Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transfer case / gear oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Default Transfer case / gear oil change

Has anyone changed theirs out yet on their own?

I'm looking at fluids and wow is it hard to stay close to Mitsubishi's recommendations.

Mitsubishi specs GL-5 SAE80 for the transfer case and Hypoid GL-5 SAE90 for the rear differential. I called both dealerships in my area and they both said, "oh yeah, gotta use what is spec'd".

I think I found a quality oil that comes very close to what mitsubishi wants.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7
weights are close to what is spec'd, synthetic, GL-5, no LS additives, an extreme pressure additive.

anyone already go through this search yet?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM
tcp
Default redline

I did mine 3 months ago. Both are easy to drain, but require some dexterity to refill. Pretty sure a 10mm Hex key is all I needed. Both have a drain bolt at the bottom to empty and another higher up to refill, but very little room in the refill end of things. I used a large syringe (100ml unit) with a hose attached to push new fluid into the cases. I only filled the syringe to 50ml each time so it took 10 or so times to fill each.

After a bunch of research at Bobistheoilguy.com forums, I ended up buying redline 75/140 synthetic gear oil. It covers the oil viscosities specified (80 or 90) and should protect the diff and transfer case for quite a while.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=134&pcid=4

Your link is for gear oil for MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, just so you're aware. Try the "gear oil for differentials" section:

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=4

My outlander has 32000kms on it now and it was surprising how dirty the fluid in both units was. I don't think the factory fill was a quality product, probably not synthetic and doesn't seem to have held up well. I will leave the redline stuff in there quite a bit longer now that everything has broken in.

Last edited by tcp; 10-23-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: mo words
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM

I know it is for the manual transmission section, but looking at the product for the manual transmission and the one for the differential, it looks like manual transmission one is missing the LS additive pack. I did email Red Line to ask which one would work better...hopefully they'll get back to me.

when you use the 80-140, do you remember what you used? Notice any changes for better or worse? My main worry is putting LS additive, which makes everything more slippery, when Mitsubishi didn't spec it.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
tcp
Default LS modifiers don't matter

if you don't have LS clutches( and the 2007 AWD doesn't), it doesn't matter if the modifiers are in there. I used:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=134&pcid=4

Felt smoother after the change, but that may have been just mental. Fuel economy hasn't changed.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks TCP. My main concern was that running such oil would do harm, I'm glad I won't have to worry about that. I ran into AdvanceAuto yesterday (really just an excuse to get out and drive in the nice weather) to talk to my buddies over there. We looked up the vehicle in the computer and it spec'd a whole range of oils & grades dependent on temp...so I guess the stealership was just trying to get my dollar again. I picked up some Mobil1 75-90 and plan on doing it next weekend with a coolant flush.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
tcp
Default That sounds good

I seriously doubt the original fluid is synthetic and the mobile is, so you're upgrading. Fresh fluids are a good idea for longevity.

The only reason I went with the 75/140 is availability. It still flows better at extreme colds than the 80wt spec'd (75w rating) and stays a lot more viscous at high temps than the 90wt (140 rating) so it's a win/win. True synthetic ester based base-stock should last a long time in there.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I did email Red Line to ask which one would work better...hopefully they'll get back to me.
I'd like to hear what Red Line has to say for the multi-weight vs what Mitsubishi has specified.

I'm letting my transmission fluid dictate when I'm going to change the gear oil. When I checked after a year the factory fill was clear/light pink and didn't have a smell so it's probably good for a second year.

I'll keep red line products in mind, sounds like a simple enough service to DIY.

Found a local Canadian dealer in Mississauga online. A quart of OIL GEAR 75W140 GL-5 for $18. Included the link so I can find it again when the time comes. http://www.jrponline.com/webstore/in...pn=08352257914

Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Well that was fast. Got a word back from RedLine:
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the 75W90 is suitable and recommended for your transfer case and differential. For all temperature use my guide lists a 90, 85W-90 or 80W-90 gear oil for the differential and a 90 weight for the transfer case, the 75W90 is a broader viscosity than those fluids so would perform better at lower temperatures while maintaining sufficient viscosity at operating temperature. The 75W90NS could be used in your open differential though is a non friction modified fluid, the friction modifier contained in the 75W90 is beneficial for friction and temperature reduction in the differential.
so they say I could use it, but that the LS additive would be beneficial.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM
tcp
Default Good info

I simply used what was available here and that was the 75w140 with the friction modifiers. Don't know how they would be beneficial to a differential without the clutches, but I'm no chemical engineer. I do know the Redline gear oils are highly regarded and made with true synthetic group 4 base stocks and as such should hold up very well in the outlander.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Ok, so just to confirm.

Red Line suggests their standard 75w90 for both transfer and differential with the slip additives. The multiweight confuses me a bit - need to read up on it some more but I understand that it allows the oil to handle both applications with different specified oils.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

Here is the Red Line tech sheet for the gear oil:
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf

Thanks guys. Good discussion and information.

Quick Reply: Transfer case / gear oil change