Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Suddenly burning/losing oil??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Default Suddenly burning/losing oil??

Hey all,

I have a 2009 Outlander LS 4WD V6. There is 33,000km on it and have never lost or burnt one drop of oil. I went to check the oil this morning (car has not been started yet this morning) and the level was down to right in the middle of the dots (it is always right at the top dot). There is no oil on the ground.

Any idea what could cause such a drop in oil level in a short time (checked maybe 2 weeks ago)?? Exhaust looks normal.

I wouldn't think, but can temperature affect oil level? It was rather friggin' cold last night and this morning, but I have checked it in the winter before and no problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM

I think it would. Aren't there usually hot/cold marks on engine oil? I know there is on transmission fluid.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I think it would. Aren't there usually hot/cold marks on engine oil? I know there is on transmission fluid.

I guess the thing is it has NEVER fluctuated no matter what temp I have checked it in if I alwyas checked it in the morning before the car was turned on. This time the level was lower (-15 degrees celcius in Nova Scotia) than it ever was in -30 in Alberta.

I was just really shocked to see it down from it's normal spot

Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM

A quick google search showed this BITOG post with others also commenting on how their vehicles showed lower oil levels in very cold temperatures:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...t&Number=37606

Here is the google search for only BITOG pages:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3...el+temperature

Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by nesser
A quick google search showed this BITOG post with others also commenting on how their vehicles showed lower oil levels in very cold temperatures:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...t&Number=37606

Here is the google search for only BITOG pages:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3...el+temperature
Hey man,

Thanks for doing that. I did the same after I posted it. But like I said, mine NEVER changed before (if it was 1 degree or -40, the level was still the same first thing in the morning).

It was at the normal level about 10 days ago, and now it is down between the 2 holes on the dipstick. I'm just wondering what could have happened for it to suddenly go down since I am not seeing bluish smoke or any oil on the ground.

I would look for leaks on the underside of the car, but we just had it rust checked (well, Krowned), so everything is goopy.

If there was an internal leak, would there be other signs?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm guessing you are 3k km into this oil change if you use a 6k km oil change interval. Did you use a different brand of oil? Gone synthetic lately any other changes you can think of that might have an effect?

Ok, well let's brainstorm things that can cause your oil level to drop - I'm not saying these apply to your case:
  • Double gasket on oil filter - you'd be losing a lot of oil - I've had this on my old cavalier it was visible under the vehicle (little puddle)
  • Leak from the crush gasket around the oil drain plug
  • Leak from the connections to the external oil cooler
  • Gasket leak between the lower and upper oil pans
  • Non level ground for dipstick reading
  • Oil not leached into the sump for dipstick reading (still clinging to engine parts)
  • Oil filter wasn't filled after oil change and burped out some air? Probably not very likely.
  • Engine valve/seal leaks into cylinders
  • Not sure of other conditions inside the engine to cause it to consume oil
  • ???
There are probably more I'm not aware of since I'm not a mechanic.
I think a leak from the oil/coolant exchange in the engine would be making up oil level with coolant but it could go the other way too I guess.

From my reading a little oil consumption isn't a big deal.
Since you're still under warranty you can relax.

Temperatures around here were -23°C over the weekend. My Outlander has never seen that kind of cold - thanks Alberta for the arctic air! I'm sure glad I had the transmission reflashed otherwise I'd be harsh shifting all over the road until she warmed up.

Last edited by nesser; 01-26-2011 at 11:30 AM.