Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Suspension Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 07:46 PM
Default Suspension Springs

I am getting a really harsh ride so I swapped out the stock shock absorbers with all KYB fronts and backs at the time new springs were not available so I still have stock oem springs. So now my question if I replace the old beat up springs with fresh ones will it improve the ride quality making the pot holes and road imperfections more tolerable?

Which springs do you guys recommend I found these three options so far:

1. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11718045&cc=1442157

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11718797&cc=1442157

2. https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/24594

3. https://m.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&g roup=Sport+Spring+Set&partNum=29081.1&autoMake=Mit subishi&autoModel=Outlander&autoYear=2008&autoModC lar=XLS

Which ones do you guys recommend? Do you know of any other quality options?

Thank-You Any Help is Appreciated!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:31 AM

Was the ride always harsh or did it start recently?

These springs are known to break if in the rusty areas. Did they look ok when you replaced the shocks? Do they make any noises when going over bumps? KYBs generally ride a bit stiffer when new so maybe give it some time to break-in.

I think my ride could be better as well and my steering wheel follows the grooves and gets thrown off center on every little bump so I have to always have a grip on the steering wheel. I believe it is due to worn control arm bushings. Have you checked these?

What kind of tires and size of wheels do you have? I have the stock 18s on mine and its firm, but not too bad on potholes etc.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by eloMeTh
Was the ride always harsh or did it start recently?

These springs are known to break if in the rusty areas. Did they look ok when you replaced the shocks? Do they make any noises when going over bumps? KYBs generally ride a bit stiffer when new so maybe give it some time to break-in.

I think my ride could be better as well and my steering wheel follows the grooves and gets thrown off center on every little bump so I have to always have a grip on the steering wheel. I believe it is due to worn control arm bushings. Have you checked these?

What kind of tires and size of wheels do you have? I have the stock 18s on mine and its firm, but not too bad on potholes etc.

When I first got Isabella she ate speed bumps and potholes up for lunch could not feel a thing that was back in 2008 lol but as the suspension got used up the oem original shock absorbers started to leak and were dying. I wanted to swap the oem beat up springs out but unfortunately Firestone could not source them from their supply shop. So they suggested I go lifetime warranty KYB shocks on all 4 and reuse the old springs they are not cracked or making noise just been rode on and used up. Right now she is riding at about 65 to 70% comfort level. I hope that by getting some quality springs all around I can get to as close as 100% comfort as I can.

The KYBs all around job was huge I had all control arms and tierods replaced as well. Frankly I am passing this truck to my son I want it to have as many quality parts as it can.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 PM

I called the dealer its $133.00 Each Front Spring $131.28 Each Rear Spring, would you guys go aftermarket or pay extra for the OEM Springs?

Old 04-08-2021, 09:41 PM

Geez thats almost $600 after taxes for OEM springs. If the car is for your son it might be worth it to use OEM if they revised the springs so that they weren't so weak in colder climates. Honestly I don't think the springs would improve the ride comfort too much unless they are broken, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:02 PM

I'm leaning toward the ones from Rockauto they also come with a lifetime warranty