Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Touch up your Sport lighting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM

I replaced the turn signals in the rear with 27-smd LED bulbs last night. They look way better. They look bright yellow now, basically just a more vivid color than the orange-yellow from the factory.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM

I changed my lights with LEDs also, inside and out, but I didn't touch the turn signals, I understand that because they use so little power the system thinks they are burned and it blinks faster, did you have any problems like that? I would love to LED my turn lights, thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM

I've been thinking about doing some LED replacements myself... I'd probably start with the rear turn signals, license plate bulbs, and interior dome lights... If the car thinks the bulbs are out from the LED turn signal replacement, you just have to run resistors with them as well...

Besides ebay, a good sources for LEDs is: http://www.superbrightleds.com

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM

You can do that but there are some LED bulbs out there that use the same power as a regular bulb so it's easier. But I know some cars are set up to work with regular LEDs and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that. superbrightleds.com is the one I use, good prices and good LEDs

Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Ok the 27 SMD bulbs for the turn signals are right on the edge of resistance needed to make the turn signals flash at their normal rate. I had a set arrive with a strip out on one bulb. The bulb with the strip of 3 LEDs out caused that side to flash fast until I got a replacement. In cold weather, I noticed that a few times they flashed fast, because the amperage they used was probably lower for the cold emitters. They don't do it anymore that it's warmer. I will have to put a low impedence resistor in for next winter if I go that route. A 1/4 ohm should be sufficient. You don't want to use much resistance or you will dim the bulbs. It would be better to use bulbs with more than 27 SMDs than to use bulbs that need resistors. More light is better for the signals.

Last edited by Matt_M; 04-05-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM

OK, thanks, I don't want to mess with resistors tho, I'll search for some similar power LEDs, there are plenty out there, I want to change both rear and front.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyRider
Yeah, they have LED in light bulbs already. Just remove old, place in new bulb. LED done.

I just went with yellow H11 bulb. I didn't think it was worth the hassle for HID fogs.
For anyone who want to replace fog bulbs, it was a pain and not fun. LOL
Passenger side was okay, just pull the under shield off, you will see the socket. The washer bottle is somewhat in the way, just play with it, it will come out.
Driver side was a different story. Had to pull both under shield and fender linear. Rip off some bumper clips, then you could get at it.
There is an easier way to change the fog lights. If you look at them from the front you can stick a hook in the small hole right under the light and pull the plastic cover straight out. There are 3 phillips screws to take off the bulb assembly and you can get to the bulb. Taking your time it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes per side. It also shows you pictures in the owner's manual on how to do this as well. I just replaced mine with the PIAA H11 PIA13511 - PIAA Plasma-Ion Crystal Yellow Bulb with Yellow Tip -
H11 (55 Watt Power = 110 Watt Performance) - Two Pack (13511). The cheapest place I could find them was at Pace Performance. They were only $26.95 + shipping compared to almost $80 at some places! I'm not sure how they work in fog yet we will have to see, however I noticed they get super hot when they are on. http://paceperformance.com/i-5147550...-two-pack.html

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Default question for Matt_M

Does your Outlander Sport have the LED moonlighting around the vista roof (if equipped)? I was curious if the amber LED color could be updated to something a little more current... Perhaps a cool blue, red, or changeable colors...

If you can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

-myk178

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Hello, very glad to see many people working their way to leds. first thing i did a couple of months ago was switch out the parking and license plate lights for leds. i bought some really cheap ones from ebay. they are so cheap $1 per pair) that i ordered quite a few replacements, just in case.

I asked the other day if anyone had considered rewiring the fogs to come on with the parking lamps, not the headlights. we used to do this in our subies before. it wasnt that hard, but i havent figured out the mitsu wiring yet.

instead of replacing the fogs, i bought some film from lamin-x.com for $15bux. it also protects the lights and produces a real yellow light.

question about the moonroof. i looked at it the other day, thinking the same thing about changing the color. i noticed that it is simply a couple of leds on the ends, i think if you reach in there, you could rewire in another led, but not sure.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by matt_m
well, actually you can, but you would have to have me build them for you.

I build flashlights and lasers in my free time. Currently, the lighting bulbs found on ebay use combinations of very low outputting led emitters. They use the theory of combining a large amount of low output leds to end up with a large total output. The problem is, by comparison to true high-output emitters, even their groupings of 68 smds come out at a very low lumen output.

Standard (halogen) vehicle headlights are said to put out a true 900 lumens per side. Hid lights are up around 2000 lumens and more. There are currently some emitters on the market which can output over 2000 lumens, all the way up to over 3000 lumens. One example of such an emitter is a luminus sst-90. Link: http://www.luminus.com/content1507

photo:

yes, that tiny emitter can output as much as an hid ignitor!

It's actually a very large emitter by led standards, if you look closely, there are about 9 gold very tiny feed wires for pumping electricity into the silicon emitter chip in the center. This gives a good hint towards some serious electrical flow into the chip, as most leds only have 1 or 2 wires.

The only problem is that leds produce light a little differently than a light bulb does, so you cannot expect to replace a bulb with one and achieve a good coverage pattern on the road. For this to happen, a new reflector assembly would most likely need to be designed.

An led showers light from the very center of the chip. The light all originates from a tiny point, and the light mostly leaves in a forward direction. A light bulb sends light out from all directions, in a spherical output. So a light bulb requires a big large dome reflector around it, to bounce that big circular output of photons into a forward beam. An led emitter only requires a small reflector around it, one the size of a tennis ball half, to shape the light effectively. This is a good thing for headlight producers, but a bad thing for people wanting to do a quick swap of their old light bulbs.

A very good thing about emitters is that they are incredibly energy efficient. By far, they are the most powerful light sources per watt of energy.

A bulb is a large object for a light source, and thus, only one of them is placed at the center of the light assembly. When we want more output, we have to design a more powerful single bulb in a halogen or hid lighting system. This is where emitters get very interesting, and down right nastily powerful. led emitters can be grouped together. You already knew those little tiny leds could be grouped together for the various bulbs that are already sold. But those leds, at only a few lumens output each, aren't very exciting when you see an hid's output. Now, let's upscale things into the world of truly powerful light emitters. A single sst-90 emitter can match the output of a 35w hid bulb, at over 2000 lumens. They achieve this at about 27 watts. If you wanted more power, you could place two sst-90s right next to one another. Or, you could do a square of four of them for 8000 lumens per side.

Building the emitter systems is fairly easy for someone with basic electronics knowledge, and also with a little bit of machining ability or tools.

Basically, the emitter is attached to a copper plate with some thermal epoxy. The copper should be a thick cylinder when using something high outputting like an sst-90. You would put fins around the circumference of the cylinder, and the emitter(s) would be glued onto the front of the cylinder. Then all you need is some appropriate sized power feed wires soldered onto the emitter chips at (+) and (-) points, and a reflector in the front to shape the light output. Of course, these chips can be current modulated, so any output could be achieved under the maximum output. You could have a dimmer **** on them if you wanted to.

I am going to be building an sst-90 test light soon, and will be posting pictures of the output. It will not be replacing my hids, but i may end up using them in the fog lights. It depends on if i can achieve a desired pattern without blinding folks.

i would love to see that on an outlander! Foglights!!!!

Quick Reply: Touch up your Sport lighting!