Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

WiFi backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016 | 08:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Honestly I've never heard of a wifi backup camera until you mentioned it so I think you may have to be the pioneer here and take one for the team...

You can always buy a used nav system from eBay or a scrap yard but it probably won't be cheap.

Does the OEM one actually have the curving lines in it? I've never heard of that feature either.
Yes, most late-model backup camera systems have curving lines. Here's a video that demonstrates them well for parking an Infinit G37 (the important stuff is about 40 seconds in):

Likely we won't have a Z until next spring, so I've got plenty of time to figure out the proper way to go without "taking one for the team".

Old 01-03-2016 | 09:53 PM

Wow that's pretty neat.

I use the distance lines more than the virtual lane thing though maybe if it curved I'd use it more... I think you also have to know a lot about the vehicle, the camera lens and the positioning of the camera on the body to make a virtual lane be accurate enough to use for parking so this will probably always be an OEM feature or something the Chinese will release for each specific model of car.

When I first installed my camera I backed it up against a lamp post in a parking lot and got out every few seconds because I didn't want to actually hit the post but I wanted to see how accurate the stop line was... It actually got me within about an inch of the pole before recommending I stop. I do love my backup camera though.

Let me know if you find out more info and what you end up doing, I'm always curious about random car gadgets.

Old 01-05-2016 | 12:51 PM

Does anybody have the item in the first Ebay link? Not the "wifi" one , but the one you can plug in the cigarette lighter?

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:25 PM

This one?
4 3" TFT LCD Monitor Wireless CAR Backup Camera Rear View System Night Vision | eBay

I don't have that kit but I had the exact same license mount camera on my Mazda and I've had 3 sets of those wireless video transmitters (exact same one). I found a knockoff OEM replica camera for my Outie that cost like $8 and I am using those same wireless units I also have a little Chinese flip out LCD screen that I didn't end up using because I replaced the head unit with one that had a screen.

The camera worked good enough, the picture wasn't super high res or anything but you weren't making a movie, you're backing up a car. I could read the plate of the car behind me at a few feet away. The IR LEDs did make a difference at night as well.
My current cam doesn't have IR but the reverse lights are so bright it doesn't need them.

The video tx/rx works well too. Picture is usually very clear, occasionally I get a little noise on the screen but it has never been enough to stop me from seeing what's going on behind me and this is a really rare occurrence.

Can't comment on that specific screen but I imagine it's the same LCD as I have on a stand rather than in a flip out case like this one:
Car Rear View 8LED Night Vision Camera &4.3" Flodable TFT LCD Screen Monitor Kit

But like I said I didn't really use it in the end.

I think the link just shows bare wires so you would need to make your own cig adapter for it, and make sure you cig power was off when the car is off so it doesn't drain your battery.

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:28 PM

Thanks! I'm lookng for something like this that I can just plug into the cig lighter so that I don't brush up against a tree or something backing up.
Not looking to play with any wiring though. Just plug and play.

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:37 PM

All you really need to do is solder or crimp a cigarette lighter connector onto the wires. You can probably find one with that already done but for the 5 minutes it will take I would just do it myself.

You will need to attach the transmitter to your reverse light +12v and a ground regardless if you go with this or WIFI or wired. The camera plugs into the transmitter with a backwards RCA cable looking thing.

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:38 PM

Thanks bud!

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:55 PM

No problem, hope it helps... I can take a picture of the screen next time I'm out there so you can see the quality, etc if that helps...

Let me know what you end up doing. I don't think there's a ton of people on here that have a ton of experience with this kind of thing so I think I'm probably going to be the best your going to get on here :P

Old 01-05-2016 | 10:47 PM

The only people using wireless backup cameras that i know of are people with trailers. It's a nice temporary solution.

But here's a wireless backup camera kit for $55 which attached over your rearview mirror, you leave it on all the time. Great for people with work trucks or work vans which can't normally use the rearview mirror.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LCD-Screen...xVMHvn&vxp=mtr