Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo or no turbo. that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned
Default RE: turbo or no turbo. that is the question?

lol what? THey only put the 7 bolt in the 95+... right?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

lol what? THey only put the 7 bolt in the 95+... right?
nope the 7bolt started 92.5-99 from 90-92 they were 6 bolts and about half threw 1992 they started 7bolts

Old 05-14-2006, 06:07 AM

thought the spyder came with the 4g64 2.4L N/T and the gs-t spyder came with 4g63 2.0T

Old 05-14-2006, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

I forgot you dont know a whole hell of alot so im going to break it down for you. The 4G63 engine is in the evo and the turbo eclipses and the talon. These are known as DSM's (Diamond star motors). You should be very carefull with the engine you pick up if you chose to do it and if you ask me its a whole hell of alot better and will be cheaper. There are 2 types of 4G63 from the eclipse/talon. One is called the 7 bolt because of the number of bolts it takes to bolt on the flywheel. There was one problem with the 7 bolt and that is that the crank wasnt chemically hardend so its basically solft as butter and thats how crankwalk develops. Now its not all bad because the 6 bolt (found in older model eclipses and talons before 95. This 6 bolt crank is made from a much harder metal and i dont think it ever develops crankwalk. If you dont know what crankwalk is dont worry...all you have to know is it spells BIG trouble and you want to avoid it lol. Not all 7 bolts get crankwalk. I have a 2g with over 75k on it and it runs great. So i hope you understand a little better now. So conclusion: Stay away from the 420a... 4G63 (6 bolt) all the way!!!
Okay so mitsu took the 7 bolt 4g63, changed the crank/bearings/rods, made a new cyl head for it, and called it the evo motor, which I see you hold in high regard.

Chyysler took the 420a, forged the rods and pistons, and extended the block an inch and threw the A855 head on and called it the srt-4 motor. The engineering and desigine is the same, the specs are different... kinda like the evo motor. Wow you were right the 420a wasent ment for boost, but same could be said how the 4g63 wasent ment to make power.

Dsm was disolved in 94, technically any car after 94 isant a dsm. Crank walk is not as common in 7 bolts as one may think. It mostly happens to later year spyders. And their are ways to prevent crank walk. Like not holding down the clutch for extended peroids of time, like when sitting at a light.

To stick a 4g63 in a 420a is about easy as sticking a v6 in it. Soo much has to be fabercated that its not really worth the cost.

I recomend that you read some of the stickys that we have for the noobs before you state incorrect information and other have to go behind you and correct your statments.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM

I have bought a brand new turbonetics turbocharger and a greddy stage II intercooler for my 420a engine, i was wondering, if i were just to put the turbo and intercooler on, and keep it on 8 psi, will the engine deteriate after a while or could i set it lower then that to save the engine. My boy said he would put it on the turbo for mad cheap but he doesn't know if the motor could stand up to it. Now he told me when he does it, install a manual boost controller and keep it around 5-8 psi and thats it, if more you are definitely going to blow the engine. But, i might keep it and save for the engine build up i don't know, due to the current situation i am in. I found after the accident i had with my vehicle that the frame in the back could be bent and the mechanic i talked to said its not worth putting more into the car, just change the belts and general maintaince if i want to keep the car.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: player69x

those so called people lied. i use to hear just swap your motor for a gst motor all the time on the street , until i actually did some research.
yup people who know nothing about DSMs and mitsus will tell you that. The car isnt a honda where every motor can be swapped with each other lol. Main reason why is the 420a is a Chrystler\Dodge motor not a mitsu motor the 4G63 is a mitsu motor
Not to give honda any credit, but almost all bmw engines can be swapped fairley easily.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: TCossuto

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: player69x

those so called people lied. i use to hear just swap your motor for a gst motor all the time on the street , until i actually did some research.
yup people who know nothing about DSMs and mitsus will tell you that. The car isnt a honda where every motor can be swapped with each other lol. Main reason why is the 420a is a Chrystler\Dodge motor not a mitsu motor the 4G63 is a mitsu motor
Not to give honda any credit, but almost all bmw engines can be swapped fairley easily.
never seen that, since BMW is mainly RWD and Hondas are FWD that means alot of work not and easy swap

Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragonslayer

I have bought a brand new turbonetics turbocharger and a greddy stage II intercooler for my 420a engine, i was wondering, if i were just to put the turbo and intercooler on, and keep it on 8 psi, will the engine deteriate after a while or could i set it lower then that to save the engine. My boy said he would put it on the turbo for mad cheap but he doesn't know if the motor could stand up to it. Now he told me when he does it, install a manual boost controller and keep it around 5-8 psi and thats it, if more you are definitely going to blow the engine. But, i might keep it and save for the engine build up i don't know, due to the current situation i am in. I found after the accident i had with my vehicle that the frame in the back could be bent and the mechanic i talked to said its not worth putting more into the car, just change the belts and general maintaince if i want to keep the car.
Dont let "your boy" touch your damn car becuse he obviously has no damn clue what he is talking about.

First off you need a kit, not just a turbo and an intercooler. Besides what you have you need: an exaust manifold, down pipe, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, fmu or sfmu, fuel pump, bov, spark plugs, oil feed lines, oil return lines, and a fcd for you car not to blow up. On top of all of that your going to need new gaskets and I can promess your going to break a couple of things. The 420a can hold 8psi like its ment for it. Let your boy know that your psi is rated by the strength of the waste gate actuator spring, and that a check valve or manual boost controler when open raises the psi, but when close goes back to the psi that the WGA spring is set at. In simple terms a manual boost controler can lower the boost pressure only raise it. So to your question, if you turbo is set over 8psi(chances are it is, because you didnt buy a kit for a 420a) then you have a turbo that you cant safely use.

For the bent frame, if your driving and take your hand off the wheel and the car inheritly swerves to one side then you have a problem.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM

thanks for the reply, i will probably just hold onto the turbo and intercooler for awhile thinking what i should do, also, i aligned the vehicle and it doens't swerve to one side anymore, but he said that it took him awhile to align it, he says he is hopeful if it stays aligned.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM

If I was you and you don't wanna sell the car to get the GST or GSX just sell the turbo and stuff you have now. Go to hahn's website

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/auto/eclipse/eclipse.htm

they have complete turbo kits for your car, plus you can call and email them any questions or worries you have. The guys there are great and have been helping me get my engine ready to put on their turbo kit, cause there is several things you want to check before you put on a turbo kit to make sure your engine is in good shape.

Quick Reply: turbo or no turbo. that is the question?