Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Changing my oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Default Changing my oil

Well, it's been a few days since I've seen an oil thread, so I figure I need to start up another one. I'm not so much concerned about the type of oil I choose, but I have some other questions.

I have ALWAYS changed my own oil, but I have never owned a new car. Forgive my ignorance of the subject, but if I change my own oil with my personal favorite (Quaker State w/Fram filter), will this void any warranty? Secondly, is it my decision as to whether I use theregular service schedule or the severe schedule? It seems to me that the warranty couldn't be voided if I picked the wrong schedule. How would the dealer know what kind of miles were driven, if a "real" problem were to occur?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice.

Alan

Old 03-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Changing my oil

I called my dealer and they said to use 5w-20 I believe its also on the oil cap. I asked if i change my own oil will it void thewarranty and they told me no. They said to keep all of my oil receipts. So im guessing if you have 30,000 miles on your car and 2oil receipts, then more than likely it will void your warranty. If you have 10 receiptsthen it shows you changed your oil often. I have my auto parts storeput the car the oil filter is for on the receipt as well. So the dealer cant say it wasn't formy outlander.Plan and simple, keep all your receipts!!!!!! It doesnt matter what brand oil or oil filter you use. Syn or reg it doesnt matter.

I'm not a mechanic but i'm sure that if you don't change your oil there are ways of telling this. Your engine will build up sludge and the oil will get all nasty.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM

There is also a good side if you let the dealer do the oil change. They will actually do some inspection of your vehicle other than the oil change, which is a good thing for me since I'm not a mechanic. The severe and regular schedule are clearly differentiated and IMO it will void you warranty if you choose the wrong schedule (just my opinion). Besides, I'm not really good at keeping receipts, and if I lose them, I lose my warranty. I was told by the service manager that in some cases, Mitsu can actually do some repairs for free even after warranty if you record shows you've been taking care of the vehicle well. With the mileage I'm driving, I'm looking at 3 to 4 oil changes a year under severe schedule, so that isn't really much if I go to the dealership and let them do the job, besides I don't want to mess with the used oil and worry about disposing of it later. But that's just me.

And yes, the service dept said they will use 5W20 as recommended by Mitsu.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Do what I've done with all my cars, I do it my self, its so much fun and you get the piece of mind that you did it right. Also as far as receipt keeping just make a folder for your car, everytime you change the oil type a page with info such as mileage date and oil used and next due date, then staple the receipt into that page and put it into the folder. Then theres no worries of the receipts getting lost and you could keep this folder along all your important documents. You can even go as far as making sections for your folder to log in MPG averages and washes but thtas up to you, I'm an aircraft mechanic so I tend to be overlly sensitive about my machines. But as far as schedule I would go with severe just to be save. Oh and by the way stick to the 5w20, all these B series engines recommend it so there must be a reason other than fuel economy.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

besides I don't want to mess with the used oil and worry about disposing of it later. But that's just me.
If you live in the US advance auto takes it for free. Most local townships take it for free. Other townships require a cheap permit to dump stuff. Getting rid of the oil shouldn't be a problem at all otherwires everyone would throw it in the trash or dump it down a drain.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 AM

do yourself a favor, and dont use quaker state. It builds up and turns into sludge... horible product...
Mobile1, or havoline formula3

Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: euler21

Well, it's been a few days since I've seen an oil thread, so I figure I need to start up another one. I'm not so much concerned about the type of oil I choose, but I have some other questions.

I have ALWAYS changed my own oil, but I have never owned a new car. Forgive my ignorance of the subject, but if I change my own oil with my personal favorite (Quaker State w/Fram filter), will this void any warranty? Secondly, is it my decision as to whether I use theregular service schedule or the severe schedule? It seems to me that the warranty couldn't be voided if I picked the wrong schedule. How would the dealer know what kind of miles were driven, if a "real" problem were to occur?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the advice.

Alan
you can certainly do all you own maintenence.. just hang on to ALL your receipts.
also, there isnt a car in the country that doesnt fall under the "severe" service schedual... all you have to do is read what is considered severe in your manual. It will say things like "stop and go driving, severe hot or cold weather, extreem dusty conditions, etc.etc".
also, trust me on this one thing.. it is VERY, VERY easy for a decent technician to tell if a car has been neglected or abused.
I always tell people one important thing about maintenence, and thats you cant have too much. you wont hurt anything by changing your oil too often, but you will if you dont change it often enough.
I (and mitsubishi) recommend an oil change every 3750 miles. Thats probably sooner than most cars really need it, but it WILL be good for the car.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:45 PM

Yes the only time you wont use the "severe" schedule is unless the car is under storage, even then you have to follow the non-severe one.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM

got some nice sites for you to visit, in relation to which oils to use, and not to use... Good information, and this is the reason I use Mobil1
I wont use any oil that is in a test done by the maker... so that puts the "top performing" oils in some of these test out.... but, it does give a good refrence to what the other oils are doing, and what test they are using to find out which is best.
http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...il_testing.htm

hope these were helpfull

Old 03-25-2007, 08:09 PM

0w 30 and 20w 50 and 5w 50.............What kind of car takes these?