Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

help me please, newbee

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Default help me please, newbee

I own a 97 eclipse turbo 2.4 liter dohc engine type 4g63.

My son ran the car out of oil and the engine needs to be replaced. I purchased an engine from JDM and had it delivered to a repair shop 250 miles from my home (thats where the car broke down). The engine came from JDM with the turbo included. Now the repair guy claims I need to buy a new turbo as the one that came from JDM will not fit. I know nothing about cars, turbo or otherwise. Can anyone give me some advice; are there more than one turbo design for this engine?? According to the dealership I talked with there should be no problem putting in a different turbo and that the guy im dealing with at the repair shop doesnt know what he is doing. The turbo will cost me as much as the engine and I dont know what to do.

Thanks for anyone with experience in this area.

Earl Otte

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: help me please, newbee

wow i forsee a big issue with this mess. First off the "JDM" thing im not sure where you ordered it from since all jdm means is its from japan (japanese domestic market). So im guessing maybe ebay or something. But also you dont have a 2.4L you have a 2.0L. And yes there are two different types of turbochargers that came with the 4g63 stock. The one that came with yours is the T25. And then they also had one in the 90-94 eclipses which was the 14b. However both of these turbos will work with your car. The only thing you need to make the 14b fit in the 2g setup is a j pipe shown here
http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/pro...=87&page=1so that the turbo outlet connects to the intercooler piping. other than that it will work. Also you could just use the turbo that was on your sons car. That will bolt up to the new engine as well

Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM

wow, thanks so much for the quick response. just got off the phone with my mechanic and he said the problem was the routing of what he called the "cooler". looks like the engine i got from JDM engine corp. had a different routing, from the top rather from the side?? sound familiar?? hoping the pipe you gave me the pic on will do the trick.

the mechanic said that since my boy ran the car out of oil that the stock turbo would probably be shot and he came back and determined somehow that is was. Thats the reason for all this.

at the front of your very kind message you say that is sounds like a big mess and that I will have issues. can you elaborate??

Thanks again

Earl

Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Ya, your turbo is fed by an oil line, and if there wasnt any oil in the car at all, your turbo would have been runing dry. So it wouldnt be a bad idea to put a new turbo on.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM

My mechanic is having a terrible time getting the new engine to work in the car. He did send me 2 pictures showing the problem. Can anyone give some advice on how to get the turbo from the new engine to fit in the car.

The mechanic sent the following message to me :

"The original motor from your sons car has the intake turbo pipe on the bottom of the turbo. I need to have a pipe that will allow the hoses for the turbo to attach on the bottom of the turbo".

He has been in contact with the company rep from the link the Engineer sent me and this rep doesnt know how to get it to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Earl

[IMG]local://upfiles/15235/54FBBFA7BFAA43D2AF8CD4CB5D99D1D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15235/3675C08229E54ED39EEF62DE9419B890.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Ok you definetly have either a 14b or a 16g which like i said before and the link i gave you, all you need is the J-pipe to make it come back down to the lower intercooler pipe. You see in the second picture of the junkyard engine the pipe comming off the turbo and going up, thats supposed to go down sort of curling over the turbo like this
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/2G-16G-2.html
see the very first picture how the pipe goes over the turbo, thats your j-pipe which connects to the lower IC piping. I think thats what your mechanic is having trouble with

Cuz if you look in the pic of the original engine the pipe is already facing down, the j-pipe routes it to connect right in the same location. Hope this helps

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Is there any way my mechanic can get ahold of you as you seem to know alot more that he does?? I would definitiely make it worth your while.

Also, did the engine company send me the wrong engine or did I give them the wrong info?? They claim that the engine is correct.

Earl

Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

How many bolts are on the flywheel?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

well its not the exact year of your engine, but it looks like a 4g63 to me. I dont see a problem with getting that bolted in there. Even if its a 6 bolt instead of a 7 bolt because you have the entire engine. But from what your telling me it appears that the mechanic is only having a problem with that one simple pipe. Hopefully thats it

Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Uuh... in theory there would be a couple more problems if it was in fact a6 bolt. Right?

Def a 4G63 though.

Quick Reply: help me please, newbee