Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Too Much Wheel Spinning During 2WD mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 PM

Ok, this is insane. I was going 80 km/h on the highway when I wanted to pass a truck. I pressed on the gas a bit harder (as it says in the manual to downshift) and it started doing the stutter/traction control thing right there before it regained grip and speeding up. How can people who own the V6 FWD model put up with this??!! It was warm and dry, but it felt like I was driving on ice for a second.
Good to know tires/wheel size makes little difference at least...I have the 16 inch/OEM GeoLander tires.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM

I can tell you that I probably have one of the heaviest foot and I never had this issue on a freeway with my V6. As a matter of fact I didn't have that issue with OEM tires on the freeway either, but OEMs weren't great anyway.

Also keep in mind that Outlander does not have electronic steering which could also have an effect to this when you do turns.

Btw, here is when I raised same subject before:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26448

Last edited by klas; 04-12-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Ok, this is insane. I was going 80 km/h on the highway when I wanted to pass a truck. I pressed on the gas a bit harder (as it says in the manual to downshift) and it started doing the stutter/traction control thing right there before it regained grip and speeding up. How can people who own the V6 FWD model put up with this??!! It was warm and dry, but it felt like I was driving on ice for a second.
Good to know tires/wheel size makes little difference at least...I have the 16 inch/OEM GeoLander tires.
I have never heard of an outlander doing that?

Now my 1989 Turbo Porsche would do that.......

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

I only have the 2.4 and it will spin the front wheels as mush as ASC allows, then the ASC kicks in and you loose power for a second - quite disconcerting when pulling into busy traffic. I almost always run in 4WD Auto now and things are much better, while fuel economy is not noticeably different.

I can only imagine how much worse this problem must be on the V6 with so much more power. I guess that's why the new model V6 is permanent 4x4.

If your wheels are spinning and you don't get the warning on the dash you probably don't have ASC fitted. If you do then I'd be talking to the dealer because it may not be working.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 AM

In the US, the V6 is available with FWD only.
I have ASC...its standard on every single Outlander worldwide as well I believe. It appears the 4WD versions have some sort of issue bug in 2WD that allow for too much wheel spin.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 AM

I have ASC...its standard on every single Outlander worldwide as well I believe. It appears the 4WD versions have some sort of issue bug in 2WD that allow for too much wheel spin.
I see, just to explain:
In Aus the V6 used to be selectable 2wd/awd but as of MY2010 it's full time 4x4 only (I imagine this is at least partly due to similar comments to the ones in this topic). We have never had a 2WD only version.
Not sure about the US but in Aus the earlier entry level models (06, 07 & early 08) did not get ASC, while the upper models did. From later 08 onwards it is universal.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sthughes
I see, just to explain:
In Aus the V6 used to be selectable 2wd/awd but as of MY2010 it's full time 4x4 only (I imagine this is at least partly due to similar comments to the ones in this topic). We have never had a 2WD only version.
Not sure about the US but in Aus the earlier entry level models (06, 07 & early 08) did not get ASC, while the upper models did. From later 08 onwards it is universal.
That is very strange that it wouldn't have the ****, as every single one with 4WD has the **** worldwide. Do you have any pictures of a 4WD Outlander without the ****? Does it say 4WD on the little LCD screen on the dashboard?
I can see it in this video for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmIlhL--FhE
If it didn't, you could easily retrofit one. I assume it has a cupholder there instead like the Lancer with the wires attached to the bottom. Or it could be on the steering wheel like it is on the Lancer EVO/Ralliart.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Exclamation What are you talking about?

Are you sure about that?

I'm from the U.S. According to Mitsubishi web site, they offer a V6 with All Wheel Drive as well as FWD. Don't beleive me? Here's the link: http://mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/b...0035&loc=en-us

Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mchang40
Are you sure about that?

I'm from the U.S. According to Mitsubishi web site, they offer a V6 with All Wheel Drive as well as FWD. Don't beleive me? Here's the link: http://mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/b...0035&loc=en-us
Yes, I am 100% sure that the V6 with FWD only is available in the US.
I guess English is not your first language? I said available, not the only option. Read what you quoted again and you will see...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Yes, I am 100% sure that the V6 with FWD only is available in the US.
I guess English is not your first language? I said available, not the only option. Read what you quoted again and you will see...

My bad. It sounded different the way you sad it. It sounded like you were saying that "in the U.S., the V-6 Outlanders only have Front Wheel Drive." Opps!

Quick Reply: Too Much Wheel Spinning During 2WD mode