Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Weird noise when cruising....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Exclamation Weird noise when cruising....???

Hello, I have an Outlander 08 LS model with a V6 engine. My problem is: when I’m cruising at between 80 and 110 KM/H I hear a weird noise like a squeaky belt accessories. I went to the dealer today and last time they changed both straps and today they changed the power steering tensioner pulley. Right after leaving the dealer, same noise again??? I went back again and the mechanic comes with me to try the vehicle. At first, he thought it was like a wind noise. We removed the hood deflector and tried it again and still the same noise, we flip the mirrors on both side and same weird noise again. After all that, we tried almost everything: we put it in neutral as we drive it around, same noise. We also put it neutral and turn the engine OFF, same noise!!!!! I was astonished... I really though it was the alternator because when it's cold and when I start the engine, first time at the morning, I was hearing like a grinding or rubbing noise from the alternator's pulley. So one day, before I start the engine, I took the strap off the alternator and I was hearing a squeaky noise direct from that pulley. I really though that problem was related, but I guess not. Maybe two different problems. Sorry for the long story, so did anyone knows or have experience that before???? Please help me, even the mechanic at the dealership doesn’t know where to go with that!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
tcp
Default two thoughts

Since it isn't engine speed related and seems to be wheel speed related, check for a rock in your brake pads. Does the squeal stop when you step on the brakes? If so i would suspect something like a rock wedged between a pad and the rotor. f the squeal continues when you step on the brakes, how about a bent rotor heat shield that is scraping on a rotor. All it takes is a small bend in the shield to rub as the rotor turns. I've had both these things happen, but it didn't take much to isolate which wheel it was coming from and check it from there.

Originally Posted by Mitsu28
Hello, I have an Outlander 08 LS model with a V6 engine. My problem is: when I’m cruising at between 80 and 110 KM/H I hear a weird noise like a squeaky belt accessories. I went to the dealer today and last time they changed both straps and today they changed the power steering tensioner pulley. Right after leaving the dealer, same noise again??? I went back again and the mechanic comes with me to try the vehicle. At first, he thought it was like a wind noise. We removed the hood deflector and tried it again and still the same noise, we flip the mirrors on both side and same weird noise again. After all that, we tried almost everything: we put it in neutral as we drive it around, same noise. We also put it neutral and turn the engine OFF, same noise!!!!! I was astonished... I really though it was the alternator because when it's cold and when I start the engine, first time at the morning, I was hearing like a grinding or rubbing noise from the alternator's pulley. So one day, before I start the engine, I took the strap off the alternator and I was hearing a squeaky noise direct from that pulley. I really though that problem was related, but I guess not. Maybe two different problems. Sorry for the long story, so did anyone knows or have experience that before???? Please help me, even the mechanic at the dealership doesn’t know where to go with that!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM

i have found that tab under the mirror, which gains you access to the mirror, creates a ton of a wind noise, i put a piece of black electrical tap over the front part so wind can't push through,

noise 100% gone