Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Strange questions. Advice Need.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Default Strange questions. Advice Need.

Hello.

I want to say a big respect and many thanks from our clubfor your advices.It really helped us.

Next packet of unbreakable questions about our loved Outie'07:

1) After short ride warm (hot?) brakes make an awful noise when I slightly press pedal on slow/medium speed. On cold brakes - never. Why? How to cure? Brakes cleaninig helpsabout 500-2000km after thatthe noise appears again.

2)On the ride in 4WD/Lock modethe space around rear right wheel starts to smell. When I make a short stop thisodour appears in cabin. Rear left wheel never smells. Theodour is like as "warm transmission fluid" or "hot brakes pads". When I start to drive - the smellleaves the cabin. WhenI drive in 2WD mode - theodour fully disappear.

3) Some our guys in same cases feel another smell - like as "burned tire (rezin)" or "sulphur-hydrogen (not sure for translation - like as putrid eggs)". Why ?

4) Strange "crisp" I hear when drive on slow speed via "recumbent cop (again not sure for translation - artifical barrier on the road near the schools etc". I hear it under the bonnet,on topof front suspension. Dealer use somelubricant andtold"okay". Is it normal?

5) Very strangewindwashers: when car stopped,they work perfectly and cover the windshield. When car speed reaches 40-60kmph they spray on the wipers. There are 3 solutions but all of them are stupid:
a) Ilifted it direction up accurate. When my car stopped - they spray on the top, on20-40 kmph- normal, after 60kmph - on wipers again.
b) Someour guys found fluid valves under the bonnet cover and removed them. Better but fluid leak on the bonnet after using. Inaccurate.
c) Some guys experienced withwashers from Mazda, Volvo etc. Is there the only solution?

---
Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Strange questions. Advice Need.

When a CAT convertor goes bad you can get a rotten egg smell. But it should happen in 2wd mode too. Are they the original brakes? If so it could be time to change them. Possibly hitting the little warning metal piece built inside. Of if the brakes were replaced its just going to make the noise sometimes and theres nothing you can really do about it. We have a pick up that we changed the brakes on that will squeek sometimes randomly for no reason. We changed the brakes on other cars and dont have this problem. Your washer fluid problem seems to be it doesnt have enough power while driving to spray up on the windshield the way you described it. The pump might be going bad and it might not be powerful enough to spray high enough with the wind.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

When a CAT convertor goes bad you can get a rotten egg smell.
HowI cancheck CAT convertor health?

But it should happen in 2wd mode too.
Idon't experience a "rotten egg" smell. Why smell appears around rear righ wheel? May be exchaust output too hot and near to tire ("burned rezin" odour) ?

Are they the original brakes? If so it could be time to change them. Possibly hitting the little warning metal piece built inside.
I know that sound. No. The noise that I told - very loudy and low tone. Really awful. Other drivers see on my car with wondering. [:@]It happen onlywhen brakes are hot. When they cold - never.

Of if the brakes were replaced its just going to make the noise sometimes and theres nothing you can really do about it. We have a pick up that we changed the brakes on that will squeek sometimes randomly for no reason. We changed the brakes on other cars and dont have this problem.
Change to new OEM brakes helps about 500-2000km. After that - again.

Your washer fluid problem seems to be it doesnt have enough power while driving to spray up on the windshield the way you described it. The pump might be going bad and it might not be powerful enough to spray high enough with the wind.
100% of our guys experienced that problem. Even when fluid tank is full. Our windwashers spray the fluid like pulverizer on windscreen. Do yours same? Give they a strong spouts?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Yes, I own a Canadian Outie XLS, and my washer does the same. I was driving, and spray on the window, and it was spraying kind of low. When I stoped at a light, and spray again, it cover the window pretty well. The fluid was full as well. I'm not sure whats the problem, but I think I can still live with it before a soluntion comes out to how to fix this problem.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM

ask your Mrs. for a pin from her sewing kit place sharp end in to washer jet and adjust to required position by moving the pin up down side etc the nozzles move with said pin in them

puddy

Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Most of your bad smells could be atributed to one thing, the power steering fluid reservoir. It sits really close to the AC vents, the fluid has a really strong odor, try smelling it and you'll see. This probably explains why the smell gets in the cabin while you'r at a stand still and it goes away while you're moving, because its being washed away with most of the air around your car. I had this same smell when my car was new, let the powersteering fluid acumulate some miles and it should stop smelling so strong and geting inside. As far as the smell in the rear, I dont know what that could be.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

The windshield wiper nozles are working correctly. At a stand-still they spray the whole windshield. When moving, WIND, effects the way it sprays.

At higher speeds yes it sprays low. I dont have any problems with it working, just have to use more fluid...

With your smell and brake problem.... warranty. dealer. its NOT natural.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: puddy

ask your Mrs. for a pin from her sewing kit place sharp end in to washer jet and adjust to required position by moving the pin up down side etc the nozzles move with said pin in them
Thank you. As I wrote - I did it (see the solution (a)). Now better but I want something really work.

With your smell and brake problem.... warranty. dealer. its NOT natural
Very strange. About 90% of our guys have this problem with loud noise when brakes are hot. [:@]

Most of your bad smells could be atributed to one thing, the power steering fluid reservoir. It sits really close to the AC vents, the fluid has a really strong odor, try smelling it and you'll see. This probably explains why the smell gets in the cabin while you'r at a stand still and it goes away while you're moving, because its being washed away with most of the air around your car. I had this same smell when my car was new, let the powersteering fluid acumulate some miles and it should stop smelling so strong and geting inside.
Thank you. I check that odour. My mileage is 6000km. I think this fluid must "acumulate some miles". But as I wrote - in 2WD mode I never feel this smell.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 AM

1) R u driving your Outtie hard most of the time? In other words do you drive fast, take corners at speed, race with your club friends? This could be the main cause of your noisy brakes. Heating them up too much will make them expand and rub the pads/connectors making them squeak. That's why it goes away when they arecool. Also some pads are better than others. In your part of the world you may just have bad pads. I've had cars before with this kind of issue and I made the dealer change at least 4 sets of pads in a month because of excessive noise. It was later learned that it was a problem from the manufacturer of the pads and they stopped using that brand.

2) No idea.

3) Did you hit an animal or carcass/roadkill that's imbedded in the undercarriage? Otherwise like has been said i'd go with a faulty catalytic convertor or possibly adifferetial fluid leak on that side of the axle.

4) Don't quite understand the noise as you explained it, but could be a number of things -A/C compressor cycling, ABS brakes resetting, serpentine belt that's bad, or if it's a continuous clicking noise it could be a nail/rock in yourtire. I had an issue with a continuous clicking noise on my Mazda 3that was only present in gear and went away when the cluck was depressed. I could hear it plain as day when driving next to road barriers or homes with the windows down. It ended up being a bad belt and once replaced it went away completely.

5) Normal when at speed.

Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM

1) After short ride warm (hot?) brakes make an awful noise when I slightly press pedal on slow/medium speed. On cold brakes - never. Why? How to cure? Brakes cleaning helpsabout 500-2000km after thatthe noise appears again.
I've never experienced this.

2)On the ride in 4WD/Lock modethe space around rear right wheel starts to smell. When I make a short stop thisodor appears in cabin. Rear left wheel never smells. Theodor is like as "warm transmission fluid" or "hot brakes pads". When I start to drive - the smellleaves the cabin. WhenI drive in 2WD mode - theodor fully disappear.
Is this over pavement, do you also get the smell, if you ride in 4WD/Lock on Snow or dirt roads?

3) Some our guys in same cases feel another smell - like as "burned tire (rezin)" or "sulphur-hydrogen (not sure for translation - like as putrid eggs)". Why ?
Do these guys have a different brand of tires, than the ones with the other smell?

4) Strange "crisp" I hear when drive on slow speed via "recumbent cop (again not sure for translation - artifical barrier on the road near the schools etc". I hear it under the bonnet,on topof front suspension. Dealer use somelubricant andtold"okay". Is it normal?
I assume that you mean when going over what we call a speed bump, I hear the same thing, I haven't asked the dealer to look into it yet, I had a car previously that also did that, and it eventually went away.

5) Very strangewindwashers: when car stopped,they work perfectly and cover the windshield. When car speed reaches 40-60kmph they spray on the wipers. There are 3 solutions but all of them are stupid:
a) Ilifted it direction up accurate. When my car stopped - they spray on the top, on20-40 kmph- normal, after 60kmph - on wipers again.
b) Someour guys found fluid valves under the bonnet cover and removed them. Better but fluid leak on the bonnet after using. Inaccurate.
c) Some guys experienced withwashers from Mazda, Volvo etc. Is there the only solution?
The windshield washer spray is not great, I typically just give it 4-5 bursts of spray, I find that this tends to do a better job.

Quick Reply: Strange questions. Advice Need.