New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nice car!
0%
Eh, it's ok
0%
Dude, your car sucks!
0%
Not a bad car, just not for me.
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Proud new owner of a 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Default Proud new owner of a 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS! Thoughts?

Just bought my first car - an 01 Eclipse GS! (ok, i've had it for about a month)

Specs:
- 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
- 2.4L V4
- Milage: 88K

Thoughts? What are peoples impressions on the 3G Eclipses?

I paid 8.3K at a dealership for it, which I think was a good deal - but it turned out that it needed some work which was not visable when I bought it, and the dealership didn't pay for for ****. (Never by a used car from Team Nissan Marietta!)

Water leaks:
Sunroof had to be adjusted, drain cleaned out. Cost and service center: $100. Back quater window had to be re-sealed. Cost at repair shop: $80.

Coolant hose burst:
This was a real **** up, it was a $10 part - but I'm not much of a car person so I called up the dealership and asked if they'd cover it (the car was and is under it's inital mechanical warrenty). They were pretty certian they would and I thought I saw the part in the warrenty conditions, so they towed it. It ended up that the part was not covered so I paid almost $200 for the tow and the fix (they fixed it anyway and I had to pay!).

Water from A/C leaking into passenger compartment:
Took it to dealership (again, car was under mechanical warrenty) but they wouldn't pay for the fix. Apparently debry had built up because of a lack of a filter in the 3G eclipses and had blocked the system up. I managed to sort this out myself, at least for now. I took apart the dash and got to the evaporator, and managed to clean out quite a bit of junk. I then raised the car, found the drain hose, and stuck a coat hanger up there to try and loosen things. Got a small amout of stuff out, may have loosend things up too. It stopped the leaking, and the condensation dripps out of the hose now (instead of into the driver side footwell). I don't know how long it will be before the debry builds up again, hopefully a while! Cost: quite a bit of my time.

So the total cost for the car so far has been around 8.7K, hopefully I have seen the most of the problems.

I'll be trying to take care of the car myself, so you'll probably see me asking lot's of questions! Hopefully I wont regret my purchase!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Proud new owner of a 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS! Thoughts?

Welcome and post pics.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

The Polls are messed up.

Honestly its a good work horse, but it isn't for me.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM

ahh, the a/c started leaking again...

thx for the replies - do you think it's a car worth customizing?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

No car is worth customizing unless its a Supra or a Skyline.

Any money you put into it, you will never get back.

Another thing, hardly ANYONE knows how to tastefully modify a car... bodykits and wings are GAY

Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 PM

lol true, I guess "worth" was not the right word when talking about a car.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 AM

First thing post some pics please!?! Secondly to be honest i dont think bodykits and skirts are gay at all .. not if its done professionally and it suits the car .... also there arehundreds of cars that look good after modifications not just Supra's and Skylines. Evo is a prime example!

My opnion is..It is worth modifying just to make it your own.

It's all about your taste, do what you wanna do matey!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM

I'm working on the pics - weather had been terrible lately and I want to get some with the sun shining on it

And I'll probably be holding off on the mods anyway, due to my financial situation atm

Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM

jack you sound just like me only i think i got a better deal lmao.

I bought they same make/model vehicle with the same 2.4L engine and what not. My car had 127000 miles when i bought it. it also had 4 enkei rs6 rims (one with curb rash but its hard to see)

it was a private seller asking for 5,600. I offered him 4g for it and he took it. here I am showing off my new ride at the end of the school year and i have to garage it for the last month of school. there was a problem with the ac compressor and i had no money at the time. So i finally get enough to buy the part (almost 200 bucks) and to charge the ac and to put the part in it cost 140 extra.

now im happy again.

all of the sudden, im having a problem with my alternator. SO i get a remanufactured alternator for 115 and when i pay the guy 50 bucks to find out what was wrong and to put the alternator in, it happens to be no good. luckily the alternator had a warranty so they sent me a brand new one free. (just had to wait another week) oh and not to mention he wanted $35 more to put the 2nd alternator in.

alright now i have a running car. good for me right?

wrong.

when i bought the car, they seller told me that I just needed to buy one new tire for the front passanger. no problem cuz i initially thought that 4g was not a bad price to pay. finally i go to get this tire replaced but there is no KEY FOR THE RIMS! I spend 40 bucks on a lug set just to throw the lugs away (figure of speach) and use the key. so i get the rim off the car and the tire off the rim. I was going to have him mount a tire that i found for only 20 bucks (not 70 so i thought i was getting a cheap good tire) and he comes out and says "we cant put ur tire on cuz your rim is cracking and it wont hold air for much longer. now im really P.O.'d

luckily i know a guy that was willing to fix my rim for free. it saved me 150 bucks.

back to getting the tire on now right?

wrong again.

they look at the $20 tire i bought and say "uh this tire is sliced we cant put it on. (no wonder the tire was $20 lol)

the next day i go get a brand new tire and they mounted it and then i get home to put the wheel on the car. YAY I FINALLY HAVE A CAR THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

-currently there is a messed up flex pipe and thats gonna be another $86 altogether for labor and part.

-i also bought for the car a 100 dollar cd deck, new taillights and new headlights (170 altogether), and a decal

-so a 4g car 3 months later ends up costing me about 4,700.

**ughh**

Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 PM

I really didn't need to know that

you suck

(jk - kinda)

Quick Reply: Proud new owner of a 01 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS! Thoughts?