Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Too Much Wheel Spinning During 2WD mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Default Too Much Wheel Spinning During 2WD mode

I have been driving in 4WD auto mode for the winter. Now that the weather is better, and spring is coming, I switched to 2WD for a change.

I notice a lot of front wheel spinning under medium acceleration. Therefore, when I'm driving in 2WD, I have to accelerate very slowly to avoid front wheel spin. This is even with my winter tires too. I don't accelerate fast too, but some situation, like turning left, you want to turn fast because there are cars coming.

I even got into a empty parking lot, and accelerated hard in turns from a stop. Lots of wheel spin, but the car is still in control under my hands.

Anyone else find this on the Outlander 2WD mode?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Yes, same thing on my 08 LS with stock tires. I put it in 4WD or 4WD lock when doing left hand turns...since it makes it quite dangerous to do quick turns once traction control kicks in.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 PM

I only have a 2WD, but I've never had any wheel spin problems under medium acceleration. BTW. I have the 16 inch Yokohama Geolanders which as we all know are not exactly performance tires.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM

^^ I have the same wheels and tires...the problem is the V6 Outlander has lots of low end torque, so it just causes loss of traction and TCS to kick in. Perhaps bigger wheels/better tires may "fix" the issue, but not worth it IMO. The 2.4 probably wont have the issue unless you really floor it as much as possible.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM

Does the slippery sign comes up on the computer screen when you actually have spinning wheels? I live in the Philippines and we dont have winter here so I dont really know if it does come up. This afternoon I was driving down the curve around 30kph and noticed that the green screen came up with the sign for about a second.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM

We haven't been having wheel spin on ours. we stay on firm asphalt, no much loose gravel. We've also had the ecm flashed to correct the harsh take offs. My wife normally runs around in 2WD.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 PM

I've never had the slip detection thing come on...even after driving out of snowed-in parking lot and feeling the ABS/traction control kicking in a bunch of times. It also slips when it rains, and even on dry ground. However, no warning ever shows up.
I have an 08 and there is no software update for it.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM

When I have 2WD wheel spin, there is no slip detection signal on the dash. Just normal wheel spin. But please understand that this wheel spin only happens from a stop to go under medium acceleration, situations like left turning, traffic lights, parking lots, stop signs, etc. It doesn't happen say you're going at 60 KM/H and accelerate, then wheel spin happens, now that would be just dangerous. And yes, like ivanz said, it happens during wet and/or dry roads. I don't know how long the wheel spin can do it for, because every times it spins, I back off from accelerating, to save my winter tires. Maybe in the summer when I change my OEM tires, I can have some fun doing wheel spins.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 AM

I just read the manual page 4-37 states that: When display blinks, ASC is operating, which
means that the road is slippery or that your vehicle’s
wheels are beginning to slip. If this happens, drive
slower with less accelerator input.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 PM

If you read out posts, this happens even on dry roads without any warning coming on. I guess if I wanted to get t-boned making a left turn I could press it slower. Anyways, my solution to it is to put the car in 4WD lock when making those types of turns and turning it off shortly after.

Quick Reply: Too Much Wheel Spinning During 2WD mode