Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

UK Outlander 2004 - LPG - Newbie

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Default UK Outlander 2004 - LPG - Newbie

Hi all

Just brought a 2004 Outlander SE auto with the factory lpg. Its done 67K miles and seems to have the engine light on, which IVe been told is the O2 sensor ??

Ive also read the EML could be due to the LPG conversion, so am not sure and am seeking advise / help or any experience from previous owners.

Also, when does the cambelt need changing ?? is it at 60 or 70K miles ?? Any common issues / faults with this car that I should be aware of ?? Any good UK parts suppliers, as it needs some new bushes / trail arms o nthe rear suspension.

Thanks

Simon

Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Hi Simon
I also have a 2004 LPG Outlander which I have bought recently in readiness for the next winter, hoping it will get me through the snow!!

Mine had the engine check lamp on, or would have done if the previous owner hadn’t taken the bulb out! I replaced both O2 sensors as one of them was responding slowly, but these are expensive at around £100 each. Before you shell out for new sensors, buy an OBDII cable and software from ebay, so you can monitor the various sensor outputs.

The biggest problem with the 2.4mivec engine running on LPG is valve recession. If you are suffering from poor starting, rough tickover and low power, (especially when cold), then the valve clearances have probably closed up. On mine the clearances had reduced to the point that there was no clearance left at all. Thankfully this was a relatively easy fix, as the valves are the old fashioned manually adjustable type and can be adjusted by a competent mechanic in just over an hour (need to be done hot). Re-setting the valve clearances transformed the engine.

If yours has the original Pharos LPG system, then be aware that this has been obsolete for several years now, and you will find it extremely difficult to find anyone with the software or knowledge to work on it. The only people I know of are CLS Dual Fuel in Durham. On saying that, if it is still working at 67K then it should keep going ok. I understand that there is a filter in the vapouriser which needs cleaning / replacing on a yearly basis.

Don’t be surprised if the LPG fuel gauge doesn’t read correctly. They are notoriously inaccurate! Just use the mileage trip meter to keep an eye on range left. I can get 200 miles from a 48 litre fill from empty.

I have fitted a set of LPG specific spark plugs; Brisk EOR15LGS, which has also improved the performance.

I think the cambelt should be changed at 58k miles, but not sure on this. A phone call to a Mitsubishi dealer will confirm it.

There was a recall on the cooling fan module for this vehicle. If the cooling fan runs continually as soon as the ignition is turned on, then this indicates a faulty unit. This should be replaced by a Mitsubishi dealer free of charge.

Good luck with it, I hope you have a better time than I did trying to sort out why it wasn’t running right.
Matt

Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for such an excellent reply. I took a gamble with this car as like you Im preparing for winter. MY wife will drive the car, and carry my little kiddies around in it, so I wanted 4x4, baby carrying facilities :-)

I havent actually recieved the car yet, as I brought it from a guy up in Scotland, and its being transported down to me, down in Sussex. The previous owner told me about the engine light, and mentioned how his local garage mentioned it was the O2 sensor, but I wanted my info.

I did a search about these cars, and I have read up about the valve issue and how they will need adjusting. I read this was due to the LPG and was recommended to use flashlube ? some sort of additional fluid which is used in the LPG process to prevent this. The fix, was it a simple case of getting out the feeler gauges ??

My car has some sort of suspension issue, and needs some bushes at the back as the inner side of the tyres are wearing. I will get it aligned when I get it home, and will put a set of new tyres on it too.

The car is a 2004 outlander se auto, with lpg. ITs done 67K miles, 1 owner, and I paid £2400 !:-) So, Im well pleased.

Have you an manuals / tech details relating to the filter in hte LPG system that needs changing ??

Simon

Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM

Adjusting the valve clearances is simply a case of using some feeler gauges on the rocker arms, in the correct sequence obviously. I can send you the info and other manuals if you pm me an email address.

I have also fitted a flashlube kit. Whether or not it does its job remains to be seen. It simply feeds a fine oil into the inlet manifold to keep the valves lubricated.

It sounds like you got it at a good price… About half of what I paid for one with 74k on the clock.

The suspension on mine has recently started rattling over rough ground, so I suspect that it will also need some new bushes or something in the near future. Though it will have to wait, as I have spent enough on it recently!

Matt

Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Hi Matt,

You sir, are a true star :-) I would love those manuals / information.

MY email is sbk@simonkeane.co.uk

I was looking at a flashlube kit, which one did you buy ?? Did you install it yourself or get a LPG company to do that ?? Was it expensive ??

Where did you get your spark plugs from ?? did them make a difference ?? Did you gap them before installing ??

Also the filter in hte LPG system that needs replacing once a year, what it called ?? easy to replace ??

IVe taken a gamble with mine, as Ive only seen pics, and I could be buying a nightmare, so will see.

SBK

Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 AM

Glad to be able to help. I know how difficult it is trying to get information on these. I spent days on the internet searching for information.

I will sort out the manuals when I get home at the weekend.

I bought a ‘traditional’ flashlube kit from ebay for about £50 rather than the more expensive electronic version. It is very simple to install. I tapped into the PCV circuit for the vacuum connection, but this is the ‘wrong’ end of the inlet manifold. When I get time I will drill and tap a connection next to the throttle body, as this should allow better / even distribution of the oil between all 4 cylinders.

I bought the LPG spark plugs from a company called WTV-UK Ltd. They do not need gapping. Make sure you get the ones for the 4G69 engine, EOR15LGS. The ones for the other 2.4 engines are too short. They definitely made the car run smoother. Though how long the old ones had been is was difficult to tell as I have no information on its previous service history and get the impression that it had been rather neglected.

I haven’t replaced the LPG filter yet. I was quoted £85 by a local LPG servicing place. I have heard that they can be difficult to change, and run the risk of breaking due to seizing, so have put off doing it for the moment.

Matt

Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Cool :-)

Im cut / pasting all your fine information into a notepad file for me, to print off and use later on.

How you finding the car ?? Much room in the back ?? What's the boot like ?? As its got LPG, it has no spare wheel, but should have some sort of foam kit ??

Ive got the SE sport model, two sunroofs / leather. The second sunroof doesnt open, so Ive been told.

I'll be looking at new tyres when I get it, and maybe having the rims refurbished too.

My one is blue, yours ??

Jsut found out the previous owner had the cambelt done at 60K, with reciepts to prove, so happy days there !! I might need to have the A/C regassed though.

SK