New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

totally new to the eclipse family and stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Default totally new to the eclipse family and stuck

so i am totally stuck. i bought my first mitsubishi eclipse spyder after last car was hit and written off by drunk driver.drove 8 hours for the new girl and half our after i bought her a belt broke.this led to a horrible learning experience with mechanics as i usually work on my own cars.we were stuck on the side of the highway for at least 18 hours and overnight to boot but i refused to leave the new girl.the next morning we were towed to a mechanic .the belt that broke shattered the crankshaft sensor causing timing belt to jump and valves to knock.my son stayed with the car four days that it took to realize no compression in the engine.2500.00 later new water pump, sensor, belts replaced and new head and tune up and almost a month later my son goes back to pick up the car as my injuries i could not drive standard.the shop let him leave with the engine making a ticking noise telling him it would go away.well guess what its not.many people have looked and said it sounds like its coming from the belts.the mechanic who fixed her wants us to drive 8 hours to check it.the paper says that they repaired my crank pick up wheel.as much as i love the car im gna have to sell her as i cant figure this out and i refuse to drive her 16 hours in total for a warranty that they are trying not to honor as they told my son to take off the timing belt cover see if it gets louder which in turn would have voided their warrenty.im a a loss as to what this could be anybody been thru this type of problem and figured out the noise. it is coming from right side of engine in the belt area.i took it to a mechanic here who listened with a stethescope and he said he couldnt say if it was a valve unless he opened her up.she is a 96 eclipse spyder gs.balance belt, timing belt,crank sensor,new cylinder head,waterpump,repaired crank pick up wheel,and no dealerships anywhere close to here that may actually know whats up

Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM

I hate auto mechanics, all they care about its the dollar, sorry to hear about your experience, for as much as you have invested you could have purchased a whole new engine, with a12000 mile warranty

Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM

yah i wish i had known that but after my accident i couldnt even think straight enuff to do tha and i was trying to find stuff online.if it had broke at home i probly would have more sense about me but i was at a loss what to do and listening to them.thats why iv always liked to do it myself

Last edited by angel73; 06-21-2011 at 12:21 PM.