New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello there.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Default Hello there.

Hi, new to these forums, about to get my license and buy an EVO in a few months. Although its early, I intend to read, read, read and learn more about EVOS from the "pros" so i can fully maximize my potential.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned
Default RE: Hello there.

Whoa slow down there. Don't take this as a lecture, because I too am 17, so I can relate some what.

Although the EVO is one of the most electronically assisted cars on the market today, it does requite the 'driver mod' if you will. What I am trying to say, is you can't jump in and be given Gods feet. It is a decently powered car, and will kill you in a heartbeat if you F up while you are showing off.

If you are looking at an EVO, I assume you can already drive a stick? If so, great. I hope you have been driving one for a while, because EVO clutches don't like rookies. If you are not skilled at driving a stick, I strongly advise against getting an EVO.

So you say you are getting an EVO. What model specifically did you have your eye on, and why? (curiosity sake)

Okay, so lets go throuh this.

First you have the EVO coming to the US in 2003 with the VIII (EVO 8). The EVO VIII is stiffer of the EVOs on the market today. It is a little lighter and more rigid than the IX and the X.

The VIII does have its little quirks and draw backs. One of the major problem with EVOs today is that they have been constantly driven by car enthusiats. Now, this wouldn't normally be a problem, except that people like to launch at 7,000 RPM by reving the car up, and dumping the clutch. Roasting both the clutch, and putting major hurt on the transfer case/tranny. EVO's also need constant maintanance. The cars monstrous Brembo brakes like to chew through pads at a good rateand they need transmission and transfer case flushes as frequant as you can give them. I know people that like to do it every 15k, some every 30, and some do it by the book at 60k (advise against that). EVO's also need premium fuel because it is turbocharged. Pretty much any turbo car is going to need premium fuel (if you need to ask why, google "Knock pre detonation"). You can get the VIII on the used market today for about 16k with about 55k-60kmiles on it, and this is the bottom of the scale. I would say that the key to finding a good EVOVIII is to find one with low miles, someone that isn't a car enthusiast, unmodded, and one that has a full service record. For this you are likely going to pay around 19k, or perhaps less if you get lucky. As you know, EVO's also lack creature comforts, most of us wouldn't care around here, but if you are looking for even the slighest bit of comfort, forget it.

The other is the IX. Started in 2005, the IX was the first to feature the new MIVEC head. In stock form the MIVEC is an advantage, but once you start making upwardsof 400hp, it becomes a hinderance (don't quote me on that). The IX also had a standing rev limiter of 5500RPM I think, to stop morons from dumping the clutch super high. Of course the same things that apply to the VIII also apply to the IX in terms of maintanance and clutch. You can get an IX on the used market today for low 20s.

The X is the new breed of EVO. The X featuresan all new never seen before motor, the 4b11. As well as a new motor, the X also looks entirely different, and is built for more of the every day kind of perosn. Personally I think it's lame that they are now making them in the stupid paddle shift, so queers and posers can drive them. Thanks Mitsu. As far as performance goes, the 4b11 responds to mods a little better than the 4G63 in the VIII and the IX. The X is much softer than the other two, as well as heavier, and consequently a tad bit slower. Long term, nobody really knows what the new X is capable of, because nobody has had the time to push it to the limits or put any decent mileage on it. So I can't tell you there.

The 4G63 in the VIII and the IX is capable of around 540 wheel horse power before meltdown. With forged internals and what ever else, you are looking at upwards of 1000whp (got 50k?). The clutches don't typically like being pushed past 350 at the wheels, but the drivetrain remains solid as long as you don't abuse it.

One of the major misconceptions is that the MR is better, because it has some cool **** glued onto it, and a 6speed transmission. Couldn't be more to the contrary. The MR's tranny is a good amount weaker than the 5speed in the normal EVO, as well as slower. So you really would be pissing money away.

As the same with all EVO's, the best mod you can do is a data logger and tining device. EVOs come from the factory with a really rich tune to keep things safe, and this isn't a bad thing until the boltons you spend thousands on arent making their full potential. Once you lean it out a little bit, a lot more power is produced without sacrificing reliability. Nobody has yet to try to 'tune' and EVO X yet, I guess they don't fully understand the dynamics of the ECU at this time, but that will change very soon.

If you want to avoid getting screwed when getting one, look for a few key things. I would ask the owner what kind of things he likes to do, maybe ask him about local autocross events, or perhaps local drag strips, and pop in a question like "You ever been there in the EVO?" to seem interested. The point is just to know if the car has been beaten on. If so, I would knock off the price or walk away. Usually when driving the car, you can tell how much the clutch is worn by how far the pedal travels before it engages. From new, the EVO's clutch will engage a little bit off the floor, and get higher and higher as wear increaces. So if it's engaging when your foot is almost entirely off it, the clutch is gone. Also check for things like oil changes, pull the dip stick and see if its golden brown or black. If black, run away. Also take a sniff under the oil cap, if it smells like gas, then it means a little motor wear. If you smell gas, then do a compression test (don't forget to take a testerwith you!). Also look for a white goop under the oil cap. If you see white mayo looking stuff, that means a headgasket, and walk away or get some serious $$$ knocked off it. Also look for things like fluid leaks in the transmission and transfer case/differential, as well as oil leaks etc. Look for smoke coming from the exhaust, remembering that a little black smoke is actually normal for these cars.

I think that just about covers it. If you are serious about getting an EVO, and have little experiance, I suggest doing an advanced drivers course, and maybe attending a race day or two. Not saying you suck because you are young, but **** happens.

With all that out of the way, I say good luck to you.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot, the EVO is NOT a drift car.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Christ I talk too f-ing much.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM

wow yeah... but thats a lecture that even helped me lol....
Welcome to the forums

Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 PM

Wow, that was beyond enlightening, thanks for this though, will make me deeply reconsider getting an EVO.
Was looking for a XIII or a IX (Why? I'm just attracted to them I guess.) And yes I can drive a stick, I doubt I am great at it but I'm getting there with the help of some friends and practice.

I talked with my cousin and some friends to get their input and they basically said I should start with a somewhat cheap turbo car. ( Not quite sure what those are )

Before landing upon the EVO, I've been interested in the a 01-04 AUDI A4 1.8T or a E36 M3 thinking they may be some good starting cars that wont get me killed.

If I don't get an EVO, what do you think are some good starting cars that can become beasts?

Thanks for the input though, may prolong death for a few of us newcomers.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Well dude as long as you don't treat the car like **** it will be fine.

With all that being said the EVO is a great car... I would still get one. Just letting you know what your in for.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM

I still want one also, but I'm wondering what are some good alternatives with my budget up to 20-25k max.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

... you might be able to sneak in a Supra Twin Turbo for mid 20's

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Rob
Banned

Welcome to the forums.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the hep Sebba, it saddens me to not get an EVO.

Current realistic choices are a MK3/4 or an AUDI B5/6 A4 1.8TQ,(if there is a clean EVO when i buy my car, i'll take it =]) trying to figure out which one would be better.

On a side note, thanks Rob & nice ride.

Quick Reply: Hello there.