Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Default RE: Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS

Couple of comments:

1. The PATS-MITS2 is not an alternative to the CAN-SL2. They are two different things. The first is a key transponder bypass and the second is the BUS protocol translator to do all the things mentioned above (doors, alarm, tach,etc). I will have both. Tomorrow is the install, my fingers are crossed.

2. So the 07 smart keys have the slide out key with the chip in the plastic housing on the key itself. The 08 has the slide out key like in the images I posted. However, the transponder chip is in the Smart Key itself, not on the key. The key alone cannot start the car (I tried). The key needs to be slid into the smart key, backside in FOB, teeth out and then insert in the ignition and turn. Interesting. Wonder why they changed this.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM

The different modules that guys are talking about actually have the same frequency as would the key so in a sense a signal to the comp that the key is in the ing. so it will start. The ones you use a spare key are just universal moduals and would work on just about any car, but if you don't want to get a spare key made to put in there you could just use the spefic modual for that car. A lot of them now are switching over to be computer program so that way you can have a universal modual made spefic for what ever car. I work at Best Buy as mobile installer and I can't say how much this has made my life easier.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM

hmmm, interesting inputs dekodan and N/Teclipse

dekodan,
pls do update us on your remote starter install, id like to learn more on the technical aspects of stuff like this since in concerns our cars that we practically use everyday
just a clarification though, so youll be putting in both the PATS and CAN modules? or youll have a module that does both?

N/Teclipse,
so your saying there is still a way to get my "emergency" key back and just have that "universal" module made/ installed to have the remote start functioning the way it is?
where do i go for this? any links for any technical info or diagrams that i can show my installers so they can try it on my car?
if itll cost much less than having another key made and programmed, i guess its worth a shot...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Here is the key fob for the '07 XLS:

[IMG]local://upfiles/14180/AC6A7CE12D6E41DC89277097F1B7643F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14180/D427F7C661534429A6F2249E986AF032.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14180/52291F4E0E464EE59E902AC65D57FC0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM

and...

[IMG]local://upfiles/14180/793860B60F0C45D4A871BC41AAC8D111.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Further NEWS:

I had the starter installed on Friday with both the CAN-SL2 and PAT-MITS2 module. Good news and bad news. The unit is working well, the CAN-SL2 is doing its job to talk to the bus to do things like unlock the doors, tach signal, alarm disarm, rearm etc. However, the PAT-MITS2 module to learn the key and bypass is not working. The programming of it is very tricky and requires a very precise timing. The install shop is looking up how to get the timing done right and I am back in Tuesday afternoon (Dec 11th) to try again.

As it stands now, the starter is working when I leave the key and fob in the ignition. Of course, THIS MAKES NO SENSE. Lol... But it was for testing purposes only.

I'll update with further news after tomorrow.

Dan

Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM

OK, further news:

Still no success.. Went to my installer, they could not get the PAT-MITS2 to program because Canadian 2008 vehicles in Canada fall under the new Transport Canada Immobilizer regulations. Key's (and transponders) can no longer be programmed outside of a dealership.

So I called my Mitsubishi dealership and they were well aware of this information. I should have checked with them first. Oh well, it's just costing me cash, time and gas. On the bright side, I get to drive my Outlander and enjoy Sirius radio a lot. LOL

So, plan C or is it plan D now? Anyway, going to Mitsubishi with my PAT-MITS2 transponder to be programmed. Of course, all my F.A.S.T. keys (2) have to be reporgrammed at the same time. If this works, I'll be in business. If it does not, my last resort is to do exactly the same as the first post in this thread, use a key. In my case, that would mean buying a $175 key from Mitsu and have them program it. Then it will be placed under the steering column.

So more news to come tomorrow. Mitsu at 12pm, installer at 2pm. 3rd time lucky ?

We'll see.

For once, I am a guinea pig; usually I am reading posts to avoid these situations.

LOL
Dan

Old 12-12-2007, 03:49 PM

nice to hear that your remote start is up and running
had a recent talk with my installer and, as it turns out, they chose to use my emergency key over the PATS module mainly because of the apprehension that they may not be able to program it they way it should
i would have liked it if there was some way that i didnt have to sacrifice a key to have remote start, theyre freaking expensive..

hope everything works out ok for you

Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Default ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL INSTALL!!!!!!!! DONE

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PATS-MITSUBISHI2 Transponder took the codes today no problem at the dealership! Much cheaper option than buying a new key which by the way, in the case of the XLS is $175 for the key and programming at my dealer + tax. My PATS-MITSUBISHI2 module from fortin was very in expensive plus $69 to have the dealer program my FAST keys and the transponder. Essentially 1 hour shop time.

So the remote starter is fully functional. I have locks, defroster, arm-disrarm alarm, etc.

1. So, I can start the car no problem.
2. I can approach the car with FAST key in pocket, open the doors, no problem.
3. Same problem as the initial post, when entering the car, as soon as I step on the brake, the starter cuts out, have to restart with the key cover. Optionally, as mentioned before, I can remove the key cover and place the metal key in the ignition and turn to ign. However, as stated before, that's a pain in the a$$. I prefer to restart the car.

Defrost, if anyone is interested has to be tapped in at the relay switch at the fuse breaker box. The harness connected to the back of the defrost button itselfis a pure DATA bus line and cannot be triggered without dismantling the switch and hard wiring a relay to it. The heated mirrors kick in too!

Bottom, line, I am very happy with the setup after all these trials. I hope the information in this thread is going to help people out; it's a damn complicated setup.

Also, if anyone is interested in purchasing the PATS-MITSUBISHI2 transponder and the CAN-SL2 Bus, Fortin DOES NOT sell to the public. You can only buy the components through an authorized dealer. However, PM me and I can buy them for you and ship them to you at special pricing. I have an inside connection. The PATS-MITSUBISHI2 transponder cost + programming at your dealership will cost you less than buying a new key and getting it programmed. It's also a better option than sacrificing your emergency key ifyou have one. The 2008 XLS does not come with that; only two FAST keys which I am sure no one wants to sacrifice.

If you're in the Ottawa Ontario region, I can refer you to my installer who is now intimitely acquainted with the 2008 Outlander XLS...

Cheers,
Dan

Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Default RE: ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL INSTALL!!!!!!!! DONE

I guess I'll wait 'till an aftermarket remote starter/security system releasedwith built-in transponder bypass.

I consider security of the car with this kind of setup, mentionedby 'dekodan' and otherscompromised for the following reasons:
1. Presence of immobilizer bypass (equivalent to a transponder key kept in the car).
One can easily figure how to supply 12 volt to this PAT-MITS2 box permanently with couple of jumper wiresrendering imobilizer partuseless.
2. breaking the ignition lock is always possible and would be the only thing to stop thieves now.

My ideal setup would look like:

A remote starter/alarm system that can communicate with ECU just as a transponder key, eliminating the RF coil and other factory installed parts,
also CAN-SL2 enabled to access/control other importantfunctions. Thus, completely eliminating factory transponders and making an armed car impossible to crank/start without remote controller.

Setup that might work Ok:

A remote starter/alarm with user replaceable/configurable PAT-MITS2 module inside one tamperproof enclosure. This should be more secure.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any comments from experts will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Quick Reply: Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS