning it to the dealer a number of times when I took it in for service they decidied to replace the "clock spring". Problem fixed and done under warranty.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yachtie
I experienced exactly the same problemon my 2007 XLS. Could not replicate it when at the dealer though. After mentioning it to the dealer a number of times when I took it in for service they decidied to replace the "clock spring". Problem fixed and done under warranty.

You beat me to it.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM

This just started happening in my 2010 Outlander. If it happens and I really go through a big turn of the steering wheel it will correct itself.

What is a "clock spring"?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
eso

Clock spring is a spiral metal band similar to a clock works, which is where the name comes. It allows for continuous electircal connection to steering wheel control buttons and airbags while the steering wheel is being turned. Wasn't a part of older vehicles because the steering wheel was only for steering the car but the addition of cruise and stereo controls and airbags required a new way to maintain electrical contact. They are apparently fairly prone to failure and many makes, but a relatively quick fix.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Funny, my clock spring got changed today. The dealer said that was one of the things he do frequently. For changing the clock spring and applying updates to the ECU, it took 40-45 minutes and both were under warranty.
I started having that problem 3-4 months after getting my new outlander sport. The dealer that sold me the car was clueless about the problem and couldn't do a thing. I moved and the local dealer knew about that issue.

I wonder why there's no TSB about that ....