Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Steering Wheel Feel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Default Steering Wheel Feel

Backing up from my driveway while the wheel is turn approx. 45 degrees and a slight floor height (maybe an inch) difference between the driveway and the main road, I can feel the weird feeling on the steering wheel. It's like when you're holding a metal bar at one end and someone is banging the other end. Any thought on this?

Thanks.

Last edited by pilcan; 07-10-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by pilcan
Backing up from my driveway while the wheel is turn approx. 45 degrees and a slight floor height (maybe an inch) difference between the driveway and the main road, I can feel the weird feeling on the steering wheel. It's like when you're holding a metal bar at one end and someone is banging the other end. Any thought on this?

Thanks.
Anyone?????

Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Never experienced anything like this on my Outlander.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Sorry I can't be of help, but I am replying as this happens to me all the time and am curious if anyone knows the cause too. My Outlander is brand new and I always thought it was one of its quirks, as it does this 99% of the time leaving my driveway.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM

I have no clue. This happened to my Ranger years ago. It eventually went away.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Wheels turned and an elevation change.. my thought would be front sway bar sticking. If one front wheel is higher than the other the sway bar twists in its bushing. Unnoticeable at speed but might creak at low speeds. After all, the sway bar is just one long metal rod.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Wheels turned and an elevation change.. my thought would be front sway bar sticking. If one front wheel is higher than the other the sway bar twists in its bushing. Unnoticeable at speed but might creak at low speeds. After all, the sway bar is just one long metal rod.
You're exactly right on all descriptions you mentioned. Not too long ago my mechanic replaced the two front stabilizers, are those connected to the sway bar?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Theyre is some loose use of some of the terms, but if you replaced "two front stabilizers" my guess is in your case the answer is yes. Some cars use a sway bar with two bars with bushings that connect the sway bar to the left and right control arms.

I would guess he used cheap replacements or overtightened the bolts that hold the stabilizers to the control arm or sway bar that is your problem. You may try lubing the plastic bushings with a penetrating oil and it may help.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Theyre is some loose use of some of the terms, but if you replaced "two front stabilizers" my guess is in your case the answer is yes. Some cars use a sway bar with two bars with bushings that connect the sway bar to the left and right control arms.

I would guess he used cheap replacements or overtightened the bolts that hold the stabilizers to the control arm or sway bar that is your problem. You may try lubing the plastic bushings with a penetrating oil and it may help.
Another thing I notice is turning the wheel back and forth makes knocking noise when engine is off. Is this a sign of lacking worn bushing? BTW, when I said "front stabilizers", what I mean is front stabilizer links. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by pilcan
Another thing I notice is turning the wheel back and forth makes knocking noise when engine is off. Is this a sign of lacking worn bushing? BTW, when I said "front stabilizers", what I mean is front stabilizer links. Thanks.
Update: At stand still while engine is off or running, I can hear knocking noise when I'm turning the wheel to the right. Is this something major and safety issue? Or just a case of replacing one the bushings?
Thanks for any input on this.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Feel