Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Complete Engine Setup . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Default Complete Engine Setup . . .

I just joined this forum in hopes of some help. First off, I just bought a Mitsubishi Eclipse RS online and it pretty much has all the looks right now. It seriously looks like a Fast & the Furious car, however it doesn't nearly have the power. Thats what I needed some advice on. Here are my plans for the car in the upcoming year or two:

1. Engine Swap, I have heard of a 4G63 engine being the best available
2. Supercharged w/Turbo
3. All wheel drive conversion, currently front wheel drive only.
4. Manual/Automatic Transmission conversion currently only Automatic.
5. Any other engine modifications to make it FAST.
6. Lambo Doors & some more Interior work

My budget is expected anywhere from 15 - 25 Thousand dollars when finished. So tell me EVERY last detail you think I should do to make this car move.

I'm not that expirienced with engines and tuning, I'm 19 and I work for a chemical company called Brenntag managing their computer systems, however I am no geek, lol. Far from it. So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Complete Engine Setup . . .

you cant swap the Turbo motor into your car. it is turbo only no supercharger. you cant do AWD conversion into your car etiher.

all you can do is pull your 420A motor out built it up and turbo charge that

Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 PM

There is a route I could take with my answer that would make you hate me, so I won't do that. I will tell you the story of my life in dsms.

I bought a 95 N/A Eclipse about 3 years ago. I loved it from the second I bought it until the day I sold it (2 months ago). I never, EVER cared about speed much more than your average 10 over speeding, yadda yadda. Next thing I knew, I was at my buddies house who owns a TT Nissan 300zx. He took me for a ride and I almost crapped my pants. It was at that moment that I was in your position.

I was talking about slapping on a turbo, etc. Now, I wasn't so extreme to say I wanted to do an AWD conversion, because as Emonz said, yea... don't even think about it. After 6 months of loving my car, I wanted to love it more. I wanted it to be fast, sweet and I wanted people to think I was something. Yea, that basically describes your position perfectly.

Anyhow, to speed this story up, I posted on so many dsm sites hoping someone would give me the answer I wanted to hear but no, everyone told me what I am going to tell you:

Take the money that you plan to put into your car, slap yourself in the face with it, then put it in the bank. Save it and add to it until you have about 8-10k. Sell your car, wave goodbye to those sweet f&f graphics, wings, whatever else it has that makes it look how you like and say hello to a lot easier route to success.

Once you get close to your goal, start looking on autotrader, ebay, everything. Don't settle for second best. I didn't. I looked for a 98-99 AWD MINT low mileage dsm for 4 months until I found the one I own now. Bought it with 62k miles on it, it's a 98 AWD. I am not going to talk about how much I paid, but it's in that range that I have told you to save up to.

You will have your car that you will actually be able to do something with. I am not going to be the last one to say this, so get used to it:

Sell your car unless you plan to go slow.

I am VERY aware of the many, many people that turbo charge a 420a and I respect every one of them but you, my friend, do not sound like the mechanical type, the type to slap a turbo on a 420a motor. Sorry.

I do not expect you to listen to me. It took me many many many months of people telling me to sell my car before I actually did it. I know you can't go back in time, but it's not smart to buy a car and immediately want to do impossible things with it (e.g. awd conversion). It's a sure bet you won't have your n/a car for long with the way your talking.

Hope this helped but I know it probably just pissed you off. I know it pissed me off back when I was sporting my 95 NA. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

^^^best advice you can get. Very well put echostats

Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 AM

I would like to first say Thanks. No that's not really what I wanted to hear by any means, being that I always wanted to have a fast car, but one that made people look twice also. I hear everything your saying and believe it or not I was talking with some friends the other night about all of this and thought about possibly saving up to buy a Supra, and yes I know they're expensive. Wont be for awhile, lol.

I guess I've just seen a few suped up eclipses on streetfire.net and figured I could do the same to mine. Do you think a 3000 GT would be a good car to supe up? I know I sound like a kid when I say I want a car like I've seen on Fast and The Furious, but that orange 3000 GT off Tokyo Drift looked Badass! Now I could do that, lol.

Alright, we've established the idea to pass on my current eclipse, I would like to everyone now to share their opinions with what cars have what potential. And I guess I mean when I say that, "What are the benifits from one car to the other?"

Just out of curiosity, why can't my car be upgraded, or converted? Not that I'm going to do that, but I was just curious.

Thanks echostats, I really appreciate the honest straight forward answers. Even though it wasn't what I expected I'm glad everyone is steering me in the right direction. So throw some ideas my way now so hopefully I can start looking at what I need to get.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:21 PM

save for a slightly used EVO... in a short amount of time youll be seeing them in the 14k range. I already see a few guys selling for under 18k.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 PM

Here is a list of what has been done to my car already, some of which I added

Engine: 4 CYLINDER 2.0 LITER DOHC Tranny: Automatic Exterior: Red Interior: Gray

Kelly Blue Book Value – $3,575
[ol][*]- Apex N1 Catback Exhaust ($520.00)[*]- Magna-Flow Cat ($650.00)[*]- Greddy 4-1 Header ($500.00)[*]- Vibrant Cold Air Intake ($100.00)[*]- Bomex Front Bumper; Blitz Combat Rear Bumper; Blitz Side Skirts (molded to the[*] body) ($500)[*]- White Mesh inserted into Bumpers, Side Skirts, and Hood ($40.00)[*]- Vis Carbon Fiber Hood ($750.00)[*]- Triple Gauge Pod w/ Fuel Air Mixture, Oil Pressure, & Volts ($125.00)[*]- Drag 18" Rims (white in color) ($450.00)[*]- Projector Headlights (w/ blue angle eyes) ($170.00)[*]- 2 1157 Black Light Turn Signal Bulbs (20 LED Each) *Eye Catcher* ($60.00)[*]- Mazda 3 Red Paint ($2,000.00)[*]- Nankane Tires 215/35R18 ($600.00)[*]- Koni Shocks ($200.00)[*]- Skunk 2 Coil Overs ($260.00)[*]- XENON HID CONVERSION KIT (White/Blue headlights) (340.00)[*]- Reverse Glow Gaudges ($65.00)[*]- Red Underglow Kit ($70.00)[*]- G2 Altezza Tail Lights ($180.00)[*]- 6 Bright Red (24 LED Each) 1157 TURN/BRAKE Light Bulbs ($65.00)[*]- Sequential Tail lights (Blinks in sequnce toward your turn) ($90.00)[*]- Smoked Side Bumper lights w/2 Black Light UV Bulbs (6 LED Each) ($50.00)[*]- 13 inch EuroStyle Antenna ($40.00)[*]- Custom Eclipse brushed Aluminum Gauge Bezel ($30.00)[/ol] Police Countermeasures [ol][*]- V1 Valentine One Radar Detector (Latest Model) ($400.00)[*]- Blinder M40 Laser Jammer ($600.00)[/ol][align=left] [/align] Total Invested: $8855.00

Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Well the reason for not being able to swap in another engine is this. You want to put a 4g63 (turbo engine) into the GS/RS which you cant do without alot of metal fabrication and skill and money. So thats ruled out. The next thing to make it fast would be a turbo kit for the car. Now this is an option that alot of people have done before, but it also takes alot of money. Becuase you need to build up the internals, and all the supporting mods for it (fuel, guages, tuning device, ect.) So you could do this but then you would spend about another 4k on your car to do it. Which money wise its more feasible to go and just buy a stock GST or GSX and you then have a much more reliable motor than the 420a thats in the GS/RS.

So IMHO i would save up your money now and do your research on what car you want to buy. If you only want to spend like echostats stated (around 10k) then a lowmileage turbo 2g is a good choice. If you want to save for a downpayment on a more expensivecar, then an evo is a really good choice. I have driven both and ill tell you that the EVO by far outperforms the eclipse's. But its all on how long you wait and how much you save.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Wi_Fibre

Thanks echostats, I really appreciate the honest straight forward answers.
Not a problem. I would suggest either an evo, because they are fast out of the gate. Or buy an AWD 2g. That's just personal preference. I would personally steer clear of the 3000s because they are a bitch to work on.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM

I can't believe you guys convinced me so quickly, well here it is,
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_105323.../tm.htm#105323

Quick Reply: Complete Engine Setup . . .