Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

A stupid afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 AM
tcp
Default A stupid afternoon

I finally got my wife to agree to the hood deflector and wanted to install it on saturday afternoon. I needed to adjust the latch mechanism upward a few millimeters for there to be enough room between the hood and grill for the deflector to come through. I unhooked the remote hood cable end to make some room and aftera fewminutes of wrenching, managed to move the striker upwards and were it would work.

I installed the deflector temporarily with the double sided tape and checked that the hood would close, which it did. Very easy, right. It would have been fine, but i didn't reattach the cable before "testing" whether it would close. How do you open the hood without the remote cable attached?

Here's the procedure:
-Kick yourself around the garage for a few minutes for being an idiot.
-take off the plastic bottom plate under the front bumper for about 10 minutes(there are a LOT of fasteners) and then realize that does no good at all. kick yourself for being an idiot.
-build a hook out of a coat hanger and spend 1.5 hours trying to hook the mechanism from the front of the vehicle. kick yourself throughout for being an idiot.
-break off a piece of plastic from the grill(very small piece, not really noticable). kick yourself for being an idiot.
- finally pop the hood and again kick yourself for being an idiot, because you're starting to enjoy it.

Anyway, the deflector is in place and everything is back together.

One other thing, i changed the oil/filter as well (2700kms on the car now) and the original filter was a different size than the ones i picked up from the dealer. The threads and seal are the same size, but the body diameter was different.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Default RE: A stupid afternoon

lol... been there, done that.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Can I get a few free kicks on you too?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM

I dont know how I forgot

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 09-02-2007, 01:04 PM

That was too funny.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Oh snap...... sucks to be you pal

Old 09-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Wow...someone like me ROFL.

At least you didnt coat your entire engine compartment with brake fluid which is really really bad [:@] I cant take credit for it though I had someone just like us helping they forgot to latch the cover on the master cylinder. Poor old truck [&o]

On a lighter note along the lines of being a bermuda triangle, the brake line went out in my other old car maybe we can avoid the stupids again this time.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 AM

TCP,

Good to know that I'm not the only idiot around here. I'm not a car handy kind of guy. It took me good 2 hours to change the motor oil and oil filter which included to set up the working area and clean up afterward. Then I found out someone in this forum needed to replace the engine because he was using after market oil filter. I use another 1.5 hours to change back the original oil filter. I didn't want to take the chance for my 5 month old Outie. BTW, Ienjoy your post a lot. Very good sense of humour.