Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Weird noise only @ 600-750 rpms. Outlander 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Default RE: Weird noise only @ 1600 rpm. Outlander 2007

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse
BTW 600-750rpm is usually referred to as 'idle'.
To reproduce the noise I have to press the gas pedal a little bit, so is not idle at all.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 AM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere
The steering pump will makea rumbling typenoise under a few different circumstances.
Super tight turningsoon after the vehicles started. You should give the vehicle a chance to run a bit before hard cranking the wheel. Also most vehicles grumble when hard cranking the wheel to he stop, I try not to do this and with the small turning radius of the outie I havent evern come close.
The noise is not the normal sound of the PS when u are steering the wheel when the car is parked or in slow motion

The idle isnt high enough to run the steering pump properly, this is the most common right after starting the car.
Having a load on the engine such as running full AC, having the lights on the nav system and dvd player all put a load on the alternator which along with the AC puts extra drag on the engine which pulls the rpms down and causes the steering to surge. Also if youve done something like let the kids watch dvds while the car isnt running this puts addditional load becasue the battery is undercharged and the alternator is trying harder to keep up.
However the newer vehicles should be better at keeping the rpms up under load so the steering pump can run.
My outie dont make the sound when is completely idle, only when i press the gas pedal a little bit or when the ac system raise the rpms near 750. I mean, the noise is VERY annoying and loud, and only happens after I drive like 15 minutes. BTW I'm not saying that the noise is produced by PS but is coming out near that area so I really dont know what is making this noise. I'll let you know in a week what the dealer discovered, if they do their job hehehe.

Thanks God is only a noise and not a malfunction. It is working fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: phaserkb

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse
BTW 600-750rpm is usually referred to as 'idle'.
To reproduce the noise I have to press the gas pedal a little bit, so is not idle at all.
Wait... in that case, what is your car idleing at?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM

I think I may know what you are talking about but need some more info. What does the noise sound like? Is it kind of a tinny rattling noise or something altogether different? High pitch or low pitch? Do you only notice it when the transmision is engaged?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: rdenis

I think I may know what you are talking about but need some more info. What does the noise sound like? Is it kind of a tinny rattling noise or something altogether different? High pitch or low pitch? Do you only notice it when the transmision is engaged?
Ok.

The noise is like a rubber frictioning against a clean metal surface, a continuous mid-high pitch. It happens always at 750 rpms no matter if its running, parked, neutral, reverse, ac on or off and after driving for 15 or 20 minutes (engine hot). Only near 750 rpms, no more or less. I'm trying to record the noise but I'm looking for a quiet place.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Hmm, not the same thing. Look forward to hearing your recording.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Ok guys.

I recored the noise using my Creative, quality is not that bad tho.
Files are wav @ 22k sampling rate mono.

All recordings where made in my garage.

The first recording: This morning just starting the motor and is not making the noise.
Click here to download (932 KB)

The second recording: Tonight after 30 minutes driving. I stood outside facing the hood.
Click here to download (1.10 MB)

The third recording: Just after teh second recording. I walked and placed the mic under the right front wheel.
Click here to download (1.02 MB)

Hope this give light to this issue.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Is your fan hitting something?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

Is your fan hitting something?

nope

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM

One of the reasons I am really curious is I too have noticed an odd sound a couple of times. However, I have only ever noticed it going through a drive-thru where the sound reverberated off the building and I had my window down. But when you described it as occuring when the engine is warm and just coming off idle I thought bingo, exact same issue. The sound I have is similar but maybe not as pronounced (I had the same thoughts as BGN as to perhaps fan blades hitting something). I also can't comment as yet whether it occurs all the time - I suspect so.

I need to do some more investigating now that I have heard your sound clips. How pronounced is the sound from inside the cabin with all your windows up?

Quick Reply: Weird noise only @ 600-750 rpms. Outlander 2007