Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Touch up your Sport lighting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

The Luminus SST-90 chips are quite expensive. At the price of around $45 US per each chip. It looks cool but I wonder if constructing one with several chips per bulb socket would be cost effective.

To build one you can easily purchase socket bases designed to mount the chip for $5.00 US each. Please let me know if you can find the chips at a more reasonable price. I am interested in building a few of these.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 PM

I made an offer for the one SST-90 on eBay of $40 and it accepted my offer. So $42 total. Try offering $35.

I could really care less about the cost. The thing about it to me is the cool factor. I can put out three times the light of an HID kit. Hey wait, come to think about it, I can put out three times the light of an HID kid, at 1/2 the cost of a quality HID kit. Comparing the cost to chinese garbage $35 ebay HIDs does not count in my book.

I tried some of those Xentec HID kits to see if anything cheap has become reliable after a few years, F--- no they haven't. Was wanting to try in the fog light positions. Xentec 6000K kit blows the ballast after 5 power ons. The 6000K was a joke, too. Too blue, and crappy output that was low power in my book. So I complain, and guy sends me Xentec 4300K kit. Was hoping for better output. I put a 4300K ignitor (bulb) on one side, and a 6000K ignitor on the other side to compare outputs. Well, what do you know, they sure do look the same. Hey wait a sec, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever. So WTF is that about? No matter what color temp you order, they all come as a blue tint that looks the same? I wonder if someone orders 10000K if they still look the same.

Last edited by Matt_M; 01-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigrroberto
Yellow bulbs or yellow hid? Might be a dumb question
Any pictures of these?

Also OP, looks good.
Heres pictures of the LED I wired inside the car and my yellow FOGs.
I love the color of the fogs, nice and yellow. haha.
Cant really see the yellow in the pictures though.

HID + Yellow fogs offers excellent lighting too!

Attached Thumbnails Touch up your Sport lighting!-img00173-20110118-1802.jpg   Touch up your Sport lighting!-img00180-20110118-1805.jpg   Touch up your Sport lighting!-img00177-20110118-1804.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 AM

I just came up with my best idea for the SST-90 emitters; use them for reverse lights.

The reverse light is a small bulb with a small socket. It would be the perfect area to custom fit these SST-90s. I would finally be able to see back there. And just imagine the view seen from a tailgater, after the switch is flipped!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Hey Matt, Thanks for all the information. I actually put the LED for the License plate into the front and I bought the 10 LED and it looks so awesome! Even you run with just the parking lights it looks so ridiculous, the car became a head turner even with those Audi and BMW owners.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by CoolJayz18
Hey Matt, Thanks for all the information. I actually put the LED for the License plate into the front and I bought the 10 LED and it looks so awesome! Even you run with just the parking lights it looks so ridiculous, the car became a head turner even with those Audi and BMW owners.
Cooljayz,

Follow me on this next update and you will like the setup even more!

I ordered many different bulbs to experiment with. I tried about 5 different combinations.

Okay, now I too tried the 5-LED bulb in the parking light position, the one I recommend for the license plate. But, here is the problem. That specific LED has a color temp around 4000-4300K, meaning it's white. So, your factory HIDs are of course 4300K white when warm. The problem? When you use that LED right next to your factory HIDs, the color difference is lost, and the LED bulb does not stand out.

Now on the other hand, the first bulb I recommended for the parking light in the beginning, the single LED here: wedge bulb, well those just aren't very bright. Though, they do work for great effect when viewed from a near distance. But, through my experimenting with a few different bulbs, I learned that some of the other multiple-SMD LEDs have a very white color temp, while others that look like they are even made by the same company actually can have a bluer color temp, such as closer to 6000K. That higher color temp is key to having your running bulb stand out, along with having a bulb that has a good amount of actual light output.

So what bulb is the best bulb choice for this feature?

That bulb is right here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Buy those, and don't even think twice!

Those are the ultimate running light bulb! Around dusk when the headlights aren't needed yet and you can just have the running lights on, those things look sick. They are very bright, leaps and bounds brighter than the first bulb I mentioned, and the 6000K color temp makes them look very high-end, as if you have mini HIDs as accent lighting.

I am taking a photo outside right now so you can see what I mean, and here it is:

I love them!

I would say keep that 5-LED bulb I originally mentioned for the license plate lighting as your license plate lighting. Through all the bulbs I tried, they do that job the best, and you want those to be white instead of blue tinted. New luxury cars won't come with blue tinted license plate lights, they will always be white, but the headlight accents will be bluish. So remember to mimic what the manufacturers are doing, always to prevent any ricy-ness from appearing.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Looks great!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Those look great!!! Anyone know if the bulbs for the Outlander are the same?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 PM

What bulb dos your user manual say they are? That will give your answer.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Much appreciated, Matt. Thx.

Quick Reply: Touch up your Sport lighting!