Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Terrible insulation....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Terrible insulation....

European mileage is expressed differently. For Europeans, fuel consumption is measured in liters per 100 kilometers (L/100km), whereas Japanese automobile "mileage" is given as "km/l" (which is analogous to the US style of miles per gallon). So:

1 US gallon = 3.785412 liters
1 UK gallon = 4.54609 liters

Name:  conversiones_1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  9.9 KB

Therefore, making the conversions of units, the data that you obtained in your test are correct. . .

Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM

I have never use the paddle shifting mode since I have the truck. Tomorrow it suppose to be -25 degre so I will try the paddle shifting instead of the regular trani to see if it's going to slip. So after review 18 mpg = 13,07 L/100....22mpg = 10,69L/100.....24mpg = 9.80 L/100. Ciaos...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM

I think your talkng about when someone put dyno mat inthere carfor better sound not for exhaust noise.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes , but putting dyno mat it's especialy to reduce the interior noise from the outside road noise ( tires, motor, exaust, etc...). The point is to keep the interior quiet proof. But at 40 000$ cadadian , I was expecting getting the most quiet interior of a Japanese car, but it's the result is not there, my wife as a Nissan that is 20 000$ less and more insulate from the road noise......I should have driven on a long trip before buying, maybe I would'n have change my mind.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM

I still dont understand how it could be loud enough to give you a headache (unless you are whimpy). If its that loud there is something wrong.

You never know this could be under there[:-] http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/12/17...er-a-mattress/

Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

I also get very bad mileage in the city, about 16-18 L/100km but I think that it has more to do with the city planners that have gone stop sign crazy around here, I have tried using alternative routes that are longer but with less stops and I can get 12-13 L/100km. Also remember that as itgets colder so you mileage will suffer.
I have also experienced a hesitating transmission but only when it's very cold. As for the noise when the car is cold I find that it is very noisy when accelerating, but it gets much better after it's warmed up. Funny enough my wife also has a Nissan but I find that her car is noisier than mine, She has an 08 Altima 2.5 SL.

Bonne route!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 AM

I just drove down 295 a highway around here in NJ. I was doing 85mph with the radio off and couldnt hear the exhaust at all. I would love to take a ride in yours. I just cant imagine hearing the exuast.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM

I am happy to ear that Chenarm as the same reflection whit is Outie, we live in cold area an what Chenarm describe is exactly what I'm killing myself to explain for the past few days. I get the same gas mileage and the cold experience whit the SUV. Finally someone to understand me. Thank god , I'm not crazy......

Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Colder weather will hurt your gas mileage. My recent fill up was 17.1 L/100km.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM

I have been reading this thread for a few days now and here are my comments with some cold hard facts. First off, the complaints about the noise and the mileage are unfounded.

Let's talk about mileage first. For the most part the testing by the different government bodies relating fuel consumption is done almost the same way. Here is a general link to Natural Resources Canada and the methodology. http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/Publications/...2008/index.cfm

More specifically, for city and highway driving here are thetests: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/...fm?attr=8#city

If you read it carefully you will notice that they're not entirely real-life tests. But this is not the point, they are designed to provide consistent testing to publish numbers that allow the consumer to compare fuel consumption levels between vehicles. They are never what any vehicle really gets in real life. The weather, tire inflation, your driving habits, etc, all come into play.

Here are the officialpublished results for the Outlander 3.0 V6:

City Average 12.3 litres / 100km or 23 miles per Gallon
Highway Average 8.5 litres / 100km or 33 miles per Gallon

Now, as for real world, here are my numbers (present day winter and many windy days):

City average 13.75 litres / 100km or 17.1 miles per Gallon
Highway average 10.12 litres / 100km or 23.24 miles per Gallon (Note, I was cruising at 125 km/hour or 78 miles per hour)

You'll notice there are huge disparities, but it is the same disparity I had from the published numbers and real-life results when I owned a Honda Accord. The mileage I am getting with my Outlander is not that outrageous considering that it is a 4X4, it weighsa lot, it's hardly aerodynamic since it is an SUV. If you want fuel efficient, by a Prius. If you want an SUV, suck it up, it costs more to operate.

On to the noise:
I don't find the Outlander very noisy and I own and have owned several vehicles. But on to the hard facts. Here are some real numbers I found from a forum relating to the cabin level noises of a 2008 Honda Accord that even has Active Noise Cancellation (ANC):

Baseline:
Accord Cabin Noise Baseline
Engine running idle in garage 58.5 db
45 mph (72 kph) = 67.1 db
55 mph (88 kph) = 71.7 db
65 mph (104 kph) = 72.9 db
75 mph (120 kph)= 73.5 db

Now, I have an SPL meter and went out to do my tests of the Outlander. Holding the Meter a ear level height in the drivers position, here are my results at the same speeds. Ready for this?

Baseline:
Outlander Cabin Noise Baseline
Engine running idle in garage 55 db
45 mph (72 kph) =67 db
55 mph (88 kph) = 72 db
65 mph (104 kph) = 73 db
75 mph (120 kph)= 74 db

The Outlander without ANC has virtually the same sound levels as a 2008 Honda Accord. I'll also note that I have my winter tires which add a little noise, so I would suspect that in the spring, I would get slighty more attentuated levels.

So, if you want quieter, you will have to spend a lot more money. Lexus, Mercedes, etc. Extra note, my friends G35 sedan is louder than the Outlander, so you can skip Infiniti. Hyundai Genesis with insulation and their active noise cancellation is confirmedto have a consistent 63.5 db...Now that's impressive.

In the near future, I may be installing Dynamat or some equivalent. The purpose will be for improving dynamic response of the speaker system and dampening vibrations caused by the infrasonic sounds. It won't be about road noise, but it will interesting to see what impact it does have on that.

Anyway, those are the facts...

Dan

Quick Reply: Terrible insulation....