Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transfer case and rear differential.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:48 AM
Default Transfer case and rear differential.

Hello Guys,

I am very new to the forum and i got used outlander 2009 model 2.4 CVT GEAR BOX last month and made an oil change as they very straightforward like any front wheel car. Then i planned to change rear and front differential then here i am facing issue here. While changing front my mechanic opened one plug mentioned as oil almost 2.5 liters of oil came out in green color adn they advised we have to fill CVT gear J1 here and we done the same but when i check the manual online, it says rear will take 0.47 liter of SAE 90 oil. Did we change only the transfer oil, not the front differential? ?.
This is the first time i having four wheel drive . I am new to this transfer case, rear and front differntial.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:44 AM

That sounds like you have drained the CVT. That takes J1 Oil. normally about 3-3.5 litres.

The transfer case oil drain is underneath, with a 10mm hex key type plug. the filler plug is a 17mm standard bolt type plug just above the righthand driveshaft. Always get the filler plug undone first... You dont want to drain the transfer case, and then find out you cant get the filler plug out. the oil grade of SAE 90 is correct, as is the quantity. It can be awkward to get the oil in, as the filling is done from underneath.

you dont have a separate front differential oil.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:57 AM

After lot of oil comes out from the transfer case (in the nut it written as oil), we thought the front differential shares transmission oil then we removed the transmission plug as well from that we collected 4 liters. So total oil came out from transfer case and transmission almost 6 to 7 liters.

So my question is my vehicle is having only rear diffential there is no front differential ?. In online for 2.4 CVT model saying front transfer will take 0.5 liters but the oil came out close to 2 liters ?.

By chance transfer case is using CVT fluid only ?. I am from Dubai and my vehicle is made in Japan and the VIN is as follows JMYXTCW5W9Z702186 i dont have manual for this car that is the biggest concern here.

or this car having all three like as follow rear differential, front differential, and transfer case ?. Mine is not AWD its four wheel drive i can select 2wd or 4wd in the center console.

Last edited by sheikmohamed; 02-23-2021 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Can you post a picture of the underside where you removed the plugs?

Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 AM

Yesterday went to the mechanic shop i myself crawled under the car to check for any HEX other than the one which is previously drained and i cannot find any other hex. Space is very tight and I am not able to take any photos.

After going through the internet i find this catalog for my car and below is the link for the same from this can we tell anything?. I just giving link for the transfer case.

https://www.allparts.ae/cats/?articl...ath=MfCfmoAyNA

Old 03-01-2021, 11:08 PM

Any thoughts ?

Old 03-02-2021, 10:47 AM

I use nothing but AMSOIL in all my trucks.