Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Two questions re: ASC button and door locks

Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Default Two questions re: ASC button and door locks

Ihave just two quick questions thatI cannot seem to figure out on my own.

Does the "ASC Off" button actually do anything? If so, how do you tell when it is in the on or off state? I do not see any change in the button's illumination, nor do I see any (obvious) change in the dash indicators or computer.

Are the door locks supposed to lock automatically once you start moving (say 10mph or so), because they don't seem to? My golf did that and I've been driving around with my doors unlocked. Good way to get car-jacked.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Default RE: Two questions re: ASC button and door locks

You have to hold the ASC button in for a couple seconds, then it lights up.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Hold the button down and you will see the orange indicator light up in the dash saying it is off. The doors dont lock. I have gone through all the options and there is nothing to change it.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Number6

Ihave just two quick questions thatI cannot seem to figure out on my own.

Does the "ASC Off" button actually do anything? If so, how do you tell when it is in the on or off state? I do not see any change in the button's illumination, nor do I see any (obvious) change in the dash indicators or computer.

Are the door locks supposed to lock automatically once you start moving (say 10mph or so), because they don't seem to? My golf did that and I've been driving around with my doors unlocked. Good way to get car-jacked.
hold the button down.
its stated in your owners manual (you know, the thing thats wrapped in your glove box).

and no, the doors dont lock automatically, thank god. that is singlehandedly the most awful "option" ever installed in cars.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:21 AM

Really, Hmmm move to Cleveland or Chicago and youll appreciate the auto door locks. Ive had them in my past 2 cars so now I forget to lock the doors.

Nothing like having someone open your door and plop them selves in the front seat and request that you take them somewhere.
Or come up at intersections and try to open your doors asking for money. Or open your door and take your purse. Or even better drag you out and take your car.

The only thing I havent dealt with personally is the getting drug out and taking the car part.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Default double post :(

double post

Old 07-31-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks all.

On a related note; other than trying to get myself unstuck, why would I want to disable ASC on a FWD Outlander?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM

Not really, I have noticed it can dump your power but thats only when Im driving it in a manner unbecoming a woman. lol.
On the flip side it also allows you to get going when your wheels would tend to slip, an example… I was playing with it when I first got it, we have lots of twisties with stop signs. I came up on one that had a stop at the top of a small hill with a left turn off the stop. With the ASC off I had a bugger of a time getting going when I stomped on the gas a tad (not floored but not old lady). So it pays off in the end to have it on and leave it that way.

I do want to do a freeway acceleration experiment though. I keep forgetting.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

Really, Hmmm move to Cleveland or Chicago and youll appreciate the auto door locks. Ive had them in my past 2 cars so now I forget to lock the doors.

Nothing like having someone open your door and plop them selves in the front seat and request that you take them somewhere.
Or come up at intersections and try to open your doors asking for money. Or open your door and take your purse. Or even better drag you out and take your car.

The only thing I havent dealt with personally is the getting drug out and taking the car part.

first point.. Ive been to chicago 45 times. I live in a different massive urban city. Ive in fact been to over 30 major cities, many much "tougher" than chicago. somehow ive managed to avoid getting carjacked. You make it sound like everyone in chicago somehow gets carjacked, and that a door lock will prevent that from happening.
if you live in that much fear, I suggest moving.
second point... You can actually "lock" the door if you have that much fear, but I think I would suggest carrying a weapon instead.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 PM

I actually liked the auto locking doors. Not that I would ever be in a neighborhood when I would need it... I just liked the feature on my old car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two questions re: ASC button and door locks