Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Install of a BOV

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Default Install of a BOV

Hey, so Ive got this Volvo, that is without a BOV... its got some other device to relieve itself of excess pressure that REALLLLLYYY bogs the hell out of the car when used... BUT, a BOV CAN be installed to it... Unfortunatly, it needs to be welded to the UIP... any ideas (preferably close to Annapolis MD) on who can install such an item?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Default RE: Install of a BOV

You can take the UICP to any shop that welds bud. It should cost any more than $45...it shouldn't....You'll just need the flange to match the bov/dv type item.
I take it the part is called a diverter valve then...or whatever else it's called.?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Ive got the following... some metal tube looking deal... what appears to be a rubber version of the same thing... the BOV itself and a long rubbery tube that is to connect to the diverter or something on the turbo housing itself... all it needs to do is be welded on?

Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Ok, well, that's a little more complex than I originally imagined, lol. Do you have a pic of said piping and relief valve?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Heres the info I could find... dont really know if this helps.
All Volvo's that are turbocharged come with a CBV (Compressor Bypass Valve). This kind of acts like a BOV. However instead of venting the excess boost to the atmosphere it vents it back into the intake track.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 AM

so it is a DV that is recired is all it sounds like to me

Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Which means thats prolly what it is. Being of the technical sort your opinion means a lot more than my guesses, lol. In which case, how do I go about this install, Emonz? Silver? TE?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Compressor bypass valve (CBV) In the CBV case, pressurised air is returned to the turbo compressor inlet for reuse. The valve is open under engine vacuum conditions, and closes firmly when positive (boost) pressure is present in the inlet manifold (or plenum chamber). As you change gear a sudden vacuum condition is created and the valve opens again, directing pressurised air back to the turbo inlet. A CBV is used with Bosch K and LH-Jet injection, as being a closed system, any loss of air for which fuel has already been metered by the movement of the airflow sensor plate, will result in an over-rich condition and possible backfire. A CBV is found on many OEM original engine manufactured EFI turbo systems.
So in other words, you possibly have a leaking CBV. Which you already know, lol. I just like creating long posts for typing practice, lmao.
Replacement Diaphragms for CBV. Various turbo rebuilders carry the diaphragm repair kits for reasonable prices. Check Rick Banas at D&W Diesel (r.banas@dwdiesel.com) at 800-824-0151 for Mitsu diaphragms and some Garretts. Mitsu made several types and the year of the car manufacture mattered. Says he sells a lot of them, below retail, but its still pricey.
BTW, this is why I never understood the 4g63s relief valve being called a bov..it obviously does not work the way it's name states. The 4g63s turbo system is a closed loop system too.
Blow-off valve (BOV) / Dump Valve / Vent valve This valve type features an adjustable spring design (spring in compression) to keep the valve closed under idle, cruise and boost conditions (eg 0.5 bar). Sudden throttle lift-off (eg 0.8 bar) opens the valve to vent the pressurised air directly to atmosphere (and wooshtssh). Not used with Bosch LH-Jet.
Sorry about my erratic thinking, but here's the meat of this post, lol.

Is this your T25? If so, this one has the CBV mounted on it. If that's what you have, you'll need that one, lol. Get the replacement diaphram for it or replace the entire turbo and replace the relief valve setup (like Mitsus). If you have a Mitsu turbo

It's going to be the same.

Now, the way the turbo, themselves, are set up, I don't see it being an issue to remove the CBV and weld the hole shut and relocate the CBV, just like the 4g63s are.
To keep it simple, just replace the diaphram bro.

..sorry if this was a confusing, hard to follow post. I've got scatter brain thoughts at the moment, lol.

Here's where I found most of this info btw.. http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineTurbo.html
Here's the home page of that FAQ site.. http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/hmc/hmc_faq.shtml

Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Holy ****, Silver, everything I needed to know in ONE post... damn, thanks!
For the record, I too (since I found the existance of CBVs)have questioned why Mitsu calls it a BOV when it clearly is not... its a closed system and returns the air.