Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

will getting oil changes done somewhere else other than the dealer void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Default will getting oil changes done somewhere else other than the dealer void warranty?

Hey,

Just a few questions. Will getting my oil changed somewhere other than the dealer (using a K&N oil filter) void my warranty? It shouldn't right? I am only asking this since the nearest dealer is 90 minutes away by highway.

ALso, when do you guys change your oil the very FIRST time? I have been told a WIDE range of mileage....from 400km to 6000km. The salesman I dealt with suggested 3000km but I think the manual says something different....

Thanks all!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 PM

it won't void your warranty, but you need to make sure you follow the schedule, save the receipts, and use 5w20 SM rated oil.

I do my own oil changes and change it every 5k miles. Every receipt is scanned to an image file and archived and then the receipt gets put in a file folder just for the Outlander.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
it won't void your warranty, but you need to make sure you follow the schedule, save the receipts, and use 5w20 SM rated oil.

I do my own oil changes and change it every 5k miles. Every receipt is scanned to an image file and archived and then the receipt gets put in a file folder just for the Outlander.
So you did your FIRST oil change at 5000km? If I wanted to switch to synthetic in a little while, can the interval be extended? I can't remember what the manual says (I don't have it in front of me). Basically, on my car before this, it had 100,000km on it and I out synthetic into it every 9000-10000 km....What would be an appropriate interval for synthetic for the outlander and how many miles should be on it before using it? Thanks again

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM

we bought ours with 30k miles on the clock...no clue when the first one was done.

While your OCI could be extended with synthetic, i'm not sure it'd be worth the argument with the dealer if something happened to the engine and they notice you are going 9-10k km on an OCI.

Since I do my own, I usually watch the local sales at the parts houses (Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly) for decent deals. Last one I got was 5 quarts of any Mobile1 with Purolator PureOne filter for 20 bucks. I picked up their full synthetic 5w20. running with a oil like that, I have no worries going 5k miles. When I get close to end of warranty, I'd probably do a Used Oil Analysis and see what they say about extending the OCI.

If you really want to do some heaving reading with oils, check out Bob Is The Oil Guy's forum: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=1&page=1
I've recently seen discussions on first OCI length. Course, this is the internet. Some have said dump the factory fill after 1k miles, then do a 4k mile OCI, then continue with a 5k mile OCI after that. The worst thing you'd do I suppose with that schedule is lightening your wallet, but that'd be about it.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by piast
First change at 3K miles, twice a year (4 -5K) after that, standard oil.
so this won't screw up my warranty? What about using any brand oil filter (as long as it is for the outlander - I am a fan of K&N oil filters).

I think the manual says every 6000km. I used synthetic in my protege5 without any worries (we live in a place that gets COLD in the winter) and I had no issues with 10000km intervals).

I bought mobil1 dino oil (5W20) and a K&N filter. I am at 2000km and the salesman told me 3000km is when to do the first change, but the service people say there is no need to shorten it and to do it at 6000km.

I have never had a new vehicle and I just don't want to mess up my warranty..

thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 08:09 AM

this is my first "new" vehicle as well...never had a warranty before. Purolator, Mobile, K&N, WIX are good filters. I'd be leery of house brand filters. I've seen a number of reviews of FRAM filters using cardboard where others use steel parts; on the other hand, before I read up on them, I've used them without problems.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM

you do NOT need to change your oil sooner on the first oil change. Thats an ancient myth.

and synthetic is not needed, especially if you follow the 3750 mile intervals recommended by mitsu.