Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

beaters bringing in the trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Default beaters bringing in the trouble

idk if everyone knows, but i bought a geo prizm just for the winter so i can work on the eclispe (have gotten nowhere so far due to money issues) but it has no exhaust, it goes to the cat. and just rusted off there. so i bought a nearly BRAND NEW exhaust from a junkyard for $10that they actualy already removed and set in the car cuz it was brand new, i inspected it and everything and its PERFECT. but its only from the cat back. and since i recieved a $165 ticket a week ago from exhaust i needed to put this on. well, i put it on and the damn thing has a giant hole in the flex tube right befor the cat. i went through 2 days cutting and drilling out screws in this damn thing to get the new one on. and its still loud as ****. i dont need another ticket cuz then it would bring more money in tickets then i payed for the car ($350 for the car). so i guess what im asking is, is there an easy way to fix this? i heard of cutting a coffee can and just welding it over the crack but idk if i wanna do that, seems like it would be easier to just replace it. help is needed asap cuz i realy cant afford another ticket, i even had to have my mommy fill my gas tank today... haha

Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Default RE: beaters bringing in the trouble

you can buy new flex pieces. just go to an exhaust shop with it off the car, and they will probably put one on for you for less than 20 bucks

Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

^^exactly. Its a real simple job for someone to do. All they do is cut the old one off and weld a new one right in place

Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

I paid $25 I think for my flex pipe. Then I welded it in myself (Had to take it to a local muffler shop to flange the end out so it would slip over the existing system). But it shouldn't be very expensive to have it done. And can't you get out of paying tickets for defects if you fix them before the court date?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:19 AM

never heard of that, but maybe i can. i bought the flex **** today for $8 and i got 2 clamps to try to hold it on. i dont have the suplies to weld and dont wanna pay someone else to do it. if i screw the clamp in as tight as possible and put exhaust crack sealer around the ends, do you think it will be fine? im gunna do it tomorrow morning.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

I paid $25 I think for my flex pipe. Then I welded it in myself (Had to take it to a local muffler shop to flange the end out so it would slip over the existing system). But it shouldn't be very expensive to have it done. And can't you get out of paying tickets for defects if you fix them before the court date?
i know in Ny as long as you get the problem fixed befor your court date you can be let off...

Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 AM

it really wont cost much at all for someone to weld it on there the right way. Clamps are always ehhhhh

Old 01-21-2007, 02:21 PM

quieter than its ever been. but still louder than normal. idk.... if i get another ticket im gunna blow that piece up.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 AM

Tie wire the coffee can that is big enough but not too big to double over itself,in place if it is an area that is straight, and tie the wire tight by twisting the endsusing 12 ga ceiling wire or double up rebar tie wire. This should suffice until you have the funds to do it right. This does work for quick patches.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM

ok.... NEW PROBLEM... lol... well i was driving it and i went home and got a video i had to return to the video store. so i went to the store. and i turned the car off and went inside to drop the video off. gone fora bout 20 sec, and come back and a car that dont even turn over... my dad says battary is dead, friend says, starter went out. i say, you both wrong, cuz i know the starter is working and bat isnt dead cuz i can turn lights on and turn key and they dont even dim. soi went back, put a lil oil in to bring it up to full, (note that it wasnt under the low line though) ,then we went to his house for an hour or so, andthen we went back and we push it home with my friends beeter, yea bumper to bumper haha, his car pushed it i should say. and after we got it home i decided to try starting it again.... AND BOOM it started NO PROBLEM..... wtf was up with my car???

Quick Reply: beaters bringing in the trouble