New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

2013 Outlander Sport cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 PM
Default 2013 Outlander Sport cranks but no start

Hello all, I am desperately looking for some help. I am stuck and not sure where to go from here. A little back story: In Jan of this year I had a very mild fender bender with a dodge truck. It damaged the rear bumper and back hatch. A great body shop repaired everything and the car was great. Car sat in my garage for 2 weeks because of the snow storms in Dallas. Pulled the car out of the garage and drove about 15 miles down the road and on the way back it said it was losing oil pressure. Sure enough I got it home and checked the oil pressure, and it was like at 15 psi. So I left the car alone and ordered an oil pump and oil pan. Replaced the parts and changed the oil at the same time of course. Car ran great for 3 days, with no oil pressure alarms. On that 3rd day, wife was leaving in the car and it was sitting in the driveway idling for about 2 minutes. While standing next to the car, it died. And it has never ran again. That was about 2 months ago. I pulled the codes, nothing.. No check engine lights or problem codes at all. I replaced the crank and camshaft sensors, nothing.. I took the ECU to a repair shop, they said it might be broken, but they couldn't tell. So I ordered a used ECU from ebay and towed the car to the dealership. Dealership said the original ECU was fine, but to entertain me they programmed the used ECU as well. Nothing helped. Car still does not run. I have done every single oil/fluid/trans service on this car myself. I am not a mechanic, however I have worked on my own cars, and family members cars for over 20 years. I have never had a problem like this I couldn't figure out. Car has 240,000 miles on it, so might be time to trash it. (Cant say that infront of the wife)

Anyways, I am not getting spark to the spark plugs which prompted me to change ECU/crank/camshaft sensors. The dealership is about to give up because they told me they cant figure it out either. The car has been fantastic and it's paid for. Any idea's/thoughts are welcomed. Thanks all.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:07 AM

I would be looking at the data on a scan tool to see if the crank sensor is working. If it isn't i would be checking the supply voltage and earth to the crank sensor.

Hopefully not a mitsubishi dealership....

Old 04-12-2021, 02:29 PM

The scan tool says its not getting a signal from the crank sensor. No wiring was ever messed with during my repair of the oil pump/pan. The dealership said there was no power going to the crank sensor.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:29 PM

The 5V signal for the crankshaft sensor comes from the ECU. So the garage needs to check the signals from this ECU and act accordingly to the results. This is basic auto diagnostics, and if they cant do that, then you need to find someone that can

Old 04-12-2021, 04:46 PM

Is there a wiring diagram for this circuit? Thanks for the assist bud.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:26 AM

MMC Manuals

there will be a non specific diagram on here, but it might not necessarily be exact for you model.

But most 4B11 engines are very similar, so it might be useful

Old 04-13-2021, 05:46 PM

Oh wow, the wiring diagram is in a different language. hhhmm..

Old 04-13-2021, 05:53 PM

Ok, so after some googling, and translating, it looks like PIN 8 is the 5 volt supply. Pin 24 is the ground. Both of these wires go to crankshaft sensor. Sound right?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 PM

All the diagrams are in english though

Crank sensor connector B111 has 3 pins pin 1 should be 5v (red wire), pin 2 is earth and pin 3 is signal back to ecu

which is pin 9 on ecu which also goes to camshaft position sensor, so if you have no 5v there go to cam sensor wire 1 (also red) and that should be 5v, if not then you need to check supply and earths to ecu to make sure connections are good

Last edited by DibbyDibbyDJ; 04-13-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:24 AM

Gotcha. Looks like I need to check some wiring. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2013 Outlander Sport cranks but no start