Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Wheel bearing and alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 AM
Angry Wheel bearing and alignment problem

All,
I need to vend a little bit about a problem im having with my 2007 Outlander XLS. It has about 50k in miles. I had an oil change and tires rotated last week and now i have a loud humming noise in my passanger front. I took it in to the dealership who actually replaced the driverside wheel bearing. oh by the way, that bearing was replaced 3 months ago. Apparently the dealership put the bearing in wrong and it had to be replaced.

Heres my concerns. I left the dealership initially and my 4 wheel drive lock warning light came on. I took it back to the dealership who stated its because all 4 tires are not worn evenly and it senses one wheel is moving faster than the other. So the Outlander kills the all wheel drive systems. This is all because the new wheel bearing is actually working. Now the dealership is saying i need 4 new tires! these things were brand new in March! Heres the question: Can a bad wheel bearing cause the vehicle to come out of alignment and ruin my tires?

Frustrating experience. Im thinking of calling a Mits. rep if the dealership doesnt fix the problem. Let me know if anyone has had this experience.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM

A bad wheel bearing, if not addressed quickly, can cause uneven wear of a tire. Once that occurs it can have an effect on the other 3 tires because the vehicle is no longer tracking correctly, so yes it can cause alignment and tire problems.

BTW. The Outlander shutting down the AWD with the "uneven" tire is it's way of protecting the system from damage.