Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Timing belt confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016 | 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by korner
I think the lesson here is that always buy a car with an engine with a timing chain . All the interference engines should have timing chains. You wont have to worry about a belt breaking and old timing chains give you plenty of warning when they start to stretch/loosen. Give me metal any day over rubber. Does anybody know about reliability of the Lancers? I'm thinking of buying one cause I like the 10 year powertrain warranty on both the transmission and engine.

I would have to agree...I like my chances better with a timing chain any day.The trend seems to be leaning toward chains in general...kinda like the old days?...when we had the big V8's... I've had 4 Lancers...only 2 with higher mileage...my 03 had almost 300,000 km...and I did the belt once...and my 09 ..with the chain..I put 210,000 km on it with nothing but regular maintenance.

From what I understand, talking with various Mitsu techs...these cars don't really break...as long as you keep up some decent maintenance.

I have a 2015 Outlander SE AWC...2.4 with the chain. I drive about 40,000 km per year and plan on keeping it at least 4 or 5 years worry free. I think Mitsu is the best brand out there for value...with the excellent warranty you cant go wrong.

Old 01-07-2016 | 08:17 PM
|

We have 6 Mitsui's in the family and they all have been stellar with minimal repairs.

Old 01-08-2016 | 06:23 AM

Clint - which ones, if any, have timing chains ?

Old 01-09-2016 | 02:15 PM

The 6b31 did start out as a non-interference engine...they removed the divot in 2010 to increase compression.

Replacing it yourself is quite a job, but makes it only cost very little.

Old 12-28-2021 | 04:19 PM

Hoping someone sees this old thread bump...I'm coming up on a timing belt change on a 2013 XLS V6 and I'm wondering if the "crankshaft wrench" (MD998716) is absolutely necessary or if there's a way to turn the crankshaft using another method to align the timing marks. This is really the only question I have about the job...the rest I can figure out provided I can get the crankshaft pulley off!

Old 12-29-2021 | 12:14 AM

No. Tool is not necessary

Old 12-29-2021 | 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ
No. Tool is not necessary
Perfect. So you can get a regular socket on it or what's the deal?

Old 12-29-2021 | 11:59 PM

Not sure of what that tool is. The only tool i use is a generic 2 pronged tool that goes into 2 holes on some harmonic balancers. This holds it steady whilst you torque the bolt up. Normally i undo them by jamming a breaker bar up against the chassis rail and crank the starter. Some people will not like that way, but i have done it many times over the last 30 years of working in the trade and never had a problem

Old 12-30-2021 | 01:55 PM

Right, I'm with you. You're talking about removing the crank pulley, but what I'm wondering about is the special socket to turn the crank to get the timing marks aligned.

Old 06-30-2022 | 11:20 AM

Follow up - I completed the timing belt job over the past few days. I ended up renting a huge impact wrench to get the crank bolt loose and just reinstalled the bolt and washer to turn the crank by hand to line up timing marks. Not a terrible job, and the service manual is pretty bang on. I ended up making a pulley holder with some 1/4" steel bar and 1/2" bolts...I bent the bolts a bit trying to loosen the crank bolt with a breaker bar/pipe, but it worked just fine to torque it down in the end. A big c-clamp worked just fine to compress the tensioner to bleed it.

At just under 168k km my old timing belt looks pretty mint, but it has stretched a sliiiiight bit compared to the new one.

Quick Reply: Timing belt confusion