New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Whats up

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Default Whats up

hey guys, name's Tyler and i just traded a guy my old 96 3.8 camaro with quite a few mods for a 93 eclipse gsx w/ 5 speedwith even more mods. i gotta admit i miss my baby but this eclipse is a quick little turd

heres the mods he has done to it so far:

Drilled front rotors
Drilled rear rotors(unistalled, i gotta do that)
KYB 4-way adj. front struts
KYB 8-way adj. rear struts(unistalled)
Eibach 2-inch drop coils
NGK Iridium spark plugs
Accel 8mm plug wires
Greddy turbo timer(currently unpluged, i need to read more about WHEN to use this, he sais i dont need it when im just driving around normally, dont know though)
Auto Meter tach, boost, air/fuel gauges
Reverse glow gauges
Greddy BOV
HKS ic pipes
Short throw shifter( i personally dont know what kind, he forgot to mention)
K&N air filter
Magnaflow muffler
New crankshaft pulley
And 17" R-1 Racing Reflex wheels

all in all im happy with the car, im kinda the american muscle kinda guy but this deal seemed almost too good. im 17, turning 18 in july and this is my 3rd vehicle. i am a car junky and personally think i catch on to non-school related stuff pretty easily, i was on 3 camaro forums for over 500 posts each so its not like im completely new to cars, just the turbo thing. this summer i started helping detail cars and trucks down the street at a local detailing shop. so far all i have done to the car is practicing driving it for 1(lol) washed it, clay bared it, hit it with some finish restorer and waxed it

this summer i know i want to get the windows tinted the same as my maro 5% in back and 20% on the sides

3 inch down pipe and 3 inch pipes back to the muffler sound good to you guys or should i go smaller? is the header really worth it?(they were on my camaro), and i want to do something with the god awful looking hacked airbox with the stock intake tubing what do you guys recommend?

thanks in advance

Old 06-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Whats up

Hi, nice setup... get some pics up!

Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 AM

oh and one more question

how do i know what the boost is set at?...the guy i got it fromsaid stock it was running about 11 and now its running 16. he showed me where the control is under the hood and just said i shouldnt turn it up, not going toadjustit at all,i just want to knowHOW to tell how much psi its at cuz all it is is a little screw basically and the boost gauges in the car only go up when i get on it

Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 AM

boost gauges...YES

Old 06-10-2007, 06:31 AM

Welcome to MF, Tyler. There's plenty of folks in here to help you with your "new" car.

First thing I suggest is to plug the TT back in. Around town driving isn't always a sure thing that you won't get into boost, even if it isn't high boost. It never hurts to have the turbo timer do it's thing and circulate the hot oil out and let the "cooler" oil into the turbo's oil passage. I run around town a lot at low speeds, but I always time mine at around 40 seconds. 20 seconds of driving to your destination at no boost is fine.
I didn't see you mention a larger than stock turbo (14b) so I'll tell you that it hits boost pretty early in the RPMs if you haven't noticed already, so, that means that it's in boost almost all the time unless you granny drive it....in the end run the turbo timer, what's it going to hurt, right?
I would also suggest a turbo back exhaust. That's where you replace the piping from the turbo...back
The Greddy bov...is it recirculated back into the intake piping? If not, buy rubber tube the size of, IIRC, 1.5" diameter ribbed tubing.
The exhaust manifold that you current have is fine btw. It's matched for the 14b, although porting it is cost effective and will net minimal gains.
The first thing that everyone will tell you...or should tell you is to make sure your motor is running sound. I would just suggest going ahead and doing a full tune up since you're not the original owner...you never know.
Next follow up on Road Racing's upgrade path...
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1gupgradepath.htm
Next...
Almost everything you will need to know is on the VFAQ site...
http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html
There are also a lot of FAQs in the Eclipse FAQ section too.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forumid_227/tt.htm
There's a lot of info between those 3 links to include a better looking hacked MAF.
Lastly, again, welcome to MF. Don't be sad that your Camaro is gone because you no longer have to worry about traction...you just go These cars aren't Honduhs either, the 4g63 motor is an amazing motor. You'll see
Also, don't be worry about having a 14b turbo, they are pretty useful and have gotten folks going pretty fast. Be glad that you don't have a Garret T-25

Old 06-10-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Welcome to MF, Tyler. There's plenty of folks in here to help you with your "new" car.

First thing I suggest is to plug the TT back in. Around town driving isn't always a sure thing that you won't get into boost, even if it isn't high boost. It never hurts to have the turbo timer do it's thing and circulate the hot oil out and let the "cooler" oil into the turbo's oil passage. I run around town a lot at low speeds, but I always time mine at around 40 seconds. 20 seconds of driving to your destination at no boost is fine.
I didn't see you mention a larger than stock turbo (14b) so I'll tell you that it hits boost pretty early in the RPMs if you haven't noticed already, so, that means that it's in boost almost all the time unless you granny drive it....in the end run the turbo timer, what's it going to hurt, right?
I would also suggest a turbo back exhaust. That's where you replace the piping from the turbo...back
The Greddy bov...is it recirculated back into the intake piping? If not, buy rubber tube the size of, IIRC, 1.5" diameter ribbed tubing.
The exhaust manifold that you current have is fine btw. It's matched for the 14b, although porting it is cost effective and will net minimal gains.
The first thing that everyone will tell you...or should tell you is to make sure your motor is running sound. I would just suggest going ahead and doing a full tune up since you're not the original owner...you never know.
Next follow up on Road Racing's upgrade path...
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1gupgradepath.htm
Next...
Almost everything you will need to know is on the VFAQ site...
http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html
There are also a lot of FAQs in the Eclipse FAQ section too.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forumid_227/tt.htm
There's a lot of info between those 3 links to include a better looking hacked MAF.
Lastly, again, welcome to MF. Don't be sad that your Camaro is gone because you no longer have to worry about traction...you just go These cars aren't Honduhs either, the 4g63 motor is an amazing motor. You'll see
Also, don't be worry about having a 14b turbo, they are pretty useful and have gotten folks going pretty fast. Be glad that you don't have a Garret T-25

thanks for the info man and yes i do believe the bov is routed back to the intake, i guess ill hook that turbo timer back up too. ive read through a crap load of stuff on the VFAQ site but ill try to keep up on the research so i dont have to ask you guys too many questions