New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

RVR SportsGear issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Default RVR SportsGear issues

i've had this great car 2.6 years.

had annual service in dec 2011 and from there it went downhill. each time it visits the workshop for something minor another "serious" problem is discovered with yet another way of how to solve it. there seems to be no consensus on what is wrong. or the right way to fix it. with all the conflicting advice we have done nothing. each time the vehicle comes back to us it is riding the same or worse. HELP!

solutions vary depending on the workshop so who do i believe?

1. burning oil - have been told it could be oil seals (pressure test suggest this), also heard it could be rings, and the best of all could require new engine etc.

2. erratic idling that causes clock to pulsate and lights to flash bright and dim - have been told this is due to burning oil (?), also told it could be fuel pump pressure problems (scan says this is possible), also told it could be battery so replaced that and now it's even worse.

I need expert advice please. we are being mucked around. have no confidence in the 3 workshops that have provided the advice.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Sounds like you might have a bad ground wire, check all of your grounds, coil pack, fuel injectors, battery to chassis, engine to chassis. Another thing, I would check the alternator, a diode might be bad causing a surge of AC through your electrical system, as far as the burning of oil causing this I highly doubt it, go to a different mech, that guy needs to go back to working fries at mcdonalds. Most mechanics will tell you a whole list of things to throw you off, so they can rip you off, especially with the economy the way it is. How much oil does it burn?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM

thanks for the tip DigitalEclipse. not burning that much since we switched to synthetic oil. cold morning starts are a bit smokey. the erratic idling happened overnight and nobody applies their logical mind to ideas around resolving it. we are convinced it is a problem with current.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Take your alternator and have it tested, all the major parts stores will do it for free. If its not burning that much oil then I would suspect faulty valve seals, do all cylinders fail compression check?