Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

yellowish fluid on ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Default yellowish fluid on ground

Hey all,

Well, the outlander (2009 V6) just got brought from Alberta to NS on a car carrier (supposedly wheel strapped down the whole way). It was deleivered last night

However this morning, when I moved it, I noticed yellowish fluid (and it isn't pee :P) in the snow near the front of the truck (more to the passenger side I would think). Since our coolant is green, it isn't that. brake fluid seems a bit lower, but everything feels ok. I called the dealership and they said it was stuff dripping of the exhaust manifold?? All I know is that I haven't seen this happen before (however, we were in alberta, not NS)

Can anyone give me their two cents on this? I am going to see if it is there today after work since it would have been parked for 8 hours in one spot.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM

...sure it wasn't yellow snow!

coolant is green (unless changed out, Peak Global Lifetime is yellow), power steering is usually red (unless changed out for something else, some synthetics are different color). Brake fluid is almost a clear/light amber color. How yellow of a yellow? Maybe a cat made some yellow snow? They do like to gather under cars in the winter time for warmth.

I don't know what would drip off the exhaust manifold...usually they take all the exhaust manifold grease off at the factory.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
tcp
Default windshield washer fluid?

The windshield washer container is on the passenger side front. Could it be some of that. Possibly the container cracked or overflowed? A hose popped off the pump and it's draining slowly out that? The only other thing I can think of is the transfer case, which has a 80 or 90 weight gear oil that might have some yellowish color. drop a few drops of each fluid beside the stain and see if anything matches up.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
The windshield washer container is on the passenger side front. Could it be some of that. Possibly the container cracked or overflowed? A hose popped off the pump and it's draining slowly out that? The only other thing I can think of is the transfer case, which has a 80 or 90 weight gear oil that might have some yellowish color. drop a few drops of each fluid beside the stain and see if anything matches up.
It's weird - my girlfriend called and said the same thing happened to her car!!!

I scoured the internet and there was a forum where this was brought up and they said that it was a mixture of ice, rust and salt from the roads after hitting a hot pipe that causes this (bascially what the mitsubishi guy said to me...)

The fact it happened to my girlfriend's Buick on the exact same day after a HUGE snowstorm is just bizarre, but it points to the above theory....

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Actually there is nothing wrong with your car, basically water/snow comes into contact with the stainless steel on the exhaust. Last winter I was scratching my head but then after doing some research and a fact that all my fluids were in check I came to this conclusion. Nothing really to worry about.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Well, we just been hit with another snow storm here in NJ and as you can see from the attached picture, the mysterious yellowish spots started to appear again. They seem to come from the center middle of the car and there is no smell to it (I didn't try to taste it though :P). One thing about the Outlander though. I have like 15 inches of wet snow on my driveway about 50 meters in length and the Outlander with its stock Yokohama tires went through it like it was nothing.

Attached Thumbnails yellowish fluid on ground-outlander1.jpg  

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 01-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Well, we just been hit with another snow storm here in NJ and as you can see from the attached picture, the mysterious yellowish spots started to appear again. They seem to come from the center middle of the car and there is no smell to it (I didn't try to taste it though :P). One thing about the Outlander though. I have like 15 inches of wet snow on my driveway about 50 meters in length and the Outlander with its stock Yokohama tires went through it like it was nothing.

Yup, that's the color! Crazy huh?

I've been back on the east coast (NS) for 3 weeks now and am getting a bit tired of the weather already! Everyone says that the winters suck in southern Alberta - I'll take them anyday.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Cool a car that peee