Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Thinking of Buying a 2015 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Default Thinking of Buying a 2015 Outlander

I have been looking at smaller SUVs and have two different 2015 Outlanders on my list to look at. Both are 4 cyl AWD models, one with about 30k miles and one closer to 40k. I'd be very interested in hearing your ownership experiences. Especially from those who've put on lots of miles. Most of the reviews I've read so far are pretty positive. Long term reliability and comfort are very important to me. I'm always a bit weary of CVTs, what have your experience been with the CVT?
I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by leftoverture
I have been looking at smaller SUVs and have two different 2015 Outlanders on my list to look at. Both are 4 cyl AWD models, one with about 30k miles and one closer to 40k. I'd be very interested in hearing your ownership experiences. Especially from those who've put on lots of miles. Most of the reviews I've read so far are pretty positive. Long term reliability and comfort are very important to me. I'm always a bit weary of CVTs, what have your experience been with the CVT?
Why not splurge for a 2016 with all the changes they made. I do like the CVT. Very smooth. Perhaps a little slow off the line, but otherwise it’s great. Kinda hate gears now unless it’s a manual

Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 PM

How many miles on your CVT? What changes were made for 2016 that I should know about? What year is yours?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 PM

I recommend finding a 2016 or 2017 left over, my friend was able to find a 2016 New Lancer for a great deal and full warranty.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Why do you recommend that? Are there problems with the 2015 models?

Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Traded in my 2015 Outlander..2.4 AWD...with 112,000KM on it..I drive around 40 K per year. Only problems were the drivers seat had an annoying squeak ...took the dealer a few tries to fix it...finally did....and the refrigerant leaked out of the AC compressor..all fixed under warrranty.

Otherwise...it ran well....Mitsubishi vehicles are pretty basic compared to some other brands...which is why I like them...I dont need bells and whistles...I need a reliable car at a good price...these cars are both.

I currenty have a 2017 Lancer SE AWD 2.4...we love it.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:10 AM

There were some minor improvements on the 16+ models. sound deadening materials, (obviously the front end style) and the CVT got some good upgrades.
You can get aftermarket goodies as well that will work with the 14 and up 2.4's.
My 16 Big O, has the RRM timing controller and their aluminum pulley. Major difference, and better than the V6 model when it comes to hitting the skinny pedal, and it's several grand cheaper than buying the V6.
We've got a 14 and 16+ model, both with 2.4's.
My 16 will be going up for sale VERY soon or traded. ONLY reason why, is that I'm looking into a Hybrid model car for my commute and we don't need 3 SUV's in the driveway. (just got the girl her first new car, a 17 Sport SEL)

Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Hi Krakker,

You sound like you're quite a fan of the Outlander. Do you like the CVT? Can you tell me what the fluid change interval is? I've heard it's important to do it right with the correct fluid and to do it on time.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by leftoverture
Although CVT has been around for a bit I'm still not sold on them completely since I tow occasionally. I recently purchased a 2015 with 20k miles but went with the V6 instead. I can attest to most of the car reviews saying it's a boring vehicle, which is fantastic. Most "boring" vehicles tend to be the most reliable, comfort certainly won't be an issue unless the interior has not been maintained.

I also test drove another vehicle with a CVT and could not stand the sound, it was sort of a whine.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM

Thanks, Mr Mitsu. The only negative about the V6 is having to change the timing belt. Seems like with any Outlander I have to choose between that and the potentially questionable reliability/performance of the CVT. Not an easy choice. But are you saying that if I plan to tow even occasionally, the CVT might not be the best choice? I'm still continuing to look at alternatives like the VW Tiguan and Jeep Cherokee. Guess it's a good thing I'm not in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Buying a 2015 Outlander