New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

heater issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Default heater issues

good morning all,
I am a first time poster, i just want to say thank you for any help I may receive in advance. i have a 2001 eclipse spyder the heater stopped working yesterday the hole control panel is dead the defroster vent button all do not work. the 30 a fuse that is listed for the the heat system was melted on one leg but tested good (problem one but the circuit is good). then i check the horn (Easter egging maybe but i figured control power) fuse ten amp. it was blown so i put a new one in and it blew on contact so short somewhere is the thought before i start this beast i was hoping to come up with a plan of attack anyone seen this one or familiar with the systems can help me think through this. I would be very appreciative.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Try gettting a factory repair manual for your car or subscribe to a web serivce that you can provide it as a download. For electrical problems, you really need to get the factory shop repair manuals or a real good aftermarket one. There has not been one electrical issue in my 93 TSI, that I could not solve with the factory Mitsu manuals. Believe me, 19 years comes with a lot electrical issues.

You say the (w)hole heat/ac control panel is not working and the fuse that feeds it had one leg that was melted?

You will probably need to remove the heat/ac control panel. Getting a factory manual will help you remove the trim pieces because there are always little hidden fasteners that if you do not remove, you may break something trying to remove it. It may be a bad connection to the control panel that is the issue, I have seen this type of thing before.