New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New guy over here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Default New guy over here!

Hello all. My name is Adam, and just joined. For sometime now I have been wanting to purchase a 2nd gen eclipse. Either a gs or gsx 96-99 model. I was wondering what a good price is for how many miles, whether or not a 5 spd or auto.. is better, and an eclipse vs. a civic for life span (not performance). Also for those of you on this forum I would assume would already have an eclipse, and am wanting to know if you are happy with it? Any insight would be most helpful with making my decision. Thanks

Old 01-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned
Default RE: New guy over here!

Welcome!

Well lets think about it.... the GS/RS are the non turbo 2g eclipse models. The turbo models are the GST and GSX... the only difference being that the GSX has AWD. So obviously the GSX would be the better choice. Anything around 100k miles is normal for 2g eclipses... the most desierable model is the 97-99 because the have a slightly better looking, more aggressive. A good price for a GSX is anything below 9k. 9k is a little steep but if it is low miles.... then its worth it. The 5 speed is defenatly the way to go. In terms of speed and just plain fun. The auto sucks.

I had a GST for a while that i left in the UK. I loved it... the torque steer was a little crazy (because it was front wheel drive) ... but it was fun as hell.

However thecovic is defenatly more reliable... but not nearly as fast and not nearly as much fun to drive.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

typical price ranges foran RS/GS would be from 3k-6k. For a GST anywhere from 5-8k. And a GSX from 5-10k again all depending on year, miles, condition, ect.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:32 PM

All of this info.. has been useful. However, the comment about the civic being more reliable does give me second thoughts. I'm really looking for a car that is going to last me for the next 5 years easy anyhow. So that being said I guess I would like to hear some "horror" stories about the eclipse, or any information about prone problems with the eclipse 2nd gen model.(i.e.- tranny issues, motor problems, turbo problems, electrical.) Before I go and sink abunch of money into a car I would like to hear the good as well as the bad side. So with all of you on here that have actually had to deal with those issues, please share them.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Ok my advice to you would be.... if you dont care about speed then the civic is a much better car for you.

Horror stories include... trannys grenading, motors spinning bearings and throwing rods...

Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 PM

well, if your getting a 2g theresa higher chance of crankwalk... i own a 1g right now as you can see the yellow demon, and i have nad ZERO problems with engine or anything. well i did crack the body kit but that dont count cuz i did it. it has aprx. 130k miles and still running smooth.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Ok the GS models do not hold up very well when it comes to ******* it.I bought a 96 GST spyder and parked my 95 GS because it just didnt wanna run anymore. It was my first 5 speed and i just about drove the wheels off of it.If i were you i would go with the GST or GSX they are more equipped for a little bit faster and harder driving. Definatly 5 speed because they are so much more fun to drive, and it is an awesome feeling when some guy comes pulling up beside you in amustang GT and you walk the dog all over him. Automatics are just boring. GST's and GSX's are more expensive to work on and have the dreaded crankwalk syndrome but most of the 96 models have already past the point for crankwalk, that usually happens earlier on with lower miles, usually those models are already close to 100K miles. I paid 6800 for my GST spyder but it only had 66,000 miles on it. It was well worth it. As far as reliablilty, the Civic is gonna be more reliable, you can runa lower octane gas in it, probably has better gas mileage, and hondas just last a very long time. So its a toss up between the two, you want fun, quick, and sporty go with the eclipse GST or GSX, you want reliable and economical go with the honda

Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 PM

Well I really wasn't looking into an eclipse for the speed of it. I thought that it being a mitsubishi (foreign car) it would run awhile, and with it being a turbo maybe would make it all the better. I've never heard of the term "crankwalk" before?? But this is all very useful in making a decision. The more I think on it, I lean towards the eclipse. My buddies ex-girl had a 95 gsx, finally had issues with the clutch so the dumb b**ch sold it. But that car was alot of fun vs. a old a** civic. Curious though,,, is a turbo eclipse easily converted to a reg.. intake. In the event a turbo were to go out??

Old 01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

No you cant just convert a turbo car to a non turbo. My advise, if you dont plan on doing the maintenance and the fixing that comes with a turbo car then go with the GS/RS. The only major problem that those will give you is a head gasket. But a turbo going will be the least of the issues with a turbo car.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM

With that being said, I'll prolly lean towards getting a gs. For the simple fact that the turbo is no longer an issue to worry about. But with the GS/RS and a head gasket going out,,, is this a complicated issue to fix for the 2.0?? Also,, is it very common for a head gas.. to go out on a 98-99 GS model with 90xxx-130xxx miles on it??