Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Strange questions. Advice Need.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Default RE: Strange questions. Advice Need.

1) R u driving your Outtie hard most of the time? In other words do you drive fast, take corners at speed, race with your club friends? This could be the main cause of your noisy brakes. Heating them up too much will make them expand and rub the pads/connectors making them squeak. That's why it goes away when they arecool.
No. It happened when I drove in normal, city mode.

Also some pads are better than others. In your part of the world you may just have bad pads. I've had cars before with this kind of issue and I made the dealer change at least 4 sets of pads in a month because of excessive noise. It was later learned that it was a problem from the manufacturer of the pads and they stopped using that brand.
Do anybody tell the original partnumbers of front brakes pads installed in his Outie? I thinkdifferent brands may be the reason.

quote:
2)On the ride in 4WD/Lock modethe space around rear right wheel starts to smell. When I make a short stop thisodor appears in cabin. Rear left wheel never smells. Theodor is like as "warm transmission fluid" or "hot brakes pads". When I start to drive - the smellleaves the cabin. WhenI drive in 2WD mode - theodor fully disappear.

Is this over pavement, do you also get the smell, if you ride in 4WD/Lock on Snow or dirt roads?
Even on dirt/snow/dry pavement I have the smell in cabin in 4WD mode.

quote:
3) Some our guys in same cases feel another smell - like as "burned tire (rezin)" or "sulphur-hydrogen (not sure for translation - like as putrid eggs)". Why ?
Do these guys have a different brand of tires, than the ones with the other smell?
Of course. We discussed about this smell long winter nights Drive in Russia w/o snow tires like as self-killing. Every our guy has different tire brand. Almost popular Nokian Hakkapeliita 5, Michelin X-Ice, Good year Ultra Grip etc.
Will ask they about the couple "the smell + tire brand" and will write here.

I assume that you mean when going over what we call a speed bump,
Thank you. Will know.

I hear the same thing, I haven't asked the dealer to look into it yet, I had a car previously that also did that, and it eventually went away.
Agree. Ihave drove about 60000km on Outie'05 and time-by-timeheard this crisp. But nothing wrong. Thank you.

I find that this tends to do a better job.
Our guys have good experience with Mazda's washers. Ever of couple has 4 (four!) independed strong spouts.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Ohhhh a speed bump, yea my front suspension makes a weird noise when I go over them or hit big dips in the road.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Got to say I have not experienced any of those problems, Sergy. I drive around in 4WD Lock all the time, no smells or other concerns. Your "Number 3" smell sounds to me like a Catalytic convertor type smell, which is a common occurence on all modern cars normally most noticable under hard acceleration.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Your "Number 3" smell sounds to me like a Catalytic convertor type smell, which is a common occurence on all modern cars normally most noticable under hard acceleration
Yes. Some of our drivers tell that this odour appear after hard acceleration.

What kind of smell can be caused cat convertor under hard accelleration?
Rotten egg? Burned rezin? Warm transmisson fluid?

Where I can to read about this?

Thank you.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Could it be sulfure in the fuel?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Correct, Chenarm. This writeup is fairly simple to understand:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/stinkyexhaust.html

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM

For the odor.

1. Check tire inflation

2. Balance all 4 tires

3. Four wheel alignment, front to rear

I have had one tire give a bad smell because it was wearing incorrectly. Check the tread depth around the circumfrence and across the width of the entire tire where the smell is coming from.

Because in 2wd the tire follows, in 4WD the tire pushes it can cause the tire to warm more than in 2WD and amplify imperfections.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 AM

This writeup is fairly simple to understand:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/stinkyexhaust.html
Thank you. I read it and translated to our guys.

For the odor.
1. Check tire inflation
2. Balance all 4 tires
3. Four wheel alignment, front to rear
I have had one tire give a bad smell because it was wearing incorrectly. Check the tread depth around the circumfrence and across the width of the entire tire where the smell is coming from.
Because in 2wd the tire follows, in 4WD the tire pushes it can cause the tire to warm more than in 2WD and amplify imperfections.
I'll check my rear right tire. But nothing wrong about it pressure - about 4-5 month my high-side wheels (215/70 R16) don't worried me.
Thank you.