Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Default TPMS tool

Is anyone using the Autel MaxiTPMS tool to check or reset TPMS sensors in your Outlander?

I run dedicated winter wheels/tires (with sensors installed) and have always just lived with the TPMS light staying on all winter. The tool isn't cheap but if it works for most cars could be pretty valuable.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 AM
Default Re: TPMS tool (Autel MaxiTPMS)

If your Autel MaxiTPMS tool is a TS601 or a TS508 (plus TS608 and MaxiScan MS906TS), you should be fine doing a TPMS relearn on your Outlander, since they came with OBD-II connectivity.

However, I should point out the TPMS relearn procedure is an assisted OBD method. If you're using a diagnostic scan tool or something like a Bartec Tech 300/400 Pro, other than a TS601 or a TS508, there are two types of assisted relearn: pressure reduction (meaning lower the tire pressure on all four wheels) and 2nd activation tool. On a TS601 or a TS508, after you activate four sensors and register the sensor IDs into the vehicle's OBD-II port, the tool reactivates the sensors the 2nd time while it's plugged in. If it's a TS608 or an MS906TS, with the wireless VCI plugged in, you can just reactivate those sensors again after activating them on the first run.

Now that I explained how the relearn procedures are done, let me ask a few questions. What's the model number on your Autel MaxiTPMS tool and what kind of TPMS sensors do you have on your winter rims?

Last edited by Jonathan Truong; 01-06-2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-05-2019, 06:28 AM

Hi Jonathan. Thanks for your reply and all the detailed information.

I haven't bought a TPMS tool yet. I have been considering the TS508 from TireRack.

The winter wheel package was purchased from TireRack and when I look at the invoice it just says "Modified 315 MHz tire pressure sensor" for the sensors. There is no part number.

The pressure reduction at all four tires sounds like kind of a pain, and do I understand correctly that I would need a 2nd activation tool also?

Once again, thanks for replying.

Rob

Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Default Re: TPMS tool

Not a problem, Rob. As for the two methods of assisted OBD-II relearn you were wondering, pressure reduction or 2nd activation tool, you can only choose one method. You don't need to do both. Although a 2nd activation tool makes the assisted relearn faster, there's no need for it if your winter tire set has Mitsubishi OEM sensors (i.e.: 4250B975), Schrader EZ-Sensors, Autel MX-Sensors, or any programmable TPMS sensor capable of doing an assisted relearn via pressure reduction.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Truong
Not a problem, Rob. As for the two methods of assisted OBD-II relearn you were wondering, pressure reduction or 2nd activation tool, you can only choose one method. You don't need to do both. Although a 2nd activation tool makes the assisted relearn faster, there's no need for it if your winter tire set has Mitsubishi OEM sensors (i.e.: 4250B975), Schrader EZ-Sensors, Autel MX-Sensors, or any programmable TPMS sensor capable of doing an assisted relearn via pressure reduction.
Thanks again, Jonathan.

Do you happen to know if the TPMS on the current MY2019 Outlander is the same? In other words, would the same tool and same relearn procedure apply?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Default Re: TPMS tool

Yes they are. The sensor's OE part number for your winter rims and the assisted relearn procedure applies to all Mitsubishi Outlanders from 2006 and up. And knowing the TS508, the software updates are free for the lifetime of the tool. Oh yeah, there is one detail I overlooked. As I said before, the TS508 and TS601 can do an OBD-Assisted relearn, but after you trigger all four sensors and write the sensor IDs into the ECU, the same tool can also reactivate those sensors on the 2nd time during the relearn process. You don't need to have a 2nd activation tool and you don't need to do a pressure reduction sequence. My mistake.

Last edited by Jonathan Truong; 01-06-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Is the pressure reduction sequence in leiu of using the obd tool? I am askin in relation to a new set of tpms sensors on an 2017 outlander.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:06 AM

No. You will still need a bi-directional scan tool (i.e. Snap-On Modis ULTRA or an Autel MaxiCOM MK808) if you plan to perform an assisted TPMS relearn through pressure reduction sequence. But not all TPMS sensors, whether they're direct-fit OEM or aftermarket, universal programmable, or multi-protocol, support a relearn through pressure reduction sequence. Another option is using a Bartec TPMS tool (Tech RITEPro or up) to perform either a pressure reduction sequence or use a 2nd activation tool (i.e.: ATEQ VT37).

Nowadays, you can only use one TPMS relearn tool. And the relearning process is simplified. The ATEQ VT56 with Sync-ID technology and the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 are one of them. You can also check out the Autel MaxiTPMS iTS600 if you're interested.

Last edited by Jonathan Truong; 10-16-2022 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:33 AM

I have a new TS508 and trying to perform OBD relearn on my 2019 Outlander PHEV. I updated the tool to the latest version.

Everything goes fine until I attempt to write the IDs to the ECU. The tool gives an error saying "Write IDs failed". I know it has a connection to my vehicle because it is able to read the IDs that are stored in the ECU and tell me which wheels are matching the scanned sensors.

I'm a bit stumped and not sure what else to try at this point. I must have attempted this 10 times to no avail.

The procedure I am doing is:

1. Use Advanced Mode on ts508 and select vehicle model, OBD relearn.
(Tires were recently installed and inflated by the shop, so I'm not adjusting the pressures)
2. Scan the sensors with the tool near the valve stems. Tool shows green check marks on all the wheels.
3. Plug in OBD cable.
4. Turn ignition on without turning on engine. (I do this by pushing the button twice without hitting the brake.)
5. Initiate write process on the tool. It goes through a few items, and then says the "write ID(s) failed".

Old 11-01-2022, 12:23 AM

This is bizarre. The last time I did a TPMS relearn on a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV using the Autel TS508, it went off without a hitch. Did the instrument cluster light up (idiot lights included) when the ignition is in the ON position? If the Outlander PHEV selection is the issue, try selecting Mitsubishi, Outlander, 12-2006-12/2022 (4250B975) or 05/2017-03/2021 (4250D585). Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited by Jonathan Truong; 11-01-2022 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: TPMS tool