Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

strange sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Default strange sound when turning

hey guys hoping that you can help me out. my truck is making weird noises when i turn, the guys in the service dept tell me that it is nothing to worry about it is just the cold... NO WAY do i belive that, been in 2 times now. i thought it may have been bad saddle bushings on my sway bar or even CV joints... the service manager told me that is just the sound my intake makes... hahaha an intake, awesome... give it a listen and let me know what you think... these are the videos I made for the dealership

Old 02-11-2014, 04:09 PM

I haven't heard anything like this from mine and we've been in -25C and below... Did you/they check that it's not a tire rubbing on something?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 PM

yes sir no tire rub, completely clean and no ice chunks

Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 PM

I've never heard that noise but it sounds like a rubbing on plastic sound to me but I'm no mechanic...

Does it matter if your turn is sharp or not? Distance of the wheel?

What if you change speeds while turning? Does the frequency change?

Might want to have them see if the problem occurs with it off the ground on the lift...

If you can safely gain some speed then try steering left or right with no throttle see if you get the noise too...

What if your not moving and turn the wheel lock to lock?

Check for any uneven tire wear and double check any signs of rubbing on fender liners etc.

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 02-11-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM

I have a similar noise in my 2007 Outlander that I am trying to resolve. There was a TSB on my model, not sure about your year. It is the front wheel bearings. Here is the TSB: http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...derbearing.jpg

or here:
Outlander Online Community • Login

Last edited by alsaaron; 02-12-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM

Does it make a different if you are in 2WD vs 4WD? I have a similar noise, but not as loud, when its 4WD and 4WD lock only.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

So my wife has been complaining for the past month about this noise, but I've never heard it and she couldn't describe it for me to get an idea. Here are her conditions:
  • It only happens on cold days 20's & below
  • It becomes less when it warms up...she only has 4 turns, then she's going straight for a while.
  • She is always in 4Auto
I've just changed the tranny fluid a few thousand miles ago...and I've kept really good maintenance on that.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
So my wife has been complaining for the past month about this noise, but I've never heard it and she couldn't describe it for me to get an idea. Here are her conditions:
  • It only happens on cold days 20's & below
  • It becomes less when it warms up...she only has 4 turns, then she's going straight for a while.
  • She is always in 4Auto
I've just changed the tranny fluid a few thousand miles ago...and I've kept really good maintenance on that.
I also have the same problem with my 2009 Outlander ES 4WD under the conditions that you described above. The only difference I would say is that I don't always drive 4WD Auto.
It's really annoying coz by the time I reach my dealer, it stops making that noise as the engine has warmed up by then.
Please let me know if you were able to fix it somehow.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Could it be the wheel bearing in the tsb?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM

TIB & CC spot on to what i am dealing with, not in 4wd though it happens in 2wd. just drives me nuts!

Quick Reply: strange sound when turning