Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2jz

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Default 2jz

Yes i know toyota motor, bad to post here but hey its off topic, anyways i was wondering if the 2jzge engine is just as strong and worth while and the 2jzgte engine, yes i know different internals (pistons rods etc) different compression, and i know the GTE has oil squirters in it. But is the block and head similar on both? (figured the intake and exhaust manifold are different) and can the GE motor hold up to the same power and punishment as the GTE?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM

The GE motor is strong. Pistons are the only difference to the bottom end. It is not as strong as teh GTE but it is still strong. The block is the same. The head is different. OBv the exhaust and intake manis are very different.

All that asside it wont fit in an Eclipse, lol

Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 AM

lol im not looking to shove one in an eclipse thanks anyways though, just trying to get an idea for the next possible car and i seem to be able to find supra's alot easier than vr4's and evo 9's, but do both the ge and gte block have oil squirters in them though?

P.S. there is a video on youtube of a big block chevy motor in a 2g eclipse though just type in v8 eclipse

Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM

No they do not have the same oil squirters. The GTE is the better motor. The GE is still a very good motor, however if you are looking to buy a supra and you want to make power and be reliable stick with a GTE stock TT car. Buying an NA and turboing or swapping motors is ALOT of work and hassle. The TT is COP the NA uses a distributor. The TT cars are worth paying the extra $ for.

I have my TT 6 speed for sale (loosely) Asking $23k with only 92k miles on it.

As for the 2G V8 I am sure it has been done. There is a Evo9 with and LS1 in it too. It doesnt mean the average person will be able to do it, and it doesnt make it a practicle choice at all, lol I was only saying the 2J wont fit because without alot of $ time and work it wont and to be honest over the past few years I have had the asked a handful of times.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

23k aint to bad compared to what ive seen them go for, what year is it? and also is there a difference between the years for the mk4 like electronics or mechnically? or cosmetic? revised head/tail lamps or anything like that. kind of seems like an ls1 swap evo is kind of a waste but i suppose if your gonna make it rwd go all out? But as of right now im trying to find my next car, im thinking, evo, supra, or vr4, i can find supra's all day, evo's i rarely come by them and when i do its not the 9 and as for vr4's the only ones i find are the flip up headlamps and im not a fan of those lol, im just looking for a out of the box decently fast car with some basic mods for now (intake, exhaust, suspension if that) but so far thanks for the info Emonz your definitely one of the most helpful people on this website, keep up the good work lol

And as far as being asked about a 2jz in the eclipse's you know how kids are, they think if you throw enough money at it from mommy and daddy you can do anything lol

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM

It doesn;t make any scence that you can find Supras but not Evos. Evos are mass produced and Supras are very very rare. Only about 14,000 total made it to the US.

As far as the years 93.5-98 are all the same. The motor and tranny is the same. The seats are slightly different The 97-98s uses thinner leather and had a built in headrest the 93-96 had a removeable headrest and thicker leather. The 97-98s 6speed shifter is taller with a longer throw, the dash panels in the 97-98 are uncoated grey the 93-96 were rubber coated black. 93-95 offered the TT in hardtop or Targa (hartop being very very very rare) after 96-98 only NAs had the option for hardtop. 96 TT only came in auto.

Cosmetically the 93-96 have chrome housing headlights and hte 97-98 had black housing with the chrome rings around each bulb. The 93-96 taillights were a black sunken housing and the 97-98s had grey with a more flush housing. The 97-98s had a Grill insert that ran across the mouth of hte front bumper.

Other than that stuff which is all minor all years had the same exact power output other than the 96+ having the OBDII ECU which had a slightly more rich tune between 4500-5500 RPMS

NOW on to the Evos. Why do you NEED a IX? My last car was an Evo that I did a big turbo, cams ect ect. the new owner is making 505AWHP on it. The Evo VIII is no worse than the IX esspecailly the 2005 Evo. The MIVEC is overrated if you ever plan to do cams it makes the mivec virtually usless anyway and 95% of people modding Evos do cams after exhaust and IC piping

Last edited by EMonz57; 07-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM

hmm i like idea of the black taillights on the newer supra and as far as finding the evo's i just cant find them anywhere for sale (evo 10's are all over the place) for example autotrader, almost no evo's when i look for them where as the supras i can find them for sale online almost everywhere, they even have a website dedicated to selling and buying supra's, and as far as my preference for the IX model evo its mostly cosmetic the black tail lamps rather than the chrome ones, that and the front bumper on the IX i think looks much better, and i wasnt to worried about the mivec thing, but i just figured newer evo probably has some extra goodies that the evo IIX didn't have? bigger pipes/turbo/intercooler etc. Or am i wrong cause id really like to know the difference between the 8 and 9 other than mivec and cosmetics (also the SAYC was that in the 8 or 9? or was that just a jdm thing curious about that as well)

Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Also I apologize for my horrible punctuation, spelling, and grammar. I tend to forget and am some what lazy when it comes to forum typing.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:56 PM

The Evo 8 and Evo 9 are exactly the same car. Here is the break down quickly (US only)S-YAW was only UK and Jspec

2003 Evo was offered in one trim only (these Evos had no from LSD and did not have ACD (active center diff)

2004 Evo was offered in 2 trims. RS and GSR / GSR SSL. The GSR is exactly the same as 2003, Except SSL Offered leather interior and a subwoofer. The RS was a stripped version of the car with no power option Some with no A/C all RS models have a front LSD and alluminum roof. All trims had 17inch enkei wheels and 5speed only tranny the GSR's all had HID headlights and foglights built in The RS did not

2005 Evo was offered in 3 trims. 2005 was the best year for the VIII Evo. BEcause all options offered ACD and Front LSD's, 05 the turbo got a bigger hotside which made the car slightly faster (this is known as the 10.5T hotside, the 2003-2004 are known as the 9.8T hotside) the trim levels were all very different The RS was the same as 04 but added ACD the GSR was no longer offered with HIDs and sunroof unless you had the SSL package (sun sound leather). The highest trim level is the MR (mitsu racing) The MR has the alluminum roof as well it comes with HID and fogs instead of the 5 speed it has a 6 speed (which is unreliable). THe MR has Bilstien shocks which make a softer ride and instead of Enkei wheels the MR gets lighter BBS wheels

In 2006 the Evo changed to the IX for one year only the IX was available (in the US) The IX cam in RS GSR GSR/SSL and MR Trims and then the SE option was offered half way threw 2006. All trims are exactly the same as 2005 trims. The changes for the IX were a bigger turbo housing (again makes slightly more power and easy upgrade for anyone with a VIII) The MIVEC was offered for the first time which makes more Tq. The IX got a new front bumper (easy swap on the VIII) and black housing headlights and tails (easy swaps again) The IX got revised recaros which are nicer looking. Instead of black and blue they changed to black and grey leather and suede combo. Instead of the silver brushed alloy momo steering wheel the IX was all black. The dash trim was changed from flat grey to black of carbon fiber (kinda cheezy). Instead of a FULL carbon fiber wing on the IX is only CF on the blade.

The IX SE has all of the options of the MR except the 6 speed tranny. It is considered the highest disiered Evo offered. They also add a aero front lip and red stictching on the interior( which is the nicest interior offered IMO)

As far as stock 1/4 times the go as follows

03-04 GSR : 13.8-14.0
04 RS: 13.6ish
05 RS: 13.2
05 GSR: 13.3
05 MR: 13.4
06 RS: 12.8
06 GSR: 13.0
06 MR 13.2

These are round about times. Remember the IX turbo is a very easy mod on the older Evos. Then again most people run bigger turbos than that when upgrading.

Evos are alot more common than supras. Try EvolutionM.net to find Evo owners selling there cars.

Price ranges the 03s are the cheapest by FAR

2003s range from $11-$17k (ususally)
2004s range is about the same
2005s range from $16-$21k
2006s range from $19-$27k

So you can buy an 03 and with the extra $10k have a 11 second car easily and still have the $ left over to swap on the front bumper and IX heads and tails (most VIII guys do this swap) Mine was an 03 and it was very fun and modded the car was very fast

Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Very good info once again, so the IX SE was the most desirable huh, so basically stay away from the mr and its 6 speed tranny then i take it? but i would at least want ACD along with the limited slip so honestly the 05 evo 8 is lookin pretty good right now,did all evo models come with aluminum roofs or just the MR because honestly other than the transmission the mr seems like the better of all the models is a 5 speed evo tranny swap possible or more or less feasible?

Quick Reply: 2jz