New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Member, Old Cabby

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Default New Member, Old Cabby

Hi Guys!
I have just joined (obvious) and would like to know if anyone can help with info about my Mitsubishi. It is a Jeep and seems to be from the 50's - 70's.

It has the Mitsubishi logo on the front, but it is a ****** Jeep. It has two benches down the sides and a wooden floor at the back, I suspect it was used as an ambulance in the jungle war in Korea, or Vietnam or one of those.

My issue is that the VIN number is not available and was re-issued by the SAP, so I can't use that to track any info. the engine has been replaced by a V8, but it seems to have the original transfer case and diffs. There is a casting number on the case - GF25.

Can anyone please help with any Specs on the diffs and TC? and please tell me how to disengage and engage the different 4x4 modes?

Thank you !!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 AM

traction control in the 70s was done with your right foot. if you wanted more traction, you eased up, if you wanted less, you planted it.

as for the 4x4 modes?
ther should be a stick that says 2, 4, 4L...

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 AM

-edit-
i see you meant Transfer Case, not Traction Control.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 AM

****** jeeps were made under license by mitsubishi right up to the 90s. The used imports i have seen run a 2.7 mitsubishi diesel
See this link for one here in NZ
Mitsubishi Jeep 1978 | Trade Me
Cant help you with how to drive it im afraid

Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 AM

Hi Akzle,

Thank you very much for the response! I like your directions for traction control :-)

I do have the little plate mounted on the dash with that map, but my question is, how do i engage and disengage the thing? must the car be moving, or must it stand still and idle must i first switch the hubs over to 4x4 or does that not matter?
Do I have to push the shifter in and then change or is it just gooi?
the shifter feels pretty solidly stuck in one place, but i don't know if i'm just not using enough force or something...

Later...

Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 AM

personally, i would slow down to put it in 4h, not more than about 20km/h and yes, it's done as a gear change so clutch in.

for 4l, i'd be completely stopped or not much over walking pace.

if you have manual locking hubs, you will need to engage them (usually a quarter turn on the front wheels) BEFORE engaging the shift lever - so obviously you will be stopped for this.

as for difficulty engaging? the selector forks could well be seized, unfortunately there is no easy way to remedy it without removing the box.
the other thing would be the linkage, whichc you should be able to access by lifting the rubber boot around the lever.

old 4x4 did tend to be harder to engage, but don't force it too much or you'll break something.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 AM

Thank you Akzle! I will give it a try. and let you know...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 AM

lawd i hope youre not stuck somewhere.
Thing i forgot to tell you, some hubs you have to reverse off 4x4.
Ie, unlock them, put back in 2h and drive a short way in reverse, youll hear the half shafts snap back in, disengaging the front hubs