Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transferring Songs to MMCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Default Transferring Songs to MMCS

2010 XLS

Just a few questions that I couldn't find a clear answer on in the manual.

I want to put some songs on my hdd, from my computer, and I'm wondering what's the easiest and fastest way. I know you can burn a mp3 music cd which holds about 20 ish songs and put that in and transfer, but that would waste a whole lot of blank cds and a whole lot of my time. Can I...

Burn a data cd with a whole bunch of mp3s (150 ish) or will the mmcs not recognize it?

Is there a way to burn a "music dvd" that the mmcs will recognize

If the data cd option noted above works, will it work the same with a data dvd? That would be super fast as it hold gigs of data.

What do you guys do? What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 AM

I Have the same problem, I tried a DVD with mp3s but the unit does not recognize it.
I tried a USB pen drive, but there is no option to copy the data to the server.

Perhaps there is an updated version of the firmware that contains these options? if so, does anyone know where to get it from?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Unless I am mistaken, you can only transfer songs from regular audio CDs. Nothing else.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Correct.
The MMCS does not have the licensing rights to re-encode an MP3. (Yes, MP3 is a patented file format).

So, unfortunately this is not going to be something Mitsu supports (pays for). Unless one of us decide to really dig into the MMCS, its probably not going to happen.

When you use a play a standard CD, the MMCS rips it to a proprietary format. When you play an MP3 data disc, it plays the music without copying (re-encoding) it.

Burning a music or "audio dvd" or is your best bet to dump a lot of music onto the unit at once. Most DVD burning software does this. It will burn a ton of audio tracks with still pictures.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM

My 2011 Outlander has an USB connection. I put an USB stick of 8GB with 6GB of MP3 music in it and it runs perfectly. Why bother with harddisk?????

Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by TROFLEK
My 2011 Outlander has an USB connection. I put an USB stick of 8GB with 6GB of MP3 music in it and it runs perfectly. Why bother with harddisk?????
For the times I don't have the USB stick with me. I am going to copy in the MMSC bunch of kids' cds so I don't have to think about having them on stick, iphone or what ever else..

Also, majority of the usb sticks can't handle the yearly weather changes from season to season.. From humid and cold autumns to regularly almost -30C winters there really aren't too many sticks that can handle the conditions and cost less enough for me to put the money in dedicated stick for the car. And dedicated stick for the car kinda is like the hdd on the MMSC, right?

It would be nice to be able to copy music there easily. I have some kids' stuff I bought as file copies and now I have to burn them on cd and then copy to head-unit. Quite lame....

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Canadian 2010 Outlander didnt come with a usb port.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 AM

Because is there, because you paid for it, because it is better integrated with the system... saying why bother is like saying "I have one eye, and it works so why bother opening the other."

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mredlancelot
"I have one eye, and it works so why bother opening the other."
Depth perception

Sorry, couldn't resist... but I agree with you, it should have much better options