Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2jz

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Went to EvolutionM.net, seems like a great website with lots of information, but unfortunately im getting the same problem, none in my area (just the newer evo's no 8's or 9's) i live in Indianapolis right now (for Lincoln tech automotive school) its like there are none or no one is selling them, kind of depressing.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

the MR is not worth the money for what you get IMO.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Alot of people swap the 5speed into the MR. The alluminum roof is only on the MR SE and RS models. Honestly the MR is overpriced for what you get, considering with the $ saved if you buy a GSR instead you can swap bilstien shocks and do some power mods.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Buy a car far away and make an awsome road trip

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM

awesome road trip lol, i'd love to, but im not sure my turd of an RS eclipse would make it

Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM

Do it the same way all of us Supra owners do. Find you car you really want. Fly out to check it out with the $ if you want to buy it. If you buy it drive it home and have a blast. Alot of supra owners buy there cars from accross country and make a 3-4 day road trip. I bought my in NH I live in MA so it was only about 2 hours away so mine trip was not far

Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Sounds like a good plan, but if i buy one in cali, i dont think id want to drive it all the way back here (seeing as i would have just gotten it, dont wanna be to rough on it) i might just have one of my buddies with his cummins and trailer drive out there and trailer it back, after i drive it for a few miles though of course lol, still debating though, supra, vr4, or evo. but thanks so far for all the information about the cars

Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by KaiserEclipse
Sounds like a good plan, but if i buy one in cali, i dont think id want to drive it all the way back here (seeing as i would have just gotten it, dont wanna be to rough on it) i might just have one of my buddies with his cummins and trailer drive out there and trailer it back, after i drive it for a few miles though of course lol, still debating though, supra, vr4, or evo. but thanks so far for all the information about the cars
I would avoid the VR4. They can be very very very hard to work on. Hard to get big HP from and they tend to be somewhat unreliable in comparison to the Supra and Evo

Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Unreliable huh well im sure I'll be flamed for this or whatever but isn't the vr4 technically a dsm (i know eclipse's and talon') but they way i see it there's a dodge (labeled) counterpart and I've learned the hard way of how unreliable they tend to be. so i suppose i should stick to the evo or supra, they both have timeless looks and are booth legends and can make big horsepower, but i want street able huge horsepower with moderate gas mileage (better than 15 mpg) and unfortunately im leaning towards the inline 6 supra.. legendary motor in both and from what im told both accept mods well but i still cant decide, RWD or AWD as far as i can tell is gonna be the deciding factor that and price of parts for them

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM

It is not a DSM technically. The issues with them mostly come in the form of spun bearings. A good friend has a Stealth TT (Same as the VR4) it is a 91 so it has the 1st gen body and motor and tranny (5 speed). The stock motor spun a bearing so he swapped into the 2gen motor and tranny (6 speed) which is known to be a better motor and within a few thousand miles the 95 motor spun a bearing. Other than that they are good cars but very expensive to mod and very annoying and hard to work on. WHen you compair to working on an Evo and supra the VR4 is just too much of a pain in the ***. THe only hard thing on an Evo is dealing with clutch changes. Everything else is easy. The supra I am not sure of but I guess removing the stock twins is the most annoying thing to do on them.

As far as the Evo vs Supra thing. It depends on you. First thing is first what is the highest HP car you have driven? Because a 400WHP Evo is scary fast. each of these cars has different power levels I would stay at for the street.

For example, The Evo is best setup for 400-500WHP. They get more and more annoying to drive the higher the # goes and the more you need to do drivetrain work. The Supra is best setup for 500-650 street HP. If you want more than 500 on an Evo you need a built motor or you are on borrowed time. The supra you can put 700-800HP on without doing a thing to the internals or tranny (clutch thats it, unless you are auto)

Cost of parts is hard to judge. The supra has 2 more cyls. So it will require more parts( I.E. injectors, spark plugs, pistons rods, ect ect.)

To make a stock supra 400HP all you will need is about $700. To make and Evo 400HP you will need around $5k.

Advise from a person who has owned both for around 3 years. The Supra is a better car if you want a sunday driver, just a car to hop into and drive. You don't need to go fast to enjoy this car. The Evo is a better car to Daily drive. Its really only the most fun to drive when you are ruining corners and redlineing the RPMS. Highway driving in an Evo SUCKSSSSSSSSSS. Highway driving in the supra is amazing (it is known as a highway king) small bendy roads in the supra are fun but in an Evo they are rediculous fun.

Both cars are very fun with just bolt on mods. So don't get to far ahead of yourself saying you need huge HP because I used to think that way. Then I modded my Evo ALOT and it was not as fun to drive. It was fast but it was rough, and annoying loud like a honda. The supra I have only put on bolt ons, and I can tell you with simple bolt ons and some race gas this car FLIES. I had to buy drag radials because with the race gas on my 295 rear street tires I would get no traction at all in 2nd gear. Getting on the highway and going sideways is scary. With the DRs they car hooks perfect completely. People even pull off similar 60fts with DRs and bolt ons as Evos do which is pretty good.

Last edited by EMonz57; 07-30-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2jz