Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Trailer harness wiring (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/trailer-harness-wiring-17562/)

Manybrews 04-05-2007 07:30 PM

RE: Trailer harness wiring

once again, that is not a good setup for the car.
you should get the mitsu wiring and have a properly circuited car.

mld211 04-05-2007 09:36 PM

Solid state controlled? So they use a different kind of relay to turn the lights on. And how exactly does this effect the lighting? Your saying the more advanced SSR cannot handle the same power asan electromechanical relay? Not to mention One of the advantages of the SSR is its superior ability to isolate the control source from the high voltage load so if anything you have less of a chance to mess up somthing. The wayI installed the trailer harness is just fine. I been working on automotive electrical systems for a long time. But if it makes you feel better go spend the couple hundo to have the dealer do it for you. Oh and the rise i am using is 4 inches.

kafou 04-06-2007 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mld211

The hitch igot, made by curt,didnt come with the ball mount. I noticed the factory ball mount has a significant rise to it. Does any one know the hieght of the rise on their factory ball mount?
Hi,

So you got the kit from etrailer, the Curt Hitch and the wiring, how was the installation, do you have pictures of the final assemly?

Thanks
Kafou

hex 04-06-2007 11:23 AM

i have no idea where Manybrewsis getting this information. i have installed wiring harnesses in every one of my previous vehicles and have never had a problem with faulty curcuits. the price of dealer accessories are one of the biggest rip offs in the autoindustry.

Manybrews 04-07-2007 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mld211

Solid state controlled? So they use a different kind of relay to turn the lights on. And how exactly does this effect the lighting? Your saying the more advanced SSR cannot handle the same power asan electromechanical relay? Not to mention One of the advantages of the SSR is its superior ability to isolate the control source from the high voltage load so if anything you have less of a chance to mess up somthing. The wayI installed the trailer harness is just fine. I been working on automotive electrical systems for a long time. But if it makes you feel better go spend the couple hundo to have the dealer do it for you. Oh and the rise i am using is 4 inches.
suit yourself..
its not as though Ive replaced a dozen different etacs units on various cars because of people doing something like that, since you cant get any of the internal relays (solid state or not) seperately.

Manybrews 04-07-2007 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: hex

i have no idea where Manybrewsis getting this information. i have installed wiring harnesses in every one of my previous vehicles and have never had a problem with faulty curcuits. the price of dealer accessories are one of the biggest rip offs in the autoindustry.
im getting it from the 16 years of working on mitus, and the fact that ive had to replace dozens of control units from "wise" people trying to save a buck.

if you actually would study the products, you would see that the factory system is far better for the car as it isolated the additional trailer lights on their own circuit rather than adding load to the vehicles existing light circuits.

antlip 04-07-2007 12:55 PM

Hey manybrews why cant an after market wire harness for the 07 outlander be wired in the same as the one from mitsubishi? If they both get wired in the same place and if they have the same amount of wires cant you just wire it up the same way? Or are you refering to the real cheap universal ones people splice into wires where ever they felt like. I hate wiring stuff up and have no idea how to. I know almost nothing about wiring so could you explain what is meant by properly cicuited car?
Thanks

Manybrews 04-07-2007 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Hey manybrews why cant an after market wire harness for the 07 outlander be wired in the same as the one from mitsubishi? If they both get wired in the same place and if they have the same amount of wires cant you just wire it up the same way? Or are you refering to the real cheap universal ones people splice into wires where ever they felt like. I hate wiring stuff up and have no idea how to. I know almost nothing about wiring so could you explain what is meant by properly cicuited car?
Thanks
they ARENT wiring the same way.
As Ive said a couple times, mitsu has an additional circuit that isolates the load of the trailer from the rest of the car.

in simple terms, the mitsu unit uses signals from the lights and a different source of power to light the trailer lights, instead of using the same power source the car lights use.

its because of a very simple thing; the lights on the car are designed AS IS to support the load and amperage they have placed on them. Increasing that may 1)do nothing, 2)cause fuses to blow, or 3)damage the ETACS unit, which is the central gateway on the outlander. It holds ALL the global, local, and option coding of the car, and if its damaged due to something that isnt from mitsubishi (like a crummy aftermarket wiring setup), it WONT be warranty.
the cost? A cool 1500 bucks, plus a couple hours to install it and recode it.
the engineers know a LOT more than your average consumer, and they offloaded the amperage to a seperate circtuit for a reason. They are not the only company to do this (actually, nearly everyone does if you use a decent factory setup).
its true that the chances of a normal 2 light trailer damaging anything is very slim, but trust me when I say I HAVE seen damage to control units on various mitsus due to incorrect wiring or overloaded wiring.
its possible that someone out there sells the correct wiring for an outlander. But it wont be 39 bucks.

rdenis 04-07-2007 07:36 PM

Actually on the 07 Outies, the spare connector for the trailer lights is on the same circuit as the tail lights.

jasnlin 04-09-2007 01:03 AM

I had the mitsu trailer hitch installed with the wiring at the cost of $600!!! Yikes!!!! But I too heard the warranty would be void if I put an after market on. So I bit the dust. It came with the ball mount as well. I can measure it tomorrow and let you know the height. You cannot put the tailgate down with the ball mount on. You will dent it. But I'm not sure I'd need it down anyway. I towed a small trailer with furniture this weekend behind the outlander and used the ball mount from my husband's truck. The mitsu ball mount seemed like it would make the trailer sit too high. But for pulling the boat in and out of the water this summer, I think it will be perfect.