Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transmission fluid alternative for the diaqueen j3 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Kip
Default Transmission fluid alternative for the diaqueen j3 yet?

Just curious if anyone has found an alternative to the diaqueen atf J3 fluid yet?
Maybe better maybe cheaper?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:57 PM

The last thing I would recommend is to toy with something like this. Why risk your transmission to save a little money?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Kip

I'm not suggesting I'm going to throw whatever in there. Most transmission fluid has multiple manufacturers that meet the spec / grade. Some are considered Superior to the original. In cases like this one where the only place to get the stuff is the dealer at high cost usually someone steps in and makes a perfectly good alternative.

I did find that amsoil has one linked below complying with the atfj3 spec. I doubt I'd save any money with amsoil but I think there is a high likely hood
its a better product. I plan on towing a boler with mine so more regular tranny fluid changes are in my future.

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Well - I still wouldn't do it.
If you decide to "mess with it" - make sure your warranty will cover non-OEM fluids.
Personally - I wouldn't mess with it for obvious reasons. There is a reason they use the OEM fluid. And, why risk your transmission to save a few dollars in the long run?
Also - do you plan on re-selling the car? Things like this are a huge red flag - at least for savvy shoppers.
Good luck.

Last edited by The Silent Seed; 03-16-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Kip

I think you're going a bit overboard with this. If Amsoil says their product meets atf j3 spec I would tend to believe them as they are arguably the most reputable vehicle lubricant manufacturer in the world. That being said they are also not cheap and my personal needs require more frequents fluid changes rather than longevity.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:36 PM

Sorry - you asked.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kip
I'm not suggesting I'm going to throw whatever in there. Most transmission fluid has multiple manufacturers that meet the spec / grade. Some are considered Superior to the original. In cases like this one where the only place to get the stuff is the dealer at high cost usually someone steps in and makes a perfectly good alternative.

I did find that amsoil has one linked below complying with the atfj3 spec. I doubt I'd save any money with amsoil but I think there is a high likely hood
its a better product. I plan on towing a boler with mine so more regular tranny fluid changes are in my future.

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Currently using only AMSOIL 100% SYNTHETIC Oils, Fluids, and filters with zero issues, only improvements in Performance, Durability and fuel Economy.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Kip

Thanks for the info SERPENTOR. I'm betting you aren't the only one. Like I said because I'm going to be towing quite a but I'm planning on doing more regular fluid changes rather than buying the higher end stuff. My experience has been changing basic or spec fluid more regularly rather than going high end and trying to run it longer is the way to go for harder driving. In a small commuter car you could probably put amsoil in once on the first change and never think about it again.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kip
Thanks for the info SERPENTOR. I'm betting you aren't the only one. Like I said because I'm going to be towing quite a but I'm planning on doing more regular fluid changes rather than buying the higher end stuff. My experience has been changing basic or spec fluid more regularly rather than going high end and trying to run it longer is the way to go for harder driving. In a small commuter car you could probably put amsoil in once on the first change and never think about it again.
AMSOIL Offers three tiers Regular, Mid Grade and Premium top of the line so there are products for any needs.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:42 PM

Automatic Transmission Fluid, ATF4, Dexron VI, MD3 - Havoline
The product data spec. sheet mentions that it is a replacement for J3. Pretty inexpensive, too.
For more information, go to the following thread in this forum's sticky section in which I tell of my experience with the local service dept and an email from Mitsubishi Central.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ocedure-44706/
If our vehicle were off-warranty, I'd go with the Havoline.

Data sheet. Note the second page.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

Last edited by Outlaander; 03-20-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid alternative for the diaqueen j3 yet?