Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

weird paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Default RE: weird paint issue

I had a 94 Mazda MX-3, after 1 year the hood was covered in small paint chips. They repainted it without any complaints. the problem is that I only had a nice hood for a short time because it just kept chipping, the problem must have been with the primer?!?

I think that it would be very difficult to have them admit that it's a defect if there is only one chip. If you had a few chips in distinct area they would have to admit that there is an underlying problem.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Well-

the spot isn't a chip of paint missing - it is VERY clear to me, since I'm a metalsmtih and artst, that someone has tried to sand down an area that had a paint imperfection. The only thing - there isn't any paint missing, just clear coat. I was just posting, cuz I was wondering if anyone knew if re-clear coating was my only option. I'd post a pic, but it's very hard to see in normal lighting - I'll try to take a shot with my cam and post, though...

Thanks all..

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Whatever you do dont have the dealer do the work.

I have Never heard of any good dealer paint stories. Its not worth the mess even if they do if for free. And thats what you would get if it was warranty.

If you must paint the whole bumper. Have them remove it completly and paint without taping off. Ive had problems with clear coat peeling from the taped off parts.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:10 PM

BGN (boldlygoingnowhere)

I truly agree with you. I think, for now, I'm just going to be good about super-waxing the spot once a month - just to keep the paint lubricated and sealed. I don't want anything peeling off, either. I know from previous cars - repainting and re-clearcoating can really be an owner's worst experience. Still love my car, though.