Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

95 rs turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Exclamation 95 rs turbo problems

K I installed a turbo on my 95 RS running 5psi and now IM not getting any boost over 0psi. It ran well for about a month after install, but I was driving and heard a sound like a ig push off air like some of my IC piping blew off.

I checked all the piping and it was fine. I was running a T28 but bought a new T3/T4 and still have no boost. I did recently install a new FMU cause I was just running an FPR and was told I needed an FMU not FPR and it seems I didn't have the problems till it was installed. IM always running a OBX external WG and was wondering if that could be the problem. Or am I not getting enough fuel pressure to get boost.

And oh ya, after I installed the FMU I can be driving down the road and the car dies. I can put it in neutral and restart it. But 10 minutes later it dies again.

Ment to ask if I even have the FMU hooked up right. I have it hooked up on the driver side of the car by the firewall. I have the middle nimple on the FMU running to the tank and the Top Nimple to the rail.

Last edited by import1978; 05-25-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Have you inspected the turbo? Does it spin freely? Btw fuel pressure has no affect on boost.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Ya the turbo is brand new. The old one wasn't spinning. The turbine wheel froze up so thats why I bought this new turbo. But I forgot to add, that big push of air sound I heard was the exact same sound it made twice before when some IC piping was pushed off cause I didn't have it clamped tight enough.

But I have checked every clamp and every pipe. Could something be wrong with the inside of the cooler itself? Or a bad BOV? I bought the IC from a buddy cause he got new stuff. But there was oil all in the piping and inside the cooler itself cause his oil return line was to small so oil was being pushed inside the piping. I cleaned it as much as I could. Wonder if there is still some oil in there blocking air somehow?

Last edited by import1978; 05-25-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

thaat wouldnt cause a no boost condition. You most likely have something hooked up wrong with the wastegate, or the actual wastegate is stuck. But to me it appears like major boost leak or the wastegate is not supplying the turbo with air in order to boost. Are you reading vacuum at idle? maybe the guage is hooked up wrong as well or the hose came loose for that

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Ya boost gauge reads at -20 like it always has. I took the top of the WG off to check the spring and it's good. But I haven't taking it off the manifold to check the bottom yet, which IM fixing to do. I'll check all my vac line and get back to ya.
Thanx.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Well,
I checked WG top and bottom. All my vac lines, took IC off with the piping and reinstalled it and checked all boots for wear or holes and everything looks right. This is so strange that there is no boost. A friend of mine said I might can take the vac line off my WG and if I get boost then it's the WG. Haven't tried that yet till I see what the forum thinks.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Hey I know very little about turbos but I know if theres an issue with your blow off valve itll **** up your turbo when pressure reverses during shifts and such.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 3000gt16
Hey I know very little about turbos but I know if theres an issue with your blow off valve itll **** up your turbo when pressure reverses during shifts and such.
Yup. But this is a brand new turbo. It was doing the same thing the old turbo was doing the first time I put it on the road after I installed it.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by import1978
Well,
I checked WG top and bottom. All my vac lines, took IC off with the piping and reinstalled it and checked all boots for wear or holes and everything looks right. This is so strange that there is no boost. A friend of mine said I might can take the vac line off my WG and if I get boost then it's the WG. Haven't tried that yet till I see what the forum thinks.
that may work because then it should allow the wastegate to function under the spring setting, however i am not sure what spring you have in it. But you could try that.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
that may work because then it should allow the wastegate to function under the spring setting, however i am not sure what spring you have in it. But you could try that.
Just a 5psi spring. Going to test it now.

Quick Reply: 95 rs turbo problems